HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 12:47 AM
ARTchitecture

Calgary has unveiled the design of the new pedestrian bridge that will connect Chinook Centre, the largest mall in the city and eighth largest in the country, with Chinook C-Train Station. The bridge will allow pedestrians to bypass the 9 lanes of traffic at the Macleod Trail intersection and will be climate controlled. Construction will be complete late next year.

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/city-revea...ntre-1.3038757

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 10:45 PM

City of Montreal unveiled today the renderings of the Esplanade Clark, one the last large swat of undeveloped land in the Quartier des Spectacles. It's presently a surface parking lot. Works will be finished by 2019.

Complement to the Place des Festivals

Located to the west of Clark Street, between St. Catherine Street and De Maisonneuve Boulevard, Esplanade Clark will be a 5,000 m2 public space. In the summer, it will serve as an urban terrace with user-friendly outdoor urban furniture and food stands. From November to March, it will be home to a refrigerated outdoor skating rink. The atmosphere of this public space— located at St. Lawrence / St. Catherine crossroad area—will differ from, yet complement, that of the Place des Festivals with a lively but intimate design. Urban furniture, with a focus on relaxation, will be created as part of a design competition.

West of the Esplanade, a multi-purpose pavilion will house a restaurant, an "urban chalet" with changing rooms and a leisure space, and multi-purpose rooms. To give the space a warm, user-friendly atmosphere, the architectural concept includes the use of wood for the structure and the interior of part of the building. In addition, there will be a grass-covered surface where mobile stages can be set up for various events. The project, which will cost $67.1 million, also involves rebuilding Clark Street, resurfacing to improve universal accessibility in the Place des Arts sector, and construction an access building to the Place des Festivals' underground mechanical room.

What it looks now:

Source

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 11:30 PM
Look at me!

Good news. Finally.

That new space will be a challenge, it's surrounded by some truly revolting buildings (I'm looking at you SPVM).

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 7:43 AM
Montérégien

I'm happy it won't be empty and sketchy anymore, but I still think this space should have been built, question de réparer la trame urbaine éventrée du secteur... There are already many beautiful public spaces all around.

But I'll be positive : it's an interesting "temporary" use, while we wait for a real mixed-use project that would do wonders to Sainte-Catherine.

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 1:09 PM
Explorateur urbain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laceoflight View Post
I'm happy it won't be empty and sketchy anymore, but I still think this space should have been built, question de réparer la trame urbaine éventrée du secteur... There are already many beautiful public spaces all around.

But I'll be positive : it's an interesting "temporary" use, while we wait for a real mixed-use project that would do wonders to Sainte-Catherine.
At a price tag of $67M, this could be there for a while...

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 1:14 PM

Yeah, this is permanent. And there are plenty of surface parking lots and undeveloped land in the area for the next decades at least.

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 1:23 PM

City of Montreal unveiled today the renderings of the Esplanade Clark, one the last large swat of undeveloped land in the Quartier des Spectacles. It's presently a surface parking lot. Works will be finished by 2019. So it's going to take over 2 years to build a park or plaza ( if you want to call it that) considering the gruelling 4 hour work shifts Montreal city workers (and contractors) put in, I wouldn't be surprised if this thing is ready for 2025

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 6:36 PM

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 2:14 AM
Back from the dead

I'm pretty sure Montreal is the most cultured city in North America. I know, kinda random but every time I see pictures of it I'm amazed at how cosmopolitan it looks.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 2:59 AM

From MtlUrb.com member IluvMTL

Last edited by Martin Mtl; Jun 25, 2017 at 3:18 AM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 3:05 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
I'm pretty sure Montreal is the most cultured city in North America. I know, kinda random but every time I see pictures of it I'm amazed at how cosmopolitan it looks.
Sorry. Not allowed to say that on here.

(Not even sure I'd agree 100% believe it or not but being sarcastic in light of how opinions like this are muzzled these days.)

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Sorry. Not allowed to say that on here.

(Not even sure I'd agree 100% believe it or not but being sarcastic in light of how opinions like this are muzzled these days.)
Of coarse you can! Your own personal view is your own personal view, and it doesn't matter what others think! But I know what you mean, it can cause a shitstorm of pettiness, and passive aggressive posts towards you and any future posts that you may make, and then just complicate things and make coming on here less enjoyable, unfortunately.

I, for one agree that Montreal is one of the most cultured cities in North America, definately in the top 5, at least, but that's just my personal opinion and no one should be offended by it! But I'm sure someone will, lol.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 1:12 PM
I am the law!

That's one of the few examples of an actual opinion. Most "opinions" posted on the forum aren't opinions at all. They tend to be self aggrandizing statements that are easily proven wrong.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 1:29 PM

"Cultured", cosmopolitan, sophisticated, friendly, tacky, sleazy, hard-edged, chronically "low". Surely all components of what makes Montreal Montreal, no?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 3:42 PM
Give us a kiss

Whether or not it makes us appear more cultured, I think this renewed attention to public spaces and design is a welcome and long overdue trend. Many areas remain in varying states of disarray, but we seem to finally be doing something at scale to improve things. I have high hopes for the Ste Cath revamp.

OTOH the esplanade Clark project leaves me scratching my head. As others have mentioned, it is surrounded by truly horrid buildings which unfortunately are likely here to stay for the next 20 years at least. But the most concerning thing for me: that entire lot virtually never gets any direct sunlight. Combined with the complete lack of any interesting vistas, I fear it will make for a perpetually underused public space, especially given the relative abundance of excellent public squares and park space within a 5 min radius.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 1:46 AM

Rue roy pedestrian summer look. Le Plateau in Montreal.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BV0wL0Ll...aken-by=kegmtl

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 7:11 AM

Few things for downtown Vancouver.

1. New park for downtown Vancouver at Smithe and Richards (860 Richards St.)

Quote:
Amenities will include:
- Small café space with public washrooms
- Community plaza with decorative water feature and seating throughout
- Pedestrian bridge and promontory that traverses through the site
- Children's playground
- Community gathering harvest-table
- Multitude of new trees, shrubs, and perennials
- Overhead sky-frames to support lighting and temporary installations

2. Renderings of the new creekside park.

3. Entertainment District (Area 6C Food & Beverage Row)

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 8:23 AM
BANNED

[QUOTE=christmas;7853145]Few things for downtown Vancouver.

Will be perfect for Stepford Wives and render people!

Cant't wait to fall asleep there!

For more information:

incrediblyboringpublic/privatespaces.com

Last edited by OutOfTowner; Jul 3, 2017 at 8:40 AM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 3:17 PM

I am reminded of something I heard many years ago - there are no boring places ..... only boring people.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada