HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 3:06 PM
Community Guy

Streets For People - Walkability Symposium - April 27, 28, 2016

The City of Edmonton, the Alberta Professional Planners Institute (APPI), and the Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE) are hosting an evening event on Wednesday, April 27th and a full day symposium on Thursday, April 28th with Jeff Speck, author of Walkable City and one of the world’s leading thinkers on smart growth and urban design.

Streets for People: Why Creating a People-friendly Downtown is Important

When: Wednesday, April 27th from 6pm – 8pm (Partner Fair to begin at 5:30pm)

Where: City Room, City Hall
Join us for an evening with Jeff as he talks about why a walkable downtown is important, followed by a Q&A period.
General admission – FREE

Streets for People: Edmonton Walkability Symposium

When: Thursday, April 28th from 8am – 6pm

Where: Sutton Place Hotel (10235 – 101 Street)
About the event:
Jeff Speck is one of the world’s leading thinkers on smart growth and urban design. Join him and other presenters for a one-day symposium that will provide practical and inspiring steps to help build a more people-friendly, multi-modal city. All passionate city builders are welcome.

Tickets and more info here:

http://www.eventbrite.ca/e/for-peopl...=eventurl_text

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 6:38 PM

^^^What a great event! It would be worth going to hear Jeff speak.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 4:39 PM
Community Guy

There is still time to sign up for the Streets for People Walkability Symposium on April 28.
Can't make the symposium? Then stop by the free, public presentation on April 27 by Jeff Speck. He'll be speaking on "The Importance of a Walkable Downtown". The event begins at 5:30 p.m. at City Hall, in the City Room.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 6:36 PM
Community Guy

The three things I took away from this morning.

1. Honking helps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBwaxejP76g

2. Lane diet time for this city.

3. http://www.arttouryeg.ca

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 4:46 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 7:42 AM

Just to show how much the city cares about walkability, they have removed the stairs next to Edmonton House that connected Bellamy Hill to 102 St.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 2:21 PM
Community Guy

^that's correct. That set of stairs was a continuous problem area, one of the worst downtown actually. A Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED) review was done, I am happy to share the report with people if they drop by, and it led to removal of the bushes, cleaning up of the hillside and removal of the stairs. I would like to see a new set placed a few meters north where the fence ends such that people do not have to hike quite a bit further east just to go back west, but you can certainly take 99ave and then 103st as it is.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 3:00 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^that's correct. That set of stairs was a continuous problem area, one of the worst downtown actually. A Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED) review was done, I am happy to share the report with people if they drop by, and it led to removal of the bushes, cleaning up of the hillside and removal of the stairs. I would like to see a new set placed a few meters north where the fence ends such that people do not have to hike quite a bit further east just to go back west, but you can certainly take 99ave and then 103st as it is.
ugh those stairs were a vortex of shit.

For all the promises those dwanyes home guys made they couldn't even keep their shit together meters behind the building.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 3:21 PM
Community Guy

^I would argue that it was not Dwayne's home folk, but rather others who know them causing issues.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
Just to show how much the city cares about walkability, they have removed the stairs next to Edmonton House that connected Bellamy Hill to 102 St.
You mean, of course, the overpass that connects over Bellamy Hill to Edmonton House. It was a hell hole - and we used the steps often. Hopefully they will construct something further up Bellamy Hill - keeping it simple, in full view, and making if difficult for people to loiter and create a mess. Now if they would clean up the steps on the east side of the Chateau Lacombe I would be a happy camper ... remove all bushes and trees - use annuals and low type shrubs.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 8:42 PM

Quote:
103 St is another option though it is a steeper climb.

But SHOFEAR has a point though, those stairs have been there for decades and they weren't an issue before that motel was turned into a homeless shelter.

I also agree with Trekker that McDougall Hill stairways also needs to be cleansed. It's become a popular place for drug addicts and homeless campers. As it is, many pedestrians tend to cut through the Chateau Lacombe parkade and risk getting hit by a car driving up the entry ramp instead of having to put up with the riff-raff on the hill stairs.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 10:18 PM
HVAC guru

The stairs on 104st just south of 99 were a constant problem when we had the place down there. And that was before Duane's home opened

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 11:17 PM
Community Guy

^those are MUCH better now. Many more folks using them.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 12:13 AM
HVAC guru

That's wierd since there's fewer people living in the area now. A friend who lives in our old building says things can be a little sketchy there still

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 5:20 AM
Community Guy

^huh? More, more often, more active.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 1:33 PM
HVAC guru

Uh huh, whatever you say..

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 2:11 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
The stairs on 104st just south of 99 were a constant problem when we had the place down there. And that was before Duane's home opened
Those were a mess in 2009/10 when i lived in vivacity. i think it was the fifth floor on the north side....pretty much at the top of the tree line. It wasn't street rats that were the problem, it was hood rats. They'd would come down there and smash cheap boxers and hang out with their stolen bikes and just act like assholes. it was always fun to be suddenly by woken up by a massive ruckus and realize people in hillside estates had had enough and were tossing eggs.

Quote:
^I would argue that it was not Dwayne's home folk, but rather others who know them causing issues.
pretty shitty excuse.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 2:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
^huh? More, more often, more active.
400 less people living Downtown in 2016 vs 2014.

I know your bias is bought & paid for but try to tone down the spin.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 3:26 PM
HVAC guru

^ I was referring to the fact that vacancy rates are up and about a dozen dwelling units in that vicinity have been demolished, and no new construction in the area. So it's curious that all of a sudden there are all these new folks around

But I guess one sees what one wants to see

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 3:36 PM
BANNED

In the (paraphrased) words of Wanda from BoJack Horseman:

"When you look at a neighborhood with rose coloured glasses on, all the red flags just look like flags".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton