HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 12:56 AM

Apparently there used to be a real indoor shopping mall where this parking lot is now. Does anybody have any information on that??

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav View Post
Apparently there used to be a real indoor shopping mall where this parking lot is now. Does anybody have any information on that??
Google Earth shows it as a forested area as of October 31, 2005.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
Google Earth shows it as a forested area as of October 31, 2005.
Oh, ok, Im no familiar with the area, but ive heard things about a "Downsview Mall" that once existed in the area. This must be a different place

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav View Post
Oh, ok, Im no familiar with the area, but ive heard things about a "Downsview Mall" that once existed in the area. This must be a different place
The Downsview mall is bound by Beaver Bank Road and Sackville drive. It is the former site of the Sackville Downs horse racing track. The Wal-mart moved from Downsview to Bedford Commons.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 6:17 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Downsview used to be similar in scale to Penhorn. Up until sometime in the 90s I think the Sobeys building was connected and was a K-Mart. There was also a pretty big Sunday flee market.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 9:46 PM
BUILD!

Yeah the Sobey's was a part of the mall until they built the one that is there now (in the early 90's). I remember getting free balloons and candy from their grand opening ( I was 3 years old so free balloons and candy were amazing).

Does anyone have any idea if anything is going to be going forward on the Bedford Commons? Aside from the new Payless up there, not much has happened recently.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 5:55 PM

While looking for information on the new Staples that work has started on in Bedford Commons, I came across some interesting information.

http://www.plaza.ca/portfolio/New_Br...019%202011.pdf

Looks like the bookending of Sackville with similar stores continues. Hopefully we can get a restaurant or coffee shop set up in the area soon.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1drunkduck View Post
While looking for information on the new Staples that work has started on in Bedford Commons, I came across some interesting information.

http://www.plaza.ca/portfolio/New_Br...019%202011.pdf

Looks like the bookending of Sackville with similar stores continues. Hopefully we can get a restaurant or coffee shop set up in the area soon.
Yikes that is good and bad news for the area I guess.

The three stores listed are already present in the Bedford-Sackville area which means their current locations could be closed to make these economically. Winners is in Bedford Place Mall and the other two are in Downsview.

If Downsview keeps on being abandoned I can see a major redevelopment of the area occuring. Bedford Place would be harder to replace since it is all connected but they could always add offices onto the North portion (Winners location).

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Yikes that is good and bad news for the area I guess.

The three stores listed are already present in the Bedford-Sackville area which means their current locations could be closed to make these economically. Winners is in Bedford Place Mall and the other two are in Downsview.

If Downsview keeps on being abandoned I can see a major redevelopment of the area occuring. Bedford Place would be harder to replace since it is all connected but they could always add offices onto the North portion (Winners location).
I'm not surprised about Downsview. It seems to be following the same path as Penhorn. I would agree with you DJ though - it would be a great spot to redevelop. Mixed use perhaps - 10 to 15 stories?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2011, 1:11 AM
BUILD!

There is a 6 storey height limit in Sackville unfortunately. I'm personally opposed to all these stores moving out of proper Sackville up to the Bedford Commons. Sackville has barely any retail as it is and by potentially closing staples the Downsview area will decline and there won't be anywhere really to shop.

On a side note, a new pizza place has moved into Sackville.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 3:25 AM

Some shots I took today;

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 2:31 AM

Staples is coming along nicely;

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 11:36 AM

I wonder if the staples in Sackville will close because of this or if this is more meant to serve the bedford side.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
I wonder if the staples in Sackville will close because of this or if this is more meant to serve the bedford side.
I predict that it will close. I really don't think that there's enough of a demand to keep both of them open. Any idea what the sq. footage of the Downsview store is? The new one is 20,000 sq. ft.

EDIT: After looking at this and doing a few measurements I figure it's probably just over 16,000 sq. ft.

Last edited by JoeLouie; Apr 24, 2011 at 12:10 AM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLouie View Post
I predict that it will close. I really don't think that there's enough of a demand to keep both of them open.
I'm not so sure about that. There are 3 Staples alone in Dartmouth and 2 of them are within a 1km of each other (Burnside and DC)!

Both Sackville and Bedford are fast growing areas which easily have the population to support their own Staples. Also both of these Staples have Canadian Tire locations next to them which seem to both do well.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
I'm not so sure about that. There are 3 Staples alone in Dartmouth and 2 of them are within a 1km of each other (Burnside and DC)!

Both Sackville and Bedford are fast growing areas which easily have the population to support their own Staples. Also both of these Staples have Canadian Tire locations next to them which seem to both do well.
While you are correct two of the Dartmouth locations are in major business parks which is where the large demand comes from (12'000+ workers in the area means a lot of business needs). The Bedford Commons has two business parks nearby but both are small so the non-residential need for Staples is low same with Downsview. I think the two could stay open but it would be much harder than in Burnside.

One thing I am wondering about is the restaurant lots in the parking lot. Boston Pizza is already in Downsview so I'd like to see Montana's and a chain new to Halifax, say Moxie's? Or dare I dream an Earl's (like in Calgary)! However if Boston Pizza does move it would allow the former Wal-Mart parking lot to be redeveloped into something remotely attractive.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 10:01 PM

I don't think Boston Pizza will move from Sackville, the place is too new there.

I would like to see some non-chain restaurants open up there, stuff that is already in Halifax. Rogues roost, Your fathers Mustache, or that one from Quebec that has opened up downtown.

As long as it's not another McDonalds, I'm fine.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 10:40 PM
opinionated so and so

Bedford Common exists to remind us how well thought out the design and build of Dartmouth Crossing is, despite its faults.

I find BC pretty gross. I know its not done but I think its going to suck a lot of life out of "downtown" Bedford, from a decent mixed commercial strip in the heart of a town, and move it to a soulless, isolated business park. Yech.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 11:17 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
Bedford Common exists to remind us how well thought out the design and build of Dartmouth Crossing is, despite its faults.

I find BC pretty gross. I know its not done but I think its going to suck a lot of life out of "downtown" Bedford, from a decent mixed commercial strip in the heart of a town, and move it to a soulless, isolated business park. Yech.
Hmm, you make some good points here... I think time will tell, if they plant as many trees as the BC map shows, it could be nice. DC has some major faults, but I think superior storefronts.

Credit: Daniel Nestor Tennis Centre website

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 2:00 AM

I hate huge developments like these,
i actually dont mind little strip malls like along lacewood or even some around cole harbour

but these super huge ones are ridiculous

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs