HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 2:55 PM

Holy smokes, its a battle of the panoramas, and in this battle, we all win!
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 3:42 PM

I can see how it cam come across as a bit fat to some people. However, I can't help but be in love with how this building is turning out. Even though it's not a new tallest, it definitely stands out in the skyline given the all-glass facade. I am sure it will be even more glamorous once the crown is complete.

And yes, we are all winning with these panoramas! I love all of them!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 5:10 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Ah, Pikes Peak. A world so close, yet so, so far away.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 5:53 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Ah, Pikes Peak. A world so close, yet so, so far away.
And to think, if the big boy gets built, it'll slice into Pikes Peak from here.
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
And to think, if the big boy gets built, it'll slice into Pikes Peak from here.
By big boy, you mean that ambiguous proposal that was posted, then taken down a while back?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 6:56 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
By big boy, you mean that ambiguous proposal that was posted, then taken down a while back?
Yes. That's correct.
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 7:13 PM

Amazon
There's plenty of money, Honey, so order up some more ground breaking shovels. Get the Gold Plated ones this time, will ya.

Wealthy Investors Are Leaving Hedge Funds for Real Estate
July 18, 2017 by Simone Foxman - Bloomberg
Quote:
Wealthy investors boosted bets on real estate and left hedge funds and equities as concern over high valuations and geopolitical risk push them back to basics.

They had 33 percent of their portfolios on average in real estate at the end of the second quarter, according to a survey by Tiger 21 released Tuesday. That’s a record since the group of high net-worth investors started measuring aggregate allocations in 2007.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
It will be interesting to see which major RiNo project breaks ground next. Will probably be either DriveTrain or Revolution 3600.
I've heard DriveTrain has hit the skids since the site was bought by a different developer. Unfortunate if true since that looked like a great project with a lot of visibility along Brighton Blvd, and also added for-sale condos to the mix in Rino.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 8:40 PM

Rising rents in metro Denver? Here's how high they are now

The article has some interesting numbers to look at. Apparently absorption is outpacing new supply despite all the new units being delivered.

Quote:
Apartment vacancy rates fell from 5.7 percent in the second quarter of 2016 to 5 percent this year.

These changes occurred even as 2,151 new apartment units hit the market, but absorption — the real estate term for the net change in number of units rented in a given time — continued to outpace the stream of new units coming to the market. In the second quarter, 4,348 units were absorbed.

Year-to-date in 2017, there has been a net increase of 9,012 occupied units, while in the full year 2016, 11,056 units were absorbed.
EDIT: NM. I was looking at Metro numbers and applying them to Denver.

Last edited by Sam Hill; Jul 18, 2017 at 9:59 PM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 9:49 PM

Nm

Last edited by Sam Hill; Jul 18, 2017 at 9:59 PM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hill View Post
EDIT: Look at that last sentence. 9000 units absorbed in half a year would be indicative of some serious population growth I would think - like well in excess of 20,000 people per year if this continues. Of course, it's not all that simple - in some neighborhoods families are being replaced with singles and young couples, and the for-sale market would also have to be taken into account, etc. - but still, no matter how you look at it, it's indicative of a substantial population increase for 2017.

I can recall a year ago when articles suggested that Fed-prodded banks would be pulling back the party tray on construction. I remember bcuz I posted a few of them. The amount of non-bank funding just grows and grows.

I also recall about a year ago when the first new DUS properties sold. The two wing buildings sold in one transaction and the Cadence At Union Station apartments in another. Both transactions were to Euro-based investors. Bet they are happy, happy.

While some may disagree (about architecture and whatnot) I still believe that Denver is sooooooo lucky that the biggest surge ever in downtown/urban construction is happening now. Overall the quality is strong and even improving as we go along. Denver is blessed to have some of the better national/institutional developers out there and projects are built to appeal to institutional-quality investors.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
While some may disagree (about architecture and whatnot) I still believe that Denver is sooooooo lucky that the biggest surge ever in downtown/urban construction is happening now. Overall the quality is strong and even improving as we go along. Denver is blessed to have some of the better national/institutional developers out there and projects are built to appeal to institutional-quality investors.
I don't know if I would agree that the quality is all that great, but having traveled around a little bit, it seems other medium-sized cities are getting some really cheep-looking projects - worse than most of what we're complaining about in Denver. Or maybe I just don't like contemporary architecture.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Well, it's still boxy... buildings that fat can't be anything but.
I dunno. Austin seemed to make it work. Could you imagine a crown like this atop 1144, with light strips and everything?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hill View Post
Rising rents in metro Denver? Here's how high they are now

The article has some interesting numbers to look at. Apparently absorption is outpacing new supply despite all the new units being delivered.

EDIT: NM. I was looking at Metro numbers and applying them to Denver.
Just when you thought the current boom cycle couldn't possibly hold any more surprises, stuff like this comes out and jaws drop. If you could time travel back to 2010 (the depths of the Great Recession) on this board and could post predictions about the magnitude of this upswing, you would have been laughed off the board.

Part of me still reminds myself that what goes up, must come down, and worries about a bursting bubble. And yet this cycle is like no other I've ever seen. If anything, the FEAR of bubbles and a lack of appetite for speculation has caused NOT enough money to pour into the market fast enough to meet real demand, leading to still very tight supply and high prices.

Those who did jump in early are watching the profits flow.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 1:50 AM

And now to ruin everyone's day. I present... 1144 15th Street at 60 stories tall...

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 2:14 AM

If they had just added a little more parking...

Last edited by semiurban; Jul 19, 2017 at 2:46 AM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 2:32 AM

Photo courtesy: Amanda del Castillo/The Denver Channel-7News Denver

City, Residents Say ‘It’s Time To Take Back Colfax
July 18, 2017 By Jamie Leary - CBS Denver 4
Quote:
The Colfax Avenue Business Improvement District (BID) has been working closely with Denver Police District 6 (DPD6) to thwart crime on Colfax. The murder of Justin Slyter on July 9 was the last straw for many.
What do the neighborhood residents think?
Quote:
DENVER (CBS4) – Safety on Colfax has been a problem for decades. Just ask the long-time residents.

The room went silent when one resident let her young son speak. He could barely get the words our before he began to cry.
Very nicely done piece by Jamie Leary of DENVER (CBS4). Check it out.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post

Very nicely done piece by Jamie Leary of DENVER (CBS4). Check it out.
The Network Coffee house is the problem? What absolute bullshit. I live at 12th/Logan.. so very close. It's not the coffee house. It's the ghetto liquor store on Logan/Colfax that is ground zero for nonsense on Colfax. Throw a healthy dose of McDonalds and you have a hell of a combustible mix.

It sucks. I go out of my way to avoid Colfax from Logan -> Clarkson.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 1:26 PM

I saw this article in the Denver Post about Globeville residents resisting development and gentrification.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/18...-neighborhood/

I find some the language quoted in the article interesting:

“The increases in the cost of living leave homeowners severely vulnerable to predators like the real-estate and fix-and-flip companies,” activist Rey Gallegos said at a news conference outside Focus Points Family Resource Center. It was organized by the Globeville and Elyria-Swansea Coalition Organization for Health and Justice.

“Now they send letters, they hang signs, they post fliers, they even call — and sometimes they just knock on your door to try to get people to sell their homes or move out of a neighborhood, just to alleviate financial woes,” he said. “So, all these factors are creating more stress, more pressure, and impact the physical and mental health of our community.”

So persons who come around offering to "buy" a home (now at prices sharply higher from even two years and perhaps a multiple of what owners paid for it) are "predators." These "predatory" practices apparently would "just" allow people to alleviate financial woes.

The sanctimony of Rey Gallegos is sickening. He wants to "protect" people from "just alleviating their financial woes" (which may include things such as paying for critical medical care of a loved one, for care of an elderly person, or for putting a child through college), in order "preserve" his vision of the "community."

It's ironic that, for many in this community, after decades of no real hope for financial advancement in a neighborhood that was completely overlooked, when changing times present real opportunity for many in this neighborhood to finally participate in a booming local economy "activists" who know better than they do what's good for them, step up to prevent that from happening.

I get the need to promote affordable housing and the city needs to think long and hard about how to best do that, and act accordingly. But treating dollars flowing into a community for reinvestment to build infrastructure, parks, apartments, condos, homes, offices,and restaurants as the "enemy", as predators, is utter stupidity.

Ironically, can you imagine the uproar if the development community had taken the opposite tact? If the developer position was that Globeville was a waste of time and that neither public nor private money should be invested there because, what's the point? Who would possibly want to live, work, or spend time in such area?

The city should certainly listen to people about how to promote affordable housing and be willing to back up that commitment with City resources. But I don't think the city should be using valuable resources to promote ill-conceived "land trusts" being driven by fear mongers who see all developers as "predators."

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 4:00 PM

350-unit apartment complex planned at near RTD's Colorado Station

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West