HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Feds owns it, Brookfield (owners of Place de Ville and Jean Edmonds Towers) manages it. All 4 entrances to the lobby area are open to the public along with 3 Brasseurs' entrance. A few empty retail fronts, like the old Holt Renfew, are closed for obvious reasons.
I'm surprised Brookfield hasn't tried to fill the former Holt Renfrew space with a grocery store... I could see a Loblaws drawing more traffic down in that end of Sparks, especially if they offer ready-made meals for the local businesses.

I've also wanted to see some sort of entertainment venue around there, or in the Place de Ville Podium, like The Rec Room or something like The Ballroom (or equally, Brooklyn Bowl).

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:35 PM

I used to work in 240 Sparks. The building has some cool features, but the layout is a mess. I am not surprised the former Holt's is unfilled.

Old Posted Today, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
I was just wondering today who was responsible for 240 Sparks, and especially the ongoing clustereff of figuring out which entrance is actually functional on any given day.
Only the Queen Street entrance is open 24 hours.

Old Posted Today, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post
I'm surprised Brookfield hasn't tried to fill the former Holt Renfrew space with a grocery store... I could see a Loblaws drawing more traffic down in that end of Sparks, especially if they offer ready-made meals for the local businesses.

I've also wanted to see some sort of entertainment venue around there, or in the Place de Ville Podium, like The Rec Room or something like The Ballroom (or equally, Brooklyn Bowl).
I used to dream of an entertainment venue like The Rec Room or Dave & Busters in the CBD to attract people after hours and on weekends, but now I wonder if it would actually be successful. Perhaps if it was mixed use like the building opposite the Eaton Centre with the movie theatre, stores and restaurants.

A grocery store would be good for the old Holt Renfrew. Maybe it's taking long to find a tenant that's big enough to take the two floors. A chain restaurant like Moxie's could work.

Old Posted Today, 3:14 AM

Anyone of those multi-faceted entertainment venues would be cool on that end of Sparks and bring a whole lot of people evenings and weekend. Plugged into to Lyon station to boot.

I feel grocery stores would be more attracted to a location west of Lyon, closer to the residential area.

Old Posted Today, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelKazan View Post
Only the Queen Street entrance is open 24 hours.
That's awesome. The WEP is locked down after what, 6 p.m?

Old Posted Today, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
I used to dream of an entertainment venue like The Rec Room or Dave & Busters in the CBD to attract people after hours and on weekends, but now I wonder if it would actually be successful. Perhaps if it was mixed use like the building opposite the Eaton Centre with the movie theatre, stores and restaurants.

A grocery store would be good for the old Holt Renfrew. Maybe it's taking long to find a tenant that's big enough to take the two floors. A chain restaurant like Moxie's could work.
The second floor of Holt Renfrew appears to now be occupied by a government offices (not sure which department).

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
That's awesome. The WEP is locked down after what, 6 p.m?
Think it stays open a bit later than that. Though, there's a small door on the O'Connor side next to Shoppers, which stays unlocked 24/7 for parking garage access only.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues