HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 1:39 AM

[St. John's] Hilton Garden Inn | 35m | 12 Floors | Proposed

Hilton Garden Inn - Proposed

(current design, September 30th, 2012)

This is a proposal by Manga Hotels to construct a new 12-storey, 150 room hotel in downtown St. John’s first proposed on, April 27, 2011.
Located on the corner of New Gower Street and Hamilton Avenue. The building pictured above is the revised, current proposal (Sept. 2012) The building was redesigned due to privacy and design concerns from nearby residents. Specs and height remain the same as the original proposal.

Floors: 12
Height: 35m

Location and proposed positioning of the hotel:

Article from The Telegram, April 27, 2011 detailing the original proposal (outdated: before revised proposal)http://www.thetelegram.com/Business/...26rsquo%3Bs-/1

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 1:42 AM

For comparison purposes, here is the original proposal submitted on April 27th, 2011.

Reminder; This is not the current proposal. I didn't want to include this outdated image in the OP to avoid any confusion.

This thread may remain pretty sleepy for a while until there is an official re-submission to the city, it is approved, or construction begins, but that's okay. At least it's here for when we need it!

If anyone has anything they feel I should add to the OP, just let me know and I will add it!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 2:02 AM

ok it's growing on me in your avatar hahahahaha then I see the up close one and its like meh ..

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 2:12 AM

I agree. It looks better shrunken down, which means it should look good at a distance

Maybe my avatar created to annoy (if that's the right word) Signal will turn into some kind of therapy treatment and convert him to pro-hiltonism!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 2:12 AM

Wow! I didn't really realize how small the footprint will be to this building. Even though its architectural design is meant to make it seem shorter, it may look significantly taller from certain view points.

I actually really like this new look! I can't explain why but it's just something about it! I know it does seem a little to "uptownish" but i personally like it much more than the original design.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 2:18 AM

I'll still be in a prominent site

remember this work of art

you can see it wil be further right to the corner so there will be tonnes of space left on the site for their seconf tower

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 2:22 AM

Does anyone know if the second tower is supposed to be higher or lower than the current proposal?

Edit: well yeah it does have more suburban look. I'm not fond of the windowless side either or the over usage of glass on top, the design may be manipulated serveral times yet, who knows?. But it's not really that bad

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 2:43 AM

It could just be that rendering but it looks very 'cartoonish' to me.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
It could just be that rendering but it looks very 'cartoonish' to me.
Haha, I thought the exact same thing!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post

you can see it will be further right to the corner so there will be tonnes of space left on the site for their second tower
There's room for 3 or 4 towers. I would love to see some taller residential buildings go there.

Signal, I really don't think it's as bad as you're making it out to be The colors are much better than pink, peach, green, or light blue on any building or certain parking garages, haha! But, to each his own!

I don't think we should be taking the design as the gospel either. I'm sure this won't be the final, final design. The finished product may look similar to this, but I still feel there will be some changes to the design before it's actually build (hopefully addressing the blank wall issue) One thing about the blank wall I don't understand: How does the front of a hotel facing New Gower Street, invade the privacy of apartment owners in a building behind the hotel?? I'm a bit confused by that!

edit: The blank wall we were talking about is on the back, but still doesn't explain the blank wall on the front..

Last edited by Townie709; Dec 15, 2012 at 3:52 AM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 2:21 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Yuck. I am ashamed that my city will host this glorified Travel Lodge. Ugly, cheap, tacky. Fast food restaurant/auto parts dealer on ground level, then a warehouse, and an industrial park building to top it off.

All that plus hideous colours and a blank side with absolutely no windows. It's the very best in suburban Tallahassee design.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfoundlander View Post
Yuck. I am ashamed that my city will host this glorified Travel Lodge. Ugly, cheap, tacky. Fast food restaurant/auto parts dealer on ground level, then a warehouse, and an industrial park building to top it off.

All that plus hideous colours and a blank side with absolutely no windows. It's the very best in suburban Tallahassee design.
So there are no windows on the other side? How do you do that with a hotel? Does that mean there will hotel rooms with no windows? I'm confused.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
So there are no windows on the other side? How do you do that with a hotel? Does that mean there will hotel rooms with no windows? I'm confused.
This does seem very strange??? Hopefully when the LUAR gets released it'll answer some of these questions.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 3:53 PM

I think we are getting a very unique Hilton garden inn (even the first proposal) .. from the looks of google they are not typically very fancy on the outside

for example
The one in halifax (at teh airport)

others from google

The one in montreal is nice

This one is nice too:

Toronto:

most of them look like kenmount road developments

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 4:07 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post

They're allowed to build this one in St. John's if they insist on going cheap.

But this is the only one I'll allow.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 4:17 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfoundlander View Post

The bolded part actually made me lol! I totally agree though.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 12:53 AM

Lets keep in mind that the Garden Inn isn't the Hilton's top-ranked hotel chain, and is typically considered to be their discount chain. Asking for a design like Fortis Place would be too much. There's room for improvement, but I fear if council doesn't accept one of these two designs for the building the company will pass on the development all together.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 1:33 AM

I agree. We can't ask them for an architectural masterpiece for a lower-class hotel. Compared to their other hotels, it looks like they've been trying to make this one unique. I think the new design, with a few tweaks could be nice. i would like to see the blank wall issue addressed and I think it would look really nice if they changed the color of the bricks to a dark brown and cream colour (Like the color scheme used on the Lemarchant Road Condo proposal)

What do you think?

Edit: I like the one that signal highlighted. I think that one would be a nice fit as well.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 4:12 AM

We should have had a poll on this page asking which render people liked better!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 5:11 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Nicely done thread Townie, I've added the link on the first page.
About the blank walls, it is apparent that they have changed the layout somewhat, so the plans should explain why there are any blank walls.

Part of the balance of the design is that the top is suggestive of a mansard roof - justa thought.

Last edited by Architype; Dec 15, 2012 at 5:31 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's