HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Spaghetti Factory draws constant large crowds. I don't go there often but whenever I do, it's packed. It's hard to believe that the space on the 2nd floor couldn't pack people in too.
Finns used to be the lounge for Spaghetti Factory. About 6-7 years ago SF sold that part and closed it off. Because the kitchen was in SF on the main floor – Finns had no kitchen... Dingo's (hot dog place) made the food for Finns after that, using George Foremans, microwaves, and a "french fry machine." It closed the food was horrific and WOW! never invested a cent to keep it clean and nice. Any new restaurant would need to incur massive costs to install proper ventilation and fire suppression systems.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
From what I've heard, The Forks has no interest in owning the Johnston Terminal. They own the land it's on and make some money there. There's always vacancies in the retail areas, and they don't want to deal with 2 floors of office tenants. Don't forget nothing has even take the Finns spot, which you would think would be a prime location. Big issue is the lack of ventilation for a proper kitchen is a huge cost hurdle.

This could change in 5 years when there's more buildings (and residents) at The Forks, and demand is higher, but right now it just doesn't make sense to take that on. And at that point, Artis would likely want to keep it, and invest in modernizing it.
The retail has been improving for the last few years and they're always putting money into it... hopefully the catalyst that is the marketplace ratchets it up.

Something needs to be done about the former Finn's place though. I used to go their frequently in its first and second iterations. should be a great location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Turn Finn's into residential, that would be a beauty penthouse
If you can deal with the noise... not a bad idea... hell, tunr the south 1/3 of the higher floors into res also. Or atleast 2 large units per floor.
Quote:
Finns is on the second floor. Spaghetti Factory is below and there's two floors of offices above, including Citizenship and Immigration for some bizarre reason. They actually hold people who are about to be deported on the 4th floor sometimes.
Lol they hold people there??? Never would have guessed!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Finns is on the second floor. Spaghetti Factory is below and there's two floors of offices above, including Citizenship and Immigration for some bizarre reason. They actually hold people who are about to be deported on the 4th floor sometimes.
Immigration is moving from there I believe.

Also, I don't believe they actually hold people there. Anyone actually held on immigration warrants/orders are held at the provincial remand centre.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollswpg View Post
Immigration is moving from there I believe.

Also, I don't believe they actually hold people there. Anyone actually held on immigration warrants/orders are held at the provincial remand centre.
They actually do, I used to work in that building. This parking spot with the bollards surrounding it (where the black Explorer is) is reserved for immigration, and you will often see "armoured" vehicles like Explorers and Expeditions parked there. If there's one there, it means they have someone in holding up there.

I don't think they're using it for a jail or anything like that, but they definitely bring people there to hold for interrogation.

It'd be great to see them move out and something else take it over. I still think offices would be the best use (unless of course they think they could open the whole thing up to retail lol).

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 6:34 PM

I was at The Forks last night for the first time in forever (normally when I go it's during the day, with kids in tow). Wow, what an atmosphere. It's really a wonderful place to visit in the evening and the new McNally's is a very nice touch.

Now that The Forks is packing them in again I wonder if a retail renaissance could be in the making? The quality of the shops is improving steadily.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I was at The Forks last night for the first time in forever (normally when I go it's during the day, with kids in tow). Wow, what an atmosphere. It's really a wonderful place to visit in the evening and the new McNally's is a very nice touch.

Now that The Forks is packing them in again I wonder if a retail renaissance could be in the making? The quality of the shops is improving steadily.
I was there last night too. It wasn't even that busy compared to other nights I've been there! Sometimes you can not get a seat at all in the common food hall. Last night we got one right away.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 6:52 PM

^ that's what the bartenders told me last night... They said the line for drinks is usually quite long. Looks like I came on the right night

Incidentally, their bartenders must be the friendliest bunch in town. It all added up to a great time.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 7:11 PM

Usually a great time! Went for a skate on the river trail too. Assiniboine is closed but they went quite far south down the Red this year. Was quite surprised.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 9:03 PM

Believe this is the last weekend the trail is open they announced, barring another deep freeze in the next week.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Believe this is the last weekend the trail is open they announced, barring another deep freeze in the next week.
the Red trail is still open just Ass trail closed

Old Posted Mar 4, 2018, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
the Red trail is still open just Ass trail closed
Nope. It's all closed. Red River portion was just all that was still open yesterday. Everything, including on-land, is now closed.

https://twitter.com/TheForks/status/970299947307470848

Old Posted Mar 4, 2018, 5:07 PM
surely you agree with me

Last Sunday they had 70,000 people at the forks. Dead of winter.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2018, 5:13 PM

Quote:
They actually do, I used to work in that building. This parking spot with the bollards surrounding it (where the black Explorer is) is reserved for immigration, and you will often see "armoured" vehicles like Explorers and Expeditions parked there. If there's one there, it means they have someone in holding up there.

I don't think they're using it for a jail or anything like that, but they definitely bring people there to hold for interrogation.

It'd be great to see them move out and something else take it over. I still think offices would be the best use (unless of course they think they could open the whole thing up to retail lol).
I thought the Customs/Immigration holding cells were in the Victory Bldg @ 269 Main St.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2018, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Amazing!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2018, 6:37 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
crazy eh were slowly moving towards the winter coty we should be

Old Posted Mar 4, 2018, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
crazy eh were slowly moving towards the winter coty we should be
Or perhaps it's just that last Sunday reached -3°C in the sunshine after a long stretch and four consecutive weekends of fairly cold temperatures.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2018, 6:52 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Or perhaps it's just that last Sunday reached -3°C in the sunshine after a long stretch and four consecutive weekends of fairly cold temperatures.
even during the deep freez its been busyer then it woulda been a few yrs ago...

Old Posted Mar 4, 2018, 7:19 PM

Quote:
I've seen The Common's revenues for January and they are STAGGERING. Even more crazy when you remember that's JUST off beer and wine at the kiosk, not even the rest of the Market's revenues. The Forks is looking really good going into these big changes. Restaurants would do ANYTHING to get numbers like The Common is producing.

As a hint (I'm not going to disclose all of it)... if they kept up January pace all year, revenue from The Common would be in the millions. And there's no reason to think they can't keep it up or improve that in summer.

Quote:
Louis Riel Day/weekend gets those numbers as well, regardless of weather.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2018, 10:09 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Nope. They average 50,000 on weekend days throughout the winter now. The long weekend was out of control. It was cold.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2018, 11:05 PM

Those are incredible numbers.

Now that the Commons is on fire FNP could stand to improve other parts of the market to accommodate these big crowds. Washrooms are somewhat inadequate now, with just one mid-sized main floor washroom and a few tiny ones throughout the building. It would be nice if they duplicated the seating arrangements of the middle atrium in the other two wings as well... seating is at a real premium a lot of the time. They might also have to remove some of the retail spaces on the floor as they block movement when the place fills up.

It's really something else to see this newfound civic mania for The Forks. Just 5 years ago it was looking kind of tired and worn out, and now people are on the verge of quitting their jobs just to make sure they can snag prime seating in there. (OK, I made that last part up)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan