HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 3:42 AM

They've started work along parts of the route already, mainly on the eastern portion and where they haven't started they will be starting soon since most, if not all, the roads that cross the route have been detoured or closed completely as of last week. The rest they will be closing later this summer.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
They've started work along parts of the route already, mainly on the eastern portion and where they haven't started they will be starting soon since most, if not all, the roads that cross the route have been detoured or closed completely as of last week. The rest they will be closing later this summer.
Barlow Trail north of Country Hills is closing in early July. Boohoo! That's the route I take to/from Airdrie when the Deerfoot is stinkin' conjested! Now what do I do?

Apparantly the Barlow closure north of CHB is turning into a business park.

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 5:46 AM
Hicksville Perspective

Stoney Trail NW will make for a great bypass of most of the NW Calgary traffic ... particularly for Edmontonians headed to Banff ... mind you the downside is the bypass will also mean bypassing Pete's Drive In which is an important dietary pitstop when driving from Edmonton to Banff

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 6:52 PM

Can anyone explain to me the rationale behind the huge loops with wide turning radius' in these new interchange configuration. Would it not make more sense from a safety and economic perspective to have a more gradual arch to the flyovers?

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 8:07 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishavenger View Post
Can anyone explain to me the rationale behind the huge loops with wide turning radius' in these new interchange configuration. Would it not make more sense from a safety and economic perspective to have a more gradual arch to the flyovers?
Polish, I'm not understanding exactly what you are asking.

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 8:27 PM

I think he's referring to the loops such as from Northbound Stoney to 16th Ave NE, and on the Deerfoot interchange where the ramp goes way out to the right, then way past the interchange, then back in again.

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 9:35 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
I think he's referring to the loops such as from Northbound Stoney to 16th Ave NE, and on the Deerfoot interchange where the ramp goes way out to the right, then way past the interchange, then back in again.
The radii are huge to keep the desing speed limit high - for freeway to freeway connection. They do the curves like that for economy of grading - and because retaining walls are expensive to build - they angle the roads away instead of keeping them directly beside the main road because they need to have the room for the slopes.

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
The radii are huge to keep the desing speed limit high - for freeway to freeway connection. They do the curves like that for economy of grading - and because retaining walls are expensive to build - they angle the roads away instead of keeping them directly beside the main road because they need to have the room for the slopes.
The freeways in the U.S seem to have more intelligent interchanges, with flyovers that retain a gradual curve (the ones in the proposed ring road interchanges are really sharp and reduce speeds), something along the lines of what is being built at Mcknight.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 4:26 PM

I hope they can ban semi trucks from the Deerfoot after the ringroad is complete. It's ridiculous to drive to work during rush hour and get stuck boxed in by four double length trucks in front, behind and beside. It's happened to me several times

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 4:55 PM

Won't happen. Deerfoot is a provincial highway, and is intended to be used as the main north-south truck route, something the ring road will not change. Restricting trucks to some extent from using 16th avenue though is more realistic to happen.

Quote:
The freeways in the U.S seem to have more intelligent interchanges, with flyovers that retain a gradual curve (the ones in the proposed ring road interchanges are really sharp and reduce speeds), something along the lines of what is being built at Mcknight.
Yep, which is why I don't get those new interchanges, although I suspect that the design they are using was chosen more for cost (cheaper to build a single tiered bridge, then a two tiered bridge with the upper level at twice the height). I can understand that design being used for the 16th avenue one since they are only building 1/2 the interchange right now and the rest later, at which point lanes get re-arrange anyways, but not for a full interchange like the Deerfoot one.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 5:08 PM
恭喜发财!

The Deerfoot-Stoney interchange doesn't look too problematic to me - the flyovers look like they aren't too sharply curved. Of course, there are a couple of cloverleaf loops which could be a problem, though.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 9:01 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
The Deerfoot-Stoney interchange doesn't look too problematic to me - the flyovers look like they aren't too sharply curved. Of course, there are a couple of cloverleaf loops which could be a problem, though.
The cloverleaf loops shouldn't be a problem, those are the two "left turns" with the least traffic, plus they are still well separated from the main traffic flow.

The flyovers are probobly designed so you don't have to slow down.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 9:06 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
The cloverleaf loops shouldn't be a problem, those are the two "left turns" with the least traffic, plus they are still well separated from the main traffic flow.

The flyovers are probobly designed so you don't have to slow down.
That may be true, but anybody who drives in Calgary just knows that most idiots will still slow down to a snail's pace anyway.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 10:54 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
That may be true, but anybody who drives in Calgary just knows that most idiots will still slow down to a snail's pace anyway.
And those stupid suggested speed limit signs don't help either!
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 11:59 PM

everyone keeps saying how the flyovers are designed so traffic doesnt have to slow down. This is the exact opposite of what will happen when these interchanges are built. Has anyone driven the deerfoot barlow trail interchange? Try not slowing down when exiting off deerfoot onto north bound barlow. That ramp is horribly sharp, and that is the same design used on the ring road.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 2:32 AM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
everyone keeps saying how the flyovers are designed so traffic doesnt have to slow down. This is the exact opposite of what will happen when these interchanges are built. Has anyone driven the deerfoot barlow trail interchange? Try not slowing down when exiting off deerfoot onto north bound barlow. That ramp is horribly sharp, and that is the same design used on the ring road.
Barlow isn't a freeway though, it's speed limit isn't 100 anyway, so you are going to have to slow down sooner or later either way. I don't have any actual numbers, but I'd imagine that the radii or the ring road flyover ramps are greater then the Deerfoot/Barlow one.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Barlow isn't a freeway though, it's speed limit isn't 100 anyway, so you are going to have to slow down sooner or later either way. I don't have any actual numbers, but I'd imagine that the radii or the ring road flyover ramps are greater then the Deerfoot/Barlow one.
I think people are missing my point. The barlow/deerfoot interchange looks like it utilizes basically the same curve as the proposed ring road interchanges, which has a very pronounced and sharp curve. Many of the major freeway intersections in the United States utilize a significantly more gradual curve, which anectotally seem to take up less space, and provide a gentler transition from one road way to the next.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 4:46 AM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
I think people are missing my point. The barlow/deerfoot interchange looks like it utilizes basically the same curve as the proposed ring road interchanges, which has a very pronounced and sharp curve. Many of the major freeway intersections in the United States utilize a significantly more gradual curve, which anectotally seem to take up less space, and provide a gentler transition from one road way to the next.
No, I get exactly what you are saying. I'd be surprised if the ring road loops were as sharp as the barlow one, since barlow isn't a freeway. But I don't have any exact numbers or anything, so I could be wrong.

The ramp wouldn't have to take up much more space to make a huge difference. At barlow, they used up all the room that was available.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 7:26 PM

just north of 16th:

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 8:13 PM

Thanks for the updates, good to see the progress thats already been made!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure