HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #501  
Old Posted Yesterday, 2:32 PM
citydwlr citydwlr is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Feds owns it, Brookfield (owners of Place de Ville and Jean Edmonds Towers) manages it. All 4 entrances to the lobby area are open to the public along with 3 Brasseurs' entrance. A few empty retail fronts, like the old Holt Renfew, are closed for obvious reasons.
I'm surprised Brookfield hasn't tried to fill the former Holt Renfrew space with a grocery store... I could see a Loblaws drawing more traffic down in that end of Sparks, especially if they offer ready-made meals for the local businesses.

I've also wanted to see some sort of entertainment venue around there, or in the Place de Ville Podium, like The Rec Room or something like The Ballroom (or equally, Brooklyn Bowl).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #502  
Old Posted Yesterday, 4:35 PM
acottawa acottawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,592
I used to work in 240 Sparks. The building has some cool features, but the layout is a mess. I am not surprised the former Holt's is unfilled.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #503  
Old Posted Today, 1:04 AM
MichelKazan MichelKazan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gatineau, Quebec
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
I was just wondering today who was responsible for 240 Sparks, and especially the ongoing clustereff of figuring out which entrance is actually functional on any given day.
Only the Queen Street entrance is open 24 hours.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #504  
Old Posted Today, 1:41 AM
kevinbottawa kevinbottawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post
I'm surprised Brookfield hasn't tried to fill the former Holt Renfrew space with a grocery store... I could see a Loblaws drawing more traffic down in that end of Sparks, especially if they offer ready-made meals for the local businesses.

I've also wanted to see some sort of entertainment venue around there, or in the Place de Ville Podium, like The Rec Room or something like The Ballroom (or equally, Brooklyn Bowl).
I used to dream of an entertainment venue like The Rec Room or Dave & Busters in the CBD to attract people after hours and on weekends, but now I wonder if it would actually be successful. Perhaps if it was mixed use like the building opposite the Eaton Centre with the movie theatre, stores and restaurants.

A grocery store would be good for the old Holt Renfrew. Maybe it's taking long to find a tenant that's big enough to take the two floors. A chain restaurant like Moxie's could work.
__________________
Ranting since 2014 at shiftermagazine.com/kevin-bourne
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #505  
Old Posted Today, 3:14 AM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 5,886
Anyone of those multi-faceted entertainment venues would be cool on that end of Sparks and bring a whole lot of people evenings and weekend. Plugged into to Lyon station to boot.

I feel grocery stores would be more attracted to a location west of Lyon, closer to the residential area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #506  
Old Posted Today, 3:17 AM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 5,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelKazan View Post
Only the Queen Street entrance is open 24 hours.
That's awesome. The WEP is locked down after what, 6 p.m?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #507  
Old Posted Today, 5:01 AM
MichelKazan MichelKazan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gatineau, Quebec
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
I used to dream of an entertainment venue like The Rec Room or Dave & Busters in the CBD to attract people after hours and on weekends, but now I wonder if it would actually be successful. Perhaps if it was mixed use like the building opposite the Eaton Centre with the movie theatre, stores and restaurants.

A grocery store would be good for the old Holt Renfrew. Maybe it's taking long to find a tenant that's big enough to take the two floors. A chain restaurant like Moxie's could work.
The second floor of Holt Renfrew appears to now be occupied by a government offices (not sure which department).

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
That's awesome. The WEP is locked down after what, 6 p.m?
Think it stays open a bit later than that. Though, there's a small door on the O'Connor side next to Shoppers, which stays unlocked 24/7 for parking garage access only.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:18 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.