HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Granville at 70th Tower I in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 7:49 PM
See ya down under, mates

Basically paying the "Vancouver" address prestige tax. Doesn't matter if it's a nice area or not as long as it's Vancouver proper.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Could be wealthy retired immigrants - close to Richmond without being in Richmond (i.e. greener, leafier streets nearby for strolling) and close to Shaughnessy if relatives live there. There are a number of Chinese restaurants nearby on Granville and there's a supermarket downstairs.
Nothing says upscale like a supermarket in the basement.

In addition to a ton of rental units available there's also a ton of resales, plus unsold units. Want to know why Vancouver prices are so high, look straight at this kind of speculative overbuilding. The city would have been better off with a purpose built residential highrise here.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Ya that Shangri-La sure is a dump.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:

In addition to a ton of rental units available there's also a ton of resales, plus unsold units. Want to know why Vancouver prices are so high, look straight at this kind of speculative overbuilding. The city would have been better off with a purpose built residential highrise here.
My reference to "wealthy, retired" wasn't a prestige reference, it was a reference to being able to pay a high price and not needing to be near jobs or transit - but that assumes they live there.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 2:18 AM

Before my s/o lived in Marpole, I also under-rated the area - but now I see the appeal for this project (in addition to the fantastic execution, as others have mentioned): You get extremely easy access to Richmond and the airport while having a prestigious west side Vancouver address. UBC is also close-by, and Granville is a very quick thoroughfare in off-peak hours (downsizers + well-off Asian immigrants won't care about a fast rush hour commute to downtown).

It's also important to remember how scarce new, higher-end condos are in the "deep" west side (ie. not Cambie and SEFC) - downsizers aren't spoilt for choice, so the less-desirable immediate surroundings are less of a factor. In any case, most of the shabby 1-2 storey retail on Granville should be redeveloped thanks to the Marpole Community Plan permitting a decent amount of density.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 3:09 AM

Quote:
A lot of people, seniors for example, would see this as hugely attractive.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 3:59 AM

Not sure how Marpole is an "undesirable" area. Close to UBC and all of its amenities. Atop a major grocery store. Close to a library. Quite a few good Asian restaurants (LOVE Red Star). Over the years, a few interesting businesses closed shop--a bakery, a fishmonger, Rogers Video. Hopefully, it will see a bit of resurgence when the new Marine Drive area is done.

What's wrong with its transit? The no. 10 is pretty frequent and reliable. Less sure about 480 from/to UBC. As someone who drove to UBC, that whole Marine Drive road SUCKS.

Given the neighbourhood, I'm gonna assume that the schools are good. I could see a few families who can't otherwise afford to live there in a SFH renting in the condo building so their kids can attend school there.

Last edited by memememe76; Apr 21, 2015 at 4:26 AM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 4:34 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by memememe76 View Post
Not sure how Marpole is an "undesirable" area. Close to UBC and all of its amenities. Atop a major grocery store. Close to a library. Quite a few good Asian restaurants (LOVE Red Star). Over the years, a few interesting businesses closed shop--a bakery, a fishmonger, Rogers Video. Hopefully, it will see a bit of resurgence when the new Marine Drive area is done.

What's wrong with its transit? The no. 10 is pretty frequent and reliable. Less sure about 480 from/to UBC. As someone who drove to UBC, that whole Marine Drive road SUCKS.

Given the neighbourhood, I'm gonna assume that the schools are good. I could see a few families who can't otherwise afford to live there in a SFH renting in the condo building so their kids can attend school there.
The 480 doesn't take Marine Drive, it goes up Granville and turns west on 41st Avenue. I take it every day to school and so I see a Marpole a lot. I'm actually pretty surprised by its reputation on here. I've actually come to like the area just bussing through it everyday, and definitely would consider it as a place to live if I was in the position of moving out.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 6:08 AM
See ya down under, mates

The one time I tried to take photos of the building a homeless guy in a wheelchair demanded to see my $700 phone and a crackhead woman/maybe prostitute egged him on. That coloured my perspective.

Anywhere near a 7/11 gets shady though I suppose.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodomReaper View Post
Before my s/o lived in Marpole, I also under-rated the area - but now I see the appeal for this project (in addition to the fantastic execution, as others have mentioned): You get extremely easy access to Richmond and the airport while having a prestigious west side Vancouver address. UBC is also close-by, and Granville is a very quick thoroughfare in off-peak hours (downsizers + well-off Asian immigrants won't care about a fast rush hour commute to downtown).

It's also important to remember how scarce new, higher-end condos are in the "deep" west side (ie. not Cambie and SEFC) - downsizers aren't spoilt for choice, so the less-desirable immediate surroundings are less of a factor. In any case, most of the shabby 1-2 storey retail on Granville should be redeveloped thanks to the Marpole Community Plan permitting a decent amount of density.
There's actually a fair amount of lowrise condo construction going on in Kerrisdale, which is much more desirable than Marpole. Marpole traditionally had a low rent vibe, first because of the mill and then all the cheapo 3 story walkups.

The smart money looking for a deep West Side condo would buy in one of concrete midrises in Arbutus Village. They're surpisingly low in price and are huge. You could buy it, gut it and still pay less than a new woodframe condo 2/3 the size.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 2:55 AM

Two cell phone photos from behind.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver