HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 2:00 AM

I sense some new skyscrapers to be built in San Antonio very soon..

For some strange reason, hah, I strongly sense there will be new skyscrapers on San Antonio's horizon. Not anything related to whats already anticipated or talked about. Be waiting for a jaw dropping surprise.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 3:03 AM

Please elaborate....
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 3:11 AM

I have some what of a sixth sense, which is in tune most of the time. Thats about as much as I have for you now.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 4:14 AM

very funny

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 2:14 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

if this is a 7 story residence inn, i will probably explode in rage.

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
if this is a 7 story residence inn, i will probably explode in rage.
8 stories... and it's a Hampton Inn at The Rim.

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 7:25 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

(eye twitching...vein bulging from forehead...)

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 7:54 PM
Hmmm....

How is that? The lots are either too small or the empty buildings are deemed historic by HDRC standards.

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 8:27 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
For some strange reason, hah, I strongly sense there will be new skyscrapers on San Antonio's horizon. Not anything related to whats already anticipated or talked about. Be waiting for a jaw dropping surprise.
if this has anything to do with the city hall annex, reply with a nodding smiley face.

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 8:36 PM

...yeeaah.... well i've been feeling that way about my city lately, but so far it doesn't appear my "instincts" have been producing any results. Maybe I should work on my clairvoyance skills a tad harder.

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 8:52 PM
Meh

I'm going to the store tonight for some incense in preparation for a skyscraper dance.

?

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 4:08 AM

That would be cool SA needs more skyscrapers

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 7:04 AM

Just be happy we got a few new projects these past few years ha. Id be happy with some more damn infill.

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 8:26 PM
JACKinBeantown

As a lover of skyscrapers I feel at liberty to say this:
Trust me, guys. It's much better to have controlled growth than uncontrolled growth. SA seems to be slowly adding midrises with retail at street level, as well as park space, as opposed to several highrises and skyscrapers (with the exception of the Hyatt, which is an eyesore).

In NYC you'll find that most people work in midtown and downtown amongst the skyscrapers, but after work they live and play in other areas that are much nicer places to be. Greenwich Village, Tribeca, Soho, etc. have mostly buildings in the 5-8 story range, but they're the places people like to hang out.

Patience and planning creates a great city.

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 4:16 AM

^Yea, and Austin is still sticking to mostly 3-5 story buildings, better, but still not dense enough to help retail. Riverside has to be the place for more of the 6-12 story buildings.

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
I have some what of a sixth sense, which is in tune most of the time. Thats about as much as I have for you now.
That's funny. I have a sixth sense also. Actually it is more like a 7th sense. My sixth sense is.....well....that's top secret. My 7th sense is the ability to sense large objects that are built from the ground up in the S.A. metro area. I know that sounds odd but it's true. Right now I am sensing that there will be 3 new high rises in the S.A. metro area by the year 2029. These buildings will have doors and windows and oh ya, they will be taller than trees. I am soo excited!!!

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 6:38 PM

If anything new and tall is added to the downtown area in the near future that has not already been mentioned, it will most likely either be a parking structure or a jail.

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinNYC View Post
As a lover of skyscrapers I feel at liberty to say this:
Trust me, guys. It's much better to have controlled growth than uncontrolled growth. SA seems to be slowly adding midrises with retail at street level, as well as park space, as opposed to several highrises and skyscrapers (with the exception of the Hyatt, which is an eyesore).

In NYC you'll find that most people work in midtown and downtown amongst the skyscrapers, but after work they live and play in other areas that are much nicer places to be. Greenwich Village, Tribeca, Soho, etc. have mostly buildings in the 5-8 story range, but they're the places people like to hang out.

Patience and planning creates a great city.
Excellent, excellent post. "Skyscrapers" are going to be a rare thing in SA, which is good, because they don't generally result in good urbanism.

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 3:03 AM

I just have a strong feeling something big is in the works.

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren View Post
That's funny. I have a sixth sense also. Actually it is more like a 7th sense. My sixth sense is.....well....that's top secret. My 7th sense is the ability to sense large objects that are built from the ground up in the S.A. metro area. I know that sounds odd but it's true. Right now I am sensing that there will be 3 new high rises in the S.A. metro area by the year 2029. These buildings will have doors and windows and oh ya, they will be taller than trees. I am soo excited!!!
Please promise us that you will not post without having first taken your lithium.

I do not concur about a significant construction of skyscrapers (or the construction of a significant skyscraper) in SA. First, the way that tall, dense downtowns develop is through high-priced land. You see, if, let's say the hypothetical ABX Corporation needs a 700,000 square foot building for its headquarters. If land values are relatively cheap, it is cheaper for them to build a large lowrise building. However, if the land values are expensive--in excess of a certain threshhold--it becomes cheaper to build up. That has been the situation in nearly every city that has a substantial collection of skyscrapers in their downtown areas. Downtown SA still has open areas, numerous "Allright Parking" lots and other open areas. It appears that with still relatively cheap land, there is (at least) not yet the demand for the high rises that grace many large cities in the US and elsewhere. Throw in a weak economy and it seems highly unlikely that SA will have anything over 350 feet in the next few years. Hope I'm wrong. SA is now too large of a city to have a miniature skyline. I just don't forsee this changing soon, though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio