HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
Can anyone investigate please? I'm starting to lose track of all the groundbreakings!

And apparently theres some soil testing being done at the 5-OH site.
I investigated, 100% there is no activity whatsoever at the 12th & Hope Onni lot. Just a lot of parked cars and 'Monthly Parking Available' sign.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
Can anyone investigate please? I'm starting to lose track of all the groundbreakings!

And apparently theres some soil testing being done at the 5-OH site.
We really should've done something when that one was going through planning.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post
I investigated, 100% there is no activity whatsoever at the 12th & Hope Onni lot. Just a lot of parked cars and 'Monthly Parking Available' sign.
Weird. Nothing on flower either?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kill 'em View Post
We really should've done something when that one was going through planning.
5-OH is going to happen.. pretty soon.

I wrote with J. Chase and with another MacFarlane contact.

It's not my favorite project either.

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_crow View Post
5-OH is going to happen.. pretty soon.

I wrote with J. Chase and with another MacFarlane contact.

It's not my favorite project either.
Though it's not what we hoped...with the new Pershing Square renovation and if the tower is built simultaneously, it's going to look and feel nice!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 7:26 PM

^I guess I can live with the tower, but not the 7 story. It'll take me a little while to come to terms with that.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Though it's not what we hoped...with the new Pershing Square renovation and if the tower is built simultaneously, it's going to look and feel nice!
Agreed, it will be great to fill in this missing piece. Personally I like the 7 story building in between, it will leave a mostly intact the view of the 4 wings of the classic Subway Terminal Building.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 8:50 PM

^ not just only that, but it will make walking around that part of dt more comfortable or have less of a sketchy feeling.

When I was strolling around there earlier this yr, it was the gaps that made it an experience that wasn't as pleasant as it should be. Those gaps work against the appeal of pershing sq, just as pershing sq's current design works against the properties surrounding it on all 4 sides.

ramping up the appeal of each portion of dt is at least as important as whether new devlpt will be highrise or lowrise, or has certain architectural features or not.

Making the general appeal of dt's various sections a lot stronger is what counts the most. for instance, the area around st vibiana's, several blocks to the east of 5th st & olive, was so undesirable....& gap ridden....not all that many yrs ago, that this type of event being held there would have been unthinkable in the past.

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post
I checked just now. False alarm. Nothing happening at the Onni lots. There is something going on at the low rise building. They have fencing up along 12th and are jackhammering the sidewalk to the main entrance in the front. Not sure what it's about but doesn't look related to Onni. Maybe a plumbing issue?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 1:57 AM

Significant black smoke/fire in the vicinity of Olympic and Hill (from my vantage point, guessing). What's burning?

Update: it's further east... east of San Pedro, Southern border of the arts district and northern border of the fashion district. 748 S. Ceres Ave.

Nice!!!

Last edited by ladowntowner; Jul 24, 2016 at 2:19 AM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 2:51 AM
:o

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladowntowner View Post
Significant black smoke/fire in the vicinity of Olympic and Hill (from my vantage point, guessing). What's burning?

Update: it's further east... east of San Pedro, Southern border of the arts district and northern border of the fashion district. 748 S. Ceres Ave.
This is the smoke from the Santa Clarita wildfire. It's all flowing south east from the valley directly over downtown leaving a gray hazy trail

edit: whoops, I stand corrected eclipse. Thank you. Man, seemed like the whole city was on fire today

Last edited by hughfb3; Jul 24, 2016 at 7:22 AM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 5:40 AM
:o

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
This is the smoke from the Santa Clarita wildfire. It's all flowing south east from the valley directly over downtown leaving a gray hazy trail
No, there was definitely a fire in DTLA.

@ABC7
Six commercial buildings damaged, 1 destroyed in downtown LA fire at textile business

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 6:17 AM

http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/trip...nb7Kz#image=13

^^^ Not surprisingly, LA makes the list as one of the worlds top beach cities (Slide number 13).

What did surprise me though was the fact that LA has 871 museums and galleries, more than any other city in the world per capita.

#Winning ?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 7:27 AM

Fire in Downtown Los Angeles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w08qNhPT2Uw

Video Link

Last edited by cesar90; Jul 25, 2016 at 3:40 PM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 5:12 PM

Tried out 71 above last night. So had a birds eye view of both fires.
Untitled by David Chacon, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 2:13 AM

Taken by me on (07.23.16) right after the fire on Ceres Ave was put out. You can still see some white smoke on the far right of the picture

Untitled by Marvin Bojorquez, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 6:07 PM

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 6:47 PM

They did a remarkable job based on the pictures. Looks like a top notch hotel

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 7:35 PM

^ I love the way old bldgs in dtla are being brought back to life!

Some of the rooms in the fig hotel may now be nicer than what's found in the biltmore hotel, which is also being slowly renovated on the inside. Some of that hotel's bathrooms....believe it or not....contain the type of industrial looking urinals often used in public restrooms! No wonder the biltmore's rating on yelp is quite low, far below what a supposedly upper tier hotel should receive.

I recall some of the hotel rms in the old wilshire grand hotel before it was torn down appeared to still have furnishings straight from the 1950s, back when it was the hilton statler hotel. A total renovation of that bldg must never have been carried out in over 50 yrs, perhaps due to that hotel's revenues ever being high enough to justify the expense? whatever the reason, yikes!

I think of visitors to LA through the yrs staying in those rms, or more recently staying in the tired old rms of the biltmore hotel, then dropping by the macys plaza bldg before its conversion into the Bloc. the sights that ppl would find in such locations wouldn't be exactly the best greeting card for out of town guests visiting dtla.

All these changes & improvements aren't arriving a day too soon!

Quote:
Developer Capital Foresight Opens Max Lofts, Its Second Neighborhood Project

ladowntownnews.com, Gary Leonard

Last summer, the Bel Air-based developer Capital Foresight opened the 77-apartment Garment Lofts in a 1926 building at 217 E. Eighth St. It was a rare residential play in the Fashion District, a community known as a hub for daytime workers, but that has lagged behind other Downtown districts on the residential front.

Now Capital Foresight has doubled down on the district. On July 1, move-ins began at the 96-unit Max Lofts. The project transformed a 1925 Art Deco structure previously known as the Maxfield Building. The 14-story edifice at 819 S. Santee St. is just south of the Garment Lofts.

Work on the Maxfield Building started in early 2013, according to Richard Moody, director of construction at Capital Foresight. PSL Architects handled designs for a project where the work includes new walls and the partitioning of the individual units, as some floor plans had been completely open in the past.

“We gutted the building completely, down to the concrete,” Moody said. “It was just a shell. We kept all of the original window frames and duplicated the front doors to the units.”

Leasing began in June, and according to building general manager Jorge Rios of Cannon Management, 22 units were occupied by mid-July. He noted that, similar to many other Downtown buildings, rents rise on higher floors. He also said that units on the west side of the building, which offer views of the Downtown skyline, are generally $50-$100 more than those on the east side of the project.

Although the Fashion District lacks the residential critical mass that has developed in some other Downtown neighborhoods, new businesses that appeal to loft dwellers are creeping in. That includes Coffee Colab, at 305 E. Eighth St., and Pop Obscure Records, which sells vinyl albums, at 735 S. Los Angeles St. Smith said that the neighborhood is becoming more active, particularly on streets east of Broadway, and that the Max Lofts continues that evolution.

ladowntownnews.com, Gary Leonard

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations