HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 2:58 PM

"No snowballs for me..."

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Thanks so much Flyingwedge. I thought I was going crazy.

What caught my eye about this postcard is what's written on the front.

"I Sleep Here At Nights."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/I-Sleep-Here...IAAOSwImRYTf8V Winter in East Lake Park, Los Angeles

I can't tell what's written on the sidewalk.

reverse / with 1910 postmark

Towards the beginning he says something about "balls for me they hurt my liver."

He also mentions he's in line for a job. (I can't decipher what kind) "van d _ _ _ _ _" something/

He's laid up with a sprained ankle from a spill off his motorcycle.
-which probably explains his homelessness.

----

update:

i just realized it says "vaudeville" job!
The whole thing says:
"Yours received. No snow balls for me, they hurt my liver. Expect to locate in Los Angeles for good. It makes "some" hit for me. Am in line for a vaudeville job ___ here. At present am layed up with a sprained ankle from a spill off my motorcycle. As ever. Pete M"

Some research reveals that "snowballs" may be a kind of rich food with a sauce.

In regard to the address being a bank, Roy Smith Preston, was a bookkeeper in that bank in 1910. He lived with his wife and two sons on Clinton Street in Charlotte. The writer of the card, Pete M, I thought might be a brother in law, as Roy's wife's maiden name was Metzinger, but I can't find him for sure. I did find a WWII draft registration for Roy Preston, 62 at the time, and still working for the First National Bank in Charlotte

There is a postcard online for January of 1910 which shows Bennett Park in Charlotte covered in snow with a creek running through it.

Last edited by oldstuff; Apr 20, 2017 at 4:10 PM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 4:29 PM

No "East Lake Park" about this!

"Pete" gets around...his postcard is postmarked Santa Ana.

I couldn't find any larger size of this, but this happens to be a
1910 postcard of Bennett Park, Charlotte, Michigan, to which the
gentleman was referring. Looks like snow...I wouldn't want to sleep
there nights, either!

http://www.eaton.migenweb.net/Bennett-Park.htm

Jan. 17, 1910
A very pretty ___ (place?)

Bennett Park,
Charlotte, Mich.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 6:30 PM

Here's today's Julius Shulman post. It's "Job 3257: Flewelling and Moody, Aviation High School, 1961".

Getty Research Institute

The description says "Location unknown, possibly in Redondo Beach, Calif.", so that's where I started looking. The following information is from the Wikipedia page for Aviation High School (California):
Aviation High School (Aviation, AHS, Avi-Hi) was a secondary school located in Redondo Beach, California which was in operation from 1957 to 1982.

Because of budgetary constraints in the early 1980s, in part due to California Proposition 13 (1978), the "South Bay Union High School District" decided in November 1981 to close one of its three area high schools, but promised teachers and administrators that they would not lose their jobs. Savings were projected at $1 million in maintenance costs. After much deliberation (via a 21-member citizen's committee) and several public forums, the district decided in April 1982 to close Aviation.

Classrooms of the campus were demolished in 1982, but the theater, gymnasium and track and field were maintained. The site of the campus is now the 14-acre (5.7 ha) "Aviation Park", home to the Redondo Beach Performing Arts Center (with a 1457-seat theater, recently renovated), the Aviation Gymnasium (including a 12,000 sq ft (1,100 m²). and 6,300 sq ft (590 m²). gyms and a 1,221 sq ft (113 m²) dance room) and the Aviation Track & Field, where an artificial grass soccer field is now surrounded by a 440-yard, five-lane, all weather running track using the original curb.
As far as I can tell, the buildings in the Shulman photo were in the south-east corner of the site. The aerial image on the left is from 1963.

Historic Aerials/Google Maps

You can see some pictures of the school being demolished here and here.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 6:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post
The whole thing says:
"Yours received. No snow balls for me, they hurt my liver. Expect to locate in Los Angeles for good. It makes "some" hit for me. Am in line for a vaudeville job ___ here. At present am layed up with a sprained ankle from a spill off my motorcycle. As ever. Pete M"

Maybe the ''snowballs" are flaked coconut covered balls of ice cream.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 7:00 PM

Red face 77 Sunset Strip Redux

I once again refer to that amazing photo (pg. 2063) of the nighttime motorcyclists streaming past Dino's on the Strip. I understand this photo was taken as of 1966, long after the series 77 Sunset Strip had ended (in 1962). But note in the photo that the building next to Dino's that served as the offices of Bailey & Spencer (which was actually a modeling agency in real life) has the iconic front door stretch awning that was the forefront of the beginning of each episode. What the heck was it still doing there? I'm sure it was only put up for the occasional location shots when filming.

Most of Dino's, the drive-through to the parking area (where Kookie dutifully combed his hair and parked the patron's "wheels") and the detectives' office was reproduced on the Warner Bros. lot to avoid the cost of location shooting, so the actual building was never in need of the awning being constantly present. I'm mystified at it's presence in this photo.

I once drove up Miller drive (the cross street off Sunset Blvd at that location) to get the exact perspective of where they filmed the opening credits of the series. Of course, Dino's and the adjacent office were gone by then. I consoled myself by going katty-corner across the street to Mel's Drive In (centerpiece of American Graffiti) to contemplate the days-gone-by while munching on a cheeseburger and lamenting I hadn't been old enough to visit the Strip in its heyday. I was all of 13 when the series ended.

On the other side of Dino's was another bar / restaurant known as the Sea Witch which was occasionally featured in the tv show. Whenever I'm watching the series reruns, I always freeze frame any of those location shots to carefully study the area. I almost always get an added bonus of something like a 1958 Desoto with huge fins in the shot. Bailey and Spenser always drove Ford models, generally of the Thunderbird convertible genre. I was so into the show that I once asked my parents for a snubbed-nose .38 revolver and holster for Christmas just like Stu and Jeff carried, and begged my dad to buy a Thunderbird. Neither happened. Call me crazy, I deserve it.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
LAPL says this photo shows the Music Room in 1971, but it looks like the Sitting/Living Room:
It's both the sitting room and the music room. It contained a grand piano (now there's an upright) and the keyboard console for the great Murray Harris organ, whose chimes, pipes, bellows , etc, are contained in the walls throughout the house (see photos). F.O. Engstrum & Co built the Murray Harris organ factory in Van Nuys in 1913. The organ at Artemesia may have been part payment for that job.

(Murray Harris built the world's largest organ for the 1904 St Louis World's Fair. It was installed at Wanamakers, Philadelphia in 1909 and later enlarged)

The console:

A detail:

artemesia

Thank you for the links.

Los Angeles magazine got one thing wrong though in this quote: "Frederick Engstrum was a rich man by the time he built Artemesia. He wanted a house that would celebrate his success, from immigrant stonemason to construction magnate"

Frank Engstrum was the Swedish immigrant father. Fred Engstrum, his son and business partner, born in Houston, built Artemesia when he was 39. Folks are forever getting F.O. and F.E. mixed up (or, as in this case, combining them).

I liked this quote from the LA Magazine article:
"[Engstrum] also chose to implement the latest in environmental and technical developments. A rainwater collection system supplied the bathroom showers; the resulting gray water was recycled in the garden. A tankless water heater fired only upon use, an early energy saver. He installed a fancy new electric intercom and central vacuuming system..."

Quote:

MUST find out this intriguing mystery t2.
_
I know! F. E. shut everything down and then all three partners (Engstrum, father and son, & Hugh Bryson) died within three years of other, 1920-1923. WTF? (If anyone knows what's-the-what it's Beaudry)

Beautiful Blanche Engstrum Bryson, daughter and sister, respectively, of Frank and Fred, and wife of Hugh Bryson, lived on until 1969.

They're all buried together at Inglewood Cemetery.

Artemesia is such a moose. I don't know who will buy it. It would make a terrific small, exclusive hotel, but the NIMBY neighbors would never go for that.

I just read in LA Curbed that Angelina Jolie may be buying the C.B. DeMille place in Laughlin Park, so maybe Brad Pitt, an apparent Craftsman aficionado, will buy Artemesia (my interest in celebrities only extends to their services to architecture). Each home (both built in 1913) is on approximately 2 acres and they are in adjoining neighborhoods. Artemesia's asking price is less than half of what the owners want for the DeMille estate.

Like Laughlin Park, Valley Oak Dr (once Artemesia's driveway) is also gated. Although there are many homes up there nowadays, one of Artemesia's lanterns still guards the entrance at Canyon Drive:

gsv

Last edited by tovangar2; Apr 21, 2017 at 9:21 PM. Reason: add image

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 8:08 PM

Quote:
While driving around in the google-mobile this past weekend I happened upon this interesting building on the corner of Maple Avenue and 24th Street.

Could this be an old fire station?

gsv

I thought I'd try and find out:

Is the building a stripped down version of the station below?

http://www.lafire.com/stations/FS007...ation_1500.jpg

__
e_r, That was a good eye and answer to your own question.

Now, this may be a dumb question on my part but were the parts of the building that have been removed used as lookout towers?
It seems that with the very limited communications of the time, that might have been one of the ways firefighting was conducted back then. That is a pretty flat area and it looks like mostly single story buildings so a perch up there would have offered a pretty good view.

Last edited by Bristolian; Apr 20, 2017 at 9:18 PM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 8:57 PM

Your guess is as good as mine Bristolian. I'd say the turret on the left might have been a look-out.

The tall thing in the back was for drying hoses, right? (see below)

Here are two amazing candid snapshots of the station taken in 1914.

Fireman McCann Scrapbook / LAFD

Fireman McCann Scrapbook / LAFD

note the building is open all the way thru.

__

http://www.lafire.com/stations/FS007...88-1915-hd.htm

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 20, 2017 at 9:55 PM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 9:07 PM

Thank you for Engine Company No. 7 e_r. I've never seen that one before (and thank you too Flyingwedge for the history of the remodel).

There's still some handsome detail (apparently from the remodel):

gsv

No backdoor these days:

gsv

Last edited by tovangar2; Apr 20, 2017 at 9:15 PM. Reason: add image

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 9:26 PM

But here's where it gets confusing.

Do you think this is the re-model Flyingwedge mentioned, or is this an entirely different building?

http://www.lafire.com/stations/FS006...06-01_1500.jpg

I ask this because...

You only see the photograph (above) if you click on the photo below.

this one

Go here and try it.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 20, 2017 at 10:21 PM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 9:35 PM

one more from Engine Co. #7:

It appears there might have been a spiral staircase (inside on the right)

328 E. 24th Street

Orignal Source: Lt B. W. Trowbridge
Courtesy: A/O Paul Gilbrook
Reading from left to right
Captain C. S. Jenkins, Driver. E. A. Valencia, Engineer F. P. Hewitt and Son,
Hoseman J. H. Perlin, Hoseman F. E. Dill, Hoseman, Driver E. H. Ricks and Lieutenant B. W. Trowbridge
Mascot Boo Boo (standing on hind legs)

this guy looks quite serious (& handsome )

detail
----

p.s. I'd love to know if that spiral staircase is still inside the building.
_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 20, 2017 at 10:15 PM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 9:48 PM

Quote:

But here's where it gets confusing.

http://www.lafire.com/stations/FS006...06-01_1500.jpg

Do you think this is the re-model Flyingwedge mentioned? (there's no explanation on the lafire website)

You only see the photograph if you click on a different photo.

this one

Go here and try it.
It's a mistake on the website. Clicking on that particular image shows a large version of a picture of Engine Company No 6 at 1279 West Temple Street (note the "FS006" in the image location). The page for Engine Company No 6 is here.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 10:18 PM

Thanks Hoss. I thought I was going crazy. (again)
--------

Shall we explore Engine Co. 6 ?

Engine Co. 6 appears to have had a spiral staircase in the same spot as Engine Co. 7.

http://www.lafire.com/stations/FS006..._crew_1500.jpg

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 20, 2017 at 10:31 PM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:

The date is 1961.

http://jpg2.lapl.org/theater3/00015516.jpg

also note the optometrist Dr. BARRY B -something- .....over on the right -->

I finally found out that Dr. "BARRY B -something" was Dr. BARRY BLEECK (with two slanted Es)

Vaudeville in 1949?

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/355291858073977296/

I wonder if that Simons Restaurant was owned by the same Simon as the Simons Drive-Ins?
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 20, 2017 at 11:03 PM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 11:29 PM

"I Sleep Here Nights."

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourmaline
It appears the author is comparing the post card photo to "Bennett Park", Charlotte, Michigan. "No B. Park about this."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster
"No snowballs for me..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff
The whole thing says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug
Maybe the ''snowballs" are flaked coconut covered balls of ice cream.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal
"Pete" gets around...his postcard is postmarked Santa Ana.

Thanks for the insights everyone! I appreciate your help.

I sure wish we knew 'Pete's last name. I'd love to see if he ever made it big in vaudeville.
_

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 11:53 PM

Quote:

I sure wish we knew 'Pete's last name. I'd love to see if he ever made it big in vaudeville.
_
Check the list here

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 12:40 AM

Pete may also being referring to a "snowball" which is a cocktail consisiting of Advocatt, a Dutch alcohol (eggs, sugar and brandy) mixed with lemonade. Too many snowballs could definitely hurt his liver.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 1:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
Pete may also being referring to a "snowball" which is a cocktail consisiting of Advocatt, a Dutch alcohol (eggs, sugar and brandy) mixed with lemonade. Too many snowballs could definitely hurt his liver.
I think you're correct Blaster.!!! Cheers.. it may be a holiday drink.

]Put a handful of ice into a cocktail shaker [if you have one...I don't].
Add the advocaat, cognac and juice from half a lime. Shake well and strain straight into a glass before ice has chance to melt and dilute the mixture.
Add just enough cold lemonade to double the liquid in the glass.

mediacashe

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Apr 21, 2017 at 1:24 AM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 1:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
Check the list here
Famous vaudeville act was Moms Mabley.

amedia

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos