Old Posted Aug 14, 2016, 1:03 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I always like comparing different ages.

A before and After: ESB and Chrysler, 1934 VS 2016

1934:

ca. 1934 - Midtown Manhattan Skyline. Aerial view. by cobravictor, on Flickr

2016:

One World Observatory - Midtown by Brad White, on Flickr

The super talls will rise!!! 2020 is next. The sequel in 4 years.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2016, 1:40 AM
Mr. Technology

WOW!!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2016, 1:26 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

45 Broad + 80 South + 3 WTC + Seaport

Credit: Thomas_Koloski

Old Posted Aug 14, 2016, 10:49 PM
Mr. Technology

Now that's the transformation that Downtown really needs!!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 11:54 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.dezeen.com/2016/08/05/new...#disqus_thread

New York's supertall towers "damage the city fabric" says Elizabeth Diller

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 2:05 AM
Ex Houstonian

I want to damage her face; jk. But seriously, she can sod right off with that bs.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 3:10 AM

I would implore our fellow forumers to skip that article. It gave me a migraine.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 3:43 AM
DENNAB

I think this Elizabeth Diller character should probably just move somewhere else.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 6:13 AM
New Yorker for life

Not an actual proposal (yet), so I didn't create a thread, but another potential supertall for Queens....

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...99416021&row=5

Quote:
Structure Type: Feasibility Study
Structure Name: Site 1 - 41-02 22nd Street

Site Elevation: 14

Structure Height: 1000

Total Height (AMSL): 1014

A few more "studies"...

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...9416026&row=10

Quote:
Structure Name: Site 6 - 43-01 Queens Street

Site Elevation: 16

Structure Height: 1340

Total Height (AMSL): 1356

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...99416025&row=9

Quote:
Structure Name: Site 5 - 23-17 44th Drive

Site Elevation: 16

Structure Height: 1100

Total Height (AMSL): 1116

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...9416027&row=11

Quote:
Structure Name: Site 7 - 45-55 Pearson

Site Elevation: 14

Structure Height: 1029

Total Height (AMSL): 1043

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Aug 17, 2016 at 6:28 AM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 1:01 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Scroll ======>

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 2:50 AM
Posh

Now they just need a few supertalls in JC.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 9:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Scroll ======>

What's up with the two suns?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 12:24 PM
YIMBY co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Not an actual proposal (yet), so I didn't create a thread, but another potential supertall for Queens....
How many do this add up to now? 5 potential supertalls in Queens, all in LIC?
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 11:54 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Same pic but with labels. Rendering courtesy of Thomas Koloski

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 12:36 AM

^ Just to the left out of view in that shot there will be about a half dozen 550-900ft towers in Journal Sqaure. The harbor views will be will be amazing in a few years. To think that its a poor/far off view of the biggest group in Midtown and the fact that you can't even see LIC at all makes it even more amazing.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 1:23 AM
Mr. Technology

More density in Jersey and Brooklyn to get this party going!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 10:21 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
How many do this add up to now? 5 potential supertalls in Queens, all in LIC?
About that. However, my instincts were correct in that these aren't actual proposals (yet) and also in that only an entity such as the City itself could be behind so many studys.

Quote:
This Feasibility Study, otherwise known as a limited aeronautical review, is being conducted based upon a submission by the New York Department of City Planning as it relates to the possible future expansion of Long Island City due to rezoning.

The New York City Planning Department is neither an actual sponsor nor proponent at this time. This Feasibility Study is not a formal determination, and is based on very broad, estimated, or general information supplied by the Planning Department as it relates to potential structures whereby the city may work towards identify maximum allowable heights in certain areas for future planning purposes.

Please keep in mind that there is always a possibility that a formal aeronautical study submitted by a proponent may prove to be different from the results indicated in this study, as the results of this study are not considered an official FAA determination.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 4:17 PM
New Yorker for life

Regarding 15 Penn:

http://rew-online.com/2016/09/16/vor...to-apartments/

Vornado: Hotel Penn office conversion unlikely, tower may be turned into apartments

BY CHRISTIAN BRAZIL BAUTISTA
SEPTEMBER 16, 2016

Quote:
Vornado CEO Steven Roth has ruled out converting Hotel Pennsylvania into a supertall office tower, instead floating the possibility that the hotel may be turned into an apartment building.

In a conference call during the 2016 Bank of America Merrill Lynch Global Real Estate Brokers Conference, Roth expressed skepticism over a possible office conversion, saying that the site cannot compete with other Manhattan office complexes such as Hudson Yards and the World Trade Center.

“The problem is we cannot deliver the site economically in competition with what Hudson Yards is doing and the World Trade Center is doing. And we’re not off by a little, we’re off by a lot for lots of different reasons,” he said.

“So I wouldn’t predict that a large office tower is in our future for Hotel Penn. I mean I can’t tell you how much we hate having to build a building where we have to get $150 rents or something like that, which are not in the market. It’s just not something that we do.”

While Roth has narrowed down the possibilities, it is still uncertain whether the property will be turned into apartments or will continue operating as a hotel. “The options for Hotel Penn are, leave it where it is, knock it down. If we knock it down, it’s going to be apartments and retail. If we leave it the way it is, it’s going to be a hotel,” Roth said.

Hotel Pennsylvania, which sits near Madison Square Garden and the Empire State Building, has been awaiting renovations since 2013. Vornado originally planned to raze the building to give way to a 1,216-foot tower called 15 Penn Plaza. However, plans were shelved when Merrill Lynch decided not to take space in the building in 2007.

I call this a bunch of BS that doesn't make sense for several reasons. Here are a few:

1. Penn Station. The city's plan for revitalizing the Penn Station area (which is still in process) has called for creating an office district around the country's busiest transit hub. As well it should. 15 Penn Plaza, which went through the approvals process, was to be the "1 Vanderbilt" of the area - with the approved development rights transfer depending on the numerous transit improvements to and around Penn Station, including a reopening and widening of the passageway between the Herald Square lines, the PATH, and Penn Station.

2. Midtown East/Hudson Yards. The claim that they are off and behind everybody on the west side and downtown at the WTC is also flawed. The WTC has taken over a decade to rebuild because the Downtown market has always been slower to absorb new office space, particularly the large amounts that will be absorbed with the new WTC. That is because not everyone wants to or is looking to move Downtown.

There are few towers of this size on the west side waiting for tenants to be built - 50 Hudson Yards and the Spiral. You can add 2 Manhattan West to that equation. Related has one more large scale office tower planned for the western half of the yards, but that's something that will happen after the current railyard development is complete.

As far as Midtown East goes, look at the speed of work that went on getting the site of One Vanderbilt ready for construction. They moved with a purpose because they wanted to get it done. However, with the rezoning of the area still in the approvals process, there is no way developers are saying they aren't going to plan any more office towers there because they are behind progress of the Hudson Yards and the WTC.

3. Apartment tower. Even if - and its a big if - the City approved plans for the conversion of that space to residential, it would be 3 msf of apartments/condos. Compare that to the size of the Central Park Tower, which is less than 2 msf. I could only see that done with maybe a 2 msf tower and 1 msf of condos on top, or something to that effect.

I don't think the city will be happy at all with anything less than getting new office space built on the site. Other than that, Vornado will just have to live with the hotel, but there's still the matter of those valuable development rights. Vornado holds numerous properties in the area, but I doubt the city would allow the transfer of those rights from the Manhattan Mall to another site.

I remember when Brookfield said they wouldn't be building Manhattan West because of the rents that would be required to do it. But look what's rising now.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 4:24 PM

I could see an apartment tower rising on this site.

On other hand, office makes sense too, but maybe Hudson Yards is just too much competition for right now? We'll just have to see.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 4:26 PM

^^^
Honestly, I feel like the reclassififcation of this tower from proposed to cancelled is jumping the gun, just like last time. After all, they have delayed the tower before and this is most probably just a similiar case. No matter what gets built at the site, I know that it's going to be a supertall. Nothing else makes economic sense, be it residential or office. The real question is if the construction initiates significantly before or around 2023, when the Penn station is going to be re-engineered.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture