HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 2:27 PM

The fantasy Hamilton

The fantasy Hamilton: Artist renderings of projects that were supposed to happen

Here are 12 examples of how Hamilton is imagined by artist renderings

By Samantha Craggs, CBC News Posted: Jul 26, 2017 5:45 AM

Interesting but not a very good article. Some of the project where completed.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...ings-1.3724731

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 3:18 PM

I remember the Riccio Towers discussed on here, but I don't remember any community outcry against them.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 3:21 PM

Also with regards to the AGH expansion, I heard there was a lawsuit just filed against them over it.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Also with regards to the AGH expansion, I heard there was a lawsuit just filed against them over it.
I also heard this. Something in regards to them not paying the architect...

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 4:41 PM

Yeah that's it.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 6:57 PM

Agreed,interesting but not all are really skyline altering... I guess that is creative license.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 9:47 PM
Concerned Citizen

The zoning change sign is still in place for the Riccio towers. Not sure of it's status but it may still be ongoing. There was no outcry from the community, that I can remember.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 11:23 PM

I know that her little "Points of interest" quips were supposed to be funny, but unfortunately not.

What did make me laugh out loud was "Stinson spire." It kept getting better and better: "Stinson spire" the name itself, then the rendering, then "100-storey, 300 metre" (hahahahaha).

Thank God the Connaught is actually be redeveloped.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 1:00 AM
Ham-burgher

Riccio doesn't seem all that daring any more. But it would be nice to see the towers go up (if not at U.James/Stone Church, somewhere in the lower city... maybe Main St. West, or close to the West Harbour waterfront though that would likely get NIMBY-ed to death)

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 3:55 PM

Quote:
What's there now: Some renderings appeared to have the development at or near Sir John A. Macdonald school, which is still there. Others depicted it at the parking lot next to the Pigott building. That's still a parking lot.

^ That's a rendering I made in SketchUp and posted in the Carmen's Hotel thread years ago when we were discussing where we'd like to see it. It was never actually planned for that spot

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 4:39 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomax View Post
^ That's a rendering I made in SketchUp and posted in the Carmen's Hotel thread years ago when we were discussing where we'd like to see it. It was never actually planned for that spot
who the heck put that giant black eraser in that rendering

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 4:46 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomax View Post
who the heck put that giant black eraser in that rendering

also that area is only HALF a parking lot, the building that directly connected to the pigott building is still just oddly not being used..

Imo they should take this spot and the parking lot beside it, put in underground parking, and just put a massive building on both lots like was proposed above. Maybe something that combines elements of pigott and the CIBC to have a transition from old to new.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
also that area is only HALF a parking lot, the building that directly connected to the pigott building is still just oddly not being used..
I think that block-walled building at the rear of the Pigott is actually a multi-level parking garage serving the building on the corner and/or the Pigott building itself.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 6:32 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuller View Post
I think that block-walled building at the rear of the Pigott is actually a multi-level parking garage serving the building on the corner and/or the Pigott building itself.
hmm you could be right on that - looks like the only entrance to it is in between the church and the sun life building around the corner where there is a narrow alley.. and if so it is BRILLIANTLY worked in, as you can't even tell it exists.. imo all buildings should be like that.. parking garages that blend in with everything else.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 5:37 PM
Hammer'd

If you're referring to the blocked off, half grassy lot beside the Pigott building: it used to be a Royal Bank I believe. It was torn down some time in the late 1990's or very early 2000's. Because of a bylaw forbidding the operation of a parking lot on land where a building was torn down, it's just an empty lot. Same deal for the corner at Jackson and MacNab (which was, for a time, illegally operated as a parking lot directly after demolition)
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 10:28 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
If you're referring to the blocked off, half grassy lot beside the Pigott building: it used to be a Royal Bank I believe. It was torn down some time in the late 1990's or very early 2000's. Because of a bylaw forbidding the operation of a parking lot on land where a building was torn down, it's just an empty lot. Same deal for the corner at Jackson and MacNab (which was, for a time, illegally operated as a parking lot directly after demolition)
um.. most parking lots in the downtown core are where buildings were torn down..

and you are correct it was a bank - I believe that bank merged with the now CIBC building, thus I suppose there was no need to have 2 buildings.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 5:59 PM

I believe that in the late 1990s or early 2000s the city outlawed the operation of new parking lots on land where an old building was demolished. So the existing parking lots would predate this bylaw and the old RBC building was demolished after this took effect.

I don't have a link to the actual bylaw, but here is an old Spectator article from 2001 that makes reference to the bylaw as well as the imminent demolition of the RBC building:

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/2...ning-on-empty/

Quote:
Walking south from the gleaming glass of the CIBC tower, the first building you come to is the former Royal Bank Building. Its owner, also Yale Properties, caused a furor last year when it announced plans to demolish the six-storey structure due to lack of tenants. Today, the building sits empty awaiting its fate.
Quote:
Blanchard, who has an interest in a number of downtown properties, was in the headlines in 1999 when he tore down the former Canada Permanent building across the street from the Pigott Building. That prompted city council to pass a bylaw prohibiting developers who demolish old structures from opening parking lots in their place.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 2:42 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
um.. most parking lots in the downtown core are where buildings were torn down..

and you are correct it was a bank - I believe that bank merged with the now CIBC building, thus I suppose there was no need to have 2 buildings.
Royal Bank and Robinson's were on that lot, and a small building that once housed a drugstore. There was no merging of the banks. Parking was allowed where Robinson's and maybe the store used to stand (unless that was part of CIBC's new complex), but not RBC which was taken down much later than the department store.

Source

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 10:41 PM
Hamilton Historian

sorry I was thinking about how the Imperial and The Commerce merged in 1961 and the new institution was named The Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce.

You can read up on the CIBCs long history here:

https://www.cibc.com/content/dam/abo...t-story-en.pdf

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues