HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 2:03 PM
Dartmouth Girl

Little bit of construction news from Russell Lake just to let everyone know what is going on:

Millstone Square shopping plaza has now begun construction, the building frame is going up and it looks as though it will be quite a nice little shopping centre when it's done. (2, maybe 3 floors on segments... or a 3 story clock tower type thing?)

The building at the bottom of Baker Drive (just up and across from the Oregans car mall is coming along well too, they are already on the second floor.

Ground clearing & levelling to prep the site on Baker Drive beside Kent and the circ for building construction. I was speaking to the construction guys on my way to work the other day, site is going to be (I quote directly) "a really big apartment building". So we should expect to see a crane up alongside the highway relatively soon.

The lot directly across from that on the other side of Baker Drive is now for sale, zoned for a big condo/apartment complex, should go quickly as the other sites on that street zoned for the same barely lasted 2 weeks.

The intersection along Baker Drive and what will be the other end of Portland Estates Blvd. eventually.... work has begun on clearing way for the actual road around the lake, water pipes, sewage and nat. gas guys have been there all week making their way clearing the woods and putting in/prepping for services.

Not sure how the status of construction is along the road along the lake is going, its been a while since I've been down there, my daily walk is along baker from Sobeys to Portland I will be heading out this afternoon (hopefully) for photos to keep everyone updated!!! (Woo day off!!! )

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 5:10 PM

Thanks for the update. Even though I live relatively close I don't get out that way much.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 2:01 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Photos as promised!!!

Millstone Sq. as seen from the Sobeys parking lot, circ on the left (it is going to extend all the way over to the side of kent where the unfinished wall is):

BMO progress:

Couple of the new condo/apartment building on the corner of Baker Dr. and Freshwater Trail:

...a little closer...

More street extention to the current end of Freshwater:

The view from the entrance to the new condo project along Baker (with the crane from the other in the background ):

Guys beginning work on the foundation:

Pano of the new site under construction to give some scale:

Squished houses along one of the streets off Baker:

Best for last, I just really like this image!:

All photos taken by me!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 1:43 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Update from the Russell Lake area of Dartmouth!

Considering I'm up there every day I can't believe it's been almost a year since a post in this thread!

here is a colour marked map of the progress as of today:

Green - open & complete

Blue - Under contruction

(As a note- there has been changes.. mainly additions, to the layout of the buildings-to-be along Baker Drive/Basswood Trail, opposite to Sobeys/Kent)

Residential Portion

The condo building at the bottom of Baker Drive which was under construction for the last year has opened in the last week, a steady flow (and even line ups ) of moving vans have been in and out constantly on a daily basis. People are in there, I was speaking with some residents on the way to work and they say it is a lovely building, solid, quiet and well built. Well, I assured them they've got a good spot as I walked past several times weekly since the building's construction!

The area will also see a new crane up very VERY soon... as in... probably next week!!!... The condo building near the lake (shaded in blue) is very close to starting. While at work this evening I saw many trucks going by with red framework on it, wondering what it was, it clicked that it was the pieces of a tower crane... I double checked on the way home, and yes, indeed they are parked on the site, and several out on the road. So keep your eyes open for that.

The condo building midway along Baker Dr. (beside the circ marked in blue) is well on it's way, the exterior is pretty well finished aside from some asthstetic touches and they've been increasingly busy inside lately. This building is identical to "The Wexford", at the bottom of the hill on Baker, save for a few small things like a covered entrance and siding colour

The bottom of the area, along the lake on Freshwater Trail has been coming along nicely, the road has been extended as far as it will go, and houses are popping up along it.

The Road between Freshwater and Basswood (running parallel to Mount Hope), Peachtree Ave. is complete, a couple foundations so far, again, typical clayton style... everything is flattened and levelled off... but it'll look nice once filled in..

Basswood is complete up to the green mark on the map, with site prep at a couple locations along it... so we may see something happening in there soon?

There has also been work going on on the large site behind my Sobeys on the opposite side of Mount Hope Ave, site prep...clearing? I have no idea, but they've been busy.

Now onto the retail portion!

Sobeys, still going strong and has been increasingly busy since the Woodside store closed in February. (it's also the #1 Sobeys in the Atlantic & Eastern regions when it comes to customer service, appearance, quality... basically everything! - just thought I should add that ) Kent is still pulling strong and getting busier as well.

As for Millstone Square, the building is complete, I beleive the upper floor is Clayton's area offices... or some other office, it's about half of the upper floor of the entire building. Now for some tennants! Sam's Seafood Bar & Grill is going in the unit directly beside Kent- I was talking with the owners at the Tacoma location the other day at supper and the Russell Lake location is set to open in the next couple of weeks to a month, There is another restaurant going in on the opposite end of the building "It's All Greek To Me!" said to be opening this summer... but I haven't seen any work recetly... so I am thinking it is going to be more towards fall. I am understanding Starbucks is still going to be a tenant in the retail area as well. Not sure what else yet- but I shall keep everyone posted.

----------------------------------------

Phew- well, enjoy everyone, long read, but it's a whole years worth of updates! I'll post some photos when I am up that way with my camera!

Also could I request this thread be renamed just Russell Lake West- as the retail portion is just another portion of the whole development. Thanks!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 1:12 AM
Dartmouth Girl

The crane I saw going along Baker Drive in pieces yesterday was indeed headed for the lot just off of Freshwater Trail! They put it all up today save for the front of the boom and the counterweights!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 6:00 PM

New homes selling despite hard times
Residential sales in Dartmouth’s Russell Lake West ahead of schedule, says Clayton’s Greenwood
By BRUCE ERSKINE Staff Reporter
Mon. Oct 12 - 4:46 AM

DARTMOUTH — Quality will out, even in tough economic times, says Peter Greenwood, vice-president of real estate services with Clayton Developments Ltd., builders of the Russell Lake West community in Dartmouth.

"We’ve been pleasantly surprised," he said in a recent interview when asked if the recession had slowed Clayton’s 109-hectare mixed-residential development off Highway 111 between Portland and Pleasant streets.

"We expected a downturn, but it’s been minimal," he said. "It’s well ahead of schedule."

Russell Lake West, which broke ground in 2005 on a hill overlooking the lake, is three-quarters complete and will include more than 400 town homes and single-family dwellings when it is finished in 2013, said Greenwood.

"We’ve sold a lot," he said, noting that the success of the development in a global recession speaks to its prime location, its proximity to major arterial routes and the quality and variety of the housing there, including accommodations for seniors.

The development includes property earmarked for a school, but Greenwood said Clayton has received no word from the Halifax regional school board about whether it plans to build one.

"It’s up to the school board to tell us," he said.

Clayton sold the land containing the nearby Millstone Square retail and commercial development to Westwood Developments Ltd., said Greenwood.

Millstone Square has Sobeys and Kent Building Supplies outlets that opened about a year ago, said Westwood principal Danny Chedrawe.

The complex also includes a new It’s All Greek to Me restaurant, the first in Dartmouth, as well as dental, dry cleaning and bakery tenants.

"It’s been very positive," said Chedrawe in an interview.

He said half of Millstone’s office space has been leased and the next phase will include a medical centre that will house a main floor Lawtons drug store and upstairs doctors’ offices.

Chedrawe said the redeveloped Moirs property on Pleasant Street near the intersection of Highway 111, which is anchored by Value Village, a used clothing and furniture outlet, doesn’t compete directly with Millstone Square for Russell Lake business.

"We’re closer to the (Russell Lake West) residential development," he said.

Greenwood agreed, noting that Millstone is different from the Moirs development and has synergies with Russell Lake West.

Greenwood said he didn’t know what, if any, development might take place on the land south of Russell Lake West, which is controlled by the Department of National Defence.

( berskine@herald.ca )

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 5:09 PM
Dartmouth Girl

Russell Lake developer wants to add apartment buildings

By BILL POWER Business Reporter
Sat. May 8 - 4:53 AM
Clayton Developments Ltd. wants to reconfigure the final stage of its Russell Lake West development.

The developer is seeking permission to build apartment buildings at a location previously set aside for a school, Joseph Driscoll, a senior planner with Halifax Regional Municipality, said Friday.

"The reconfiguration also adds a little more parkland to the area, so there could be a proper entrance off Basswood Run and a wider walkway to the lake," he said.

The developer is also seeking to amend the city’s municipal planning strategy and an existing development agreement to allow for a mix of changes in housing types and lot layouts.

"This is just the logistics resulting from the decision of the school board and the province not to take the land to use for a school," said Mike Hanusiak, general manager and senior vice-president at Clayton.

Russell Lake West is a community under development in Dartmouth. The 109-hectare, mixed-residential community is located just off Highway 111 between Portland and Pleasant streets.

"It adds up to a marginal increase in population density which blends nicely with existing development in the area," said Coun. Bill Karsten (Portland-East Woodlawn).

The councillor said it was disappointing the Education Department did not act on the municipality’s effort to retain a block of land off Basswood Run for a junior high school.

"The department has indicated it does not buy land for schools based on future growth projections," Karsten said. "The developer originally agreed to set aside this block for a school for five years and this holding period has expired."

The councillor said changes proposed by the developer will likely proceed to a formal public hearing within the next few weeks. A public information meeting is part of the process. It will be held on Monday at Portland Estates Elementary School, 45 Portland Hills Dr. The meeting starts at 7 p.m.

Karsten also said negotiations are continuing between the city and the Department of National Defence for a road across land owned by the military that would connect with the new Highway 111 connector.

"This is a critical component of ongoing development in this area," he said.

Clayton Developments is anticipating a spring 2011 construction start for some lots in the final phase of Russell Lake West, with initial residential units being available in the fall.

( bpower@herald.ca)

Haven't really had a chance to pay much attention to this thread as my life was pretty much being eaten by finishing college up for good and working pretty much almost every waking minute of my life for the past couple of weeks...

Russell Lake West thread revival! Construction is starting up closer to the highway now on the area right across from Sobeys and Kent, will get a little diagram up in a little bit!

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 5:21 PM

Russel Lake looks like a pretty reasonable start to some mixed use communities in HRM - not great, but good start. Probably slightly higher in density would be better (taller condos in the 6 to 10 storey range - especially considering the distance to Woodside Ferry). But that's just my opinion.

My only dislike with typical commercial like this is that there are huge expanses of parking. I'd like to see more thought put into how the commercial is developed and push the buildings closer to the property line at the street and hide the parking behind the buildings. So for a site like Kent, I'd like to see the commercial buildings wrap around the exterior of the property while the parking is all centred and not easily visible.

Old Posted May 16, 2010, 5:12 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Alright! Here it seems is my pre-summer update for Russell Lake West!

pink=complete
blue = U/C

Red = the land usage change that Clayton wants to have done to accomodate a bunch of condos/apartments instead of the school idea, since the school board has sat quietly for 5 years about the land without even a murmur.

The blue block on the right of the image containing the 3 condo buildings is a very active site right now, grading and excavation has been going on for the past couple of weeks on the area I've circled in white, and what grabbed my attention was the cement trucks at the site in the last couple of days, pouring below grade. When I was on my way to work this afternoon I noticed a mobile crane on site, and what appears to be the first bottom few segments of another tower crane. These guys don't often work on sundays, but I work bright and early Monday morning and will let everyone know about that, I'm curious to know how tall it('s) (and the other 2) are going to be.

The small building (top left on the map) is basically complete on the outside, just some finishing and brickwork to be completed, I spoke with one of the crew when walking down the hill last week and it'll be move-in ready by the summer.

Other rumors floating around about the area (as like anywhere around here some of them are pretty ridiculous) for the shopping area directly adjacent to Sobeys, a second cup or starbucks is the most common thing I've been hearing (shameful, no tim hortons!) as well as across from kent, a 2 story office/community medical clinic. Across Baker Dr. between the current condo construction site and the road I'm pretty sure I've heard a confirmed "small shopping plaza" type deal (one of the crazy rumors I heard about that site was a small wal-mart). Across Mt. Hope Ave (behind Sobeys) the only thing I'm sure about so far is that there is going to be an Irving gas station.

I'll be bringing my camera up that way hopefully Monday and will be able to snag a couple shots when off work.

Also- I'd like to request the thread to be named just Russell Lake West as this community is expanding so much now. Thanks!

Old Posted May 17, 2010, 8:18 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Russel Lake looks like a pretty reasonable start to some mixed use communities in HRM - not great, but good start. Probably slightly higher in density would be better (taller condos in the 6 to 10 storey range - especially considering the distance to Woodside Ferry). But that's just my opinion.
Yeah, it's not great, but it's better than some alternatives. Something else to keep in mind is that the metro area has really been "filling in" lately rather than sprawling out. Even though this is suburban it's better than starting up a new Sackville or Fall River. I wouldn't mind seeing some more growth concentrated in this area, particularly if there is a new third bridge. It would also be possible to open up areas south of Halifax to more development (Spryfield etc.). Right now they don't have very good transportation connections.

This has probably been answered somewhere, but does anybody know the status of the remaining forested land just inside the Circumferential in Dartmouth, at the end of Mount Hope Ave?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2010, 4:14 PM

A crane going up in the area today.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2010, 4:33 PM

The building that is going up will be 4 stories, approx 80 units. The crane is going up to acomodate the large floor plan and concrete construction of the building.

This is the developers first shot at somthing this scale, so keep you eye on this one, as they will be doing two more up there once this is complete.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2010, 11:21 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

As seen from the previous pics this crane is highly visible from most of downtown Halifax. Hard to see when those Nasty "tall" buildings get in the way though.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 7:29 PM

Here's a zoomed in photo of the crane from the boardwalk;

Also I spotted this just to left of the crane. It could be in Mount Pleasant Industrial park or Russell Lake;

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Also I spotted this just to left of the crane. It could be in Mount Pleasant Industrial park or Russell Lake;
It's on the NS hospital, I think they were lifting something onto the roof.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 6:22 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

A few quick shots from my phone today. I'm not sure what the second shot will be. It used to have a sign I think before Earl.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 5:28 PM

I am fairly certain this is a new Lawton's Store with some doctor's offices on the second floor.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 10:20 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northend Guy View Post
I am fairly certain this is a new Lawton's Store with some doctor's offices on the second floor.
Another Lawtons! Wow! This one looks smaller than the most recently completed ones. With the one on Main St it wouldn't have to be that big I suppose.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 9:44 PM

Here it is:

Details: Opening Spring 2011

Location: Located in HRM's Fastest Growing Residential community and only minutes from the Dartmouth General Hospital and the NSCC.

Parking Lot: Well lit parking area, an abundance of free parking, with 10 foot wide parking stalls and easy on-site traffic flow with many access points

Features: A two storey, 26,000 square feet medical centre with Lawtons Drug Store on the ground floor (13,000 sq. ft.) and other medical related medical services on the second floor (13,000 sq. ft.)

The Medical Centre has excellent access to the 111 highway and is only minutes to Burnside Industrial Park, Woodside Industrial Park, Halifax Bridge and the Ferry Terminal.

Source: westwoodgroup.ca

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 12:29 PM

HRM staff back change to Clayton project
School board doesn’t want Dartmouth site
By BRUCE ERSKINE Business Reporter
Wed, Nov 17 - 4:54 AM

Quote:
Halifax Regional Municipality staff is backing Clayton Developments Ltd.’s application to remodel its Russell Lake West development in Dartmouth.

"We recommended it," said HRM planner Joseph Driscoll in an interview Tuesday.

The recommendation to amend the municipal planning strategy and the Russell Lake West development agreement had a first reading at regional council Tuesday.

It will likely be the subject of a joint public hearing with the Harbour East community council in December, Driscoll said.

Municipal staff concluded that Clayton’s application to allow it to build apartments on Russell Lake West land, set aside for a school, was "consistent" with the strategy and "reasonable" since Halifax regional school board doesn’t plan to build there.

"The school board doesn’t want the site," said Driscoll, who noted that municipal policy allowed Clayton to apply to develop the land after the board backed out.

Under the original development agreement, Clayton planned to build 186 dwelling units in the final phase of Russell Lake West, a 109-hectare, mixed-residential community located off Highway 111 between Portland and Pleasant streets.

Under the amendment proposal that number will increase to 322 units, including two 80-unit apartment buildings on the school location.

Driscoll said the original agreement didn’t count the school land, which can support 150 units under municipal planning policy.

"There could be 336 units," he said.

The reconfiguration results in a "minor" density increase but Driscoll said the changes would add more parkland to the development.

Clayton is also tweaking part of the development adjacent to the runway at 12 Wing Shearwater as a result of a Defence Department decision to keep the airstrip open.

Clayton senior vice-president and general manager Mike Hanusiak, who called the company’s application a logistical matter arising from the school board decision, couldn’t be reached Tuesday.

District 7 Coun. Bill Karsten (Portland-East Woodlawn), who said earlier the amended development plan would blend nicely with what is already there, was also unavailable for comment.

Clayton plans to begin construction on the final phase of Russell Lake West next spring.

( berskine@herald.ca )
Chronicle Herald Article

Information Report from Regional Council Agenda

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs