HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
With climate change comes higher sea levels, so the salt wedge would gradually extend further and further up the Fraser, which means that this irrigation intake becomes less useful for irrigation water, so farms would have to get fresh water from some other source.
Not something we'll have to worry about for at least another 100 years.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 9:56 PM
YouTube Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 17, 2020 at 6:43 PM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecemartin View Post
You seem to consistently make predictions that things will take longer (status quo). With the West Antartic Sheet in its current state most models will need to be changed significantly iirc.

In general this isn't a good policy, it's the difference between being proactive and reactive, you don't want to just start doing something once it becomes a serious problem, you want to have plans at the very least so you can move more quickly.
From the OP linked article:
Quote:
Reduced flows on the Fraser combined with rising ocean levels will allow salt to expand its reach upriver to Pattullo Bridge by 2050, he added.
So worst case, to Langley/Lower Pitt?

There was a proposal some time ago that Fraser Valley Farmers wanted access to Stave Lake for Irrigation water...

Also:
Quote:
Quote:
Ted van der Gulik, a former senior engineer in the Ministry of Agriculture who is president of Partnership for Water Sustainability in B.C., notes that the longer growing season and hotter weather will increase the need for irrigation.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
You seem to consistently make predictions that things will take longer (status quo).
No, my predictions are that climate charge alarmists are full of bullshit and the science isn't settle on how much human activity contributes to climate change. Is it 100%, 70%, 50%, 5%? And how much would even the most aggressive actions mitigate climate change? Again, by 100%, 70%, 50%, 5%?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Well, there's another factor at play as well. When the Massey Tunnel is removed, that opens up the Fraser to being dredged, and there was a study done that showed that if the Fraser is dredged the salt wedge would move upstream further. I think the "as far as the Pattullo Bridge" statement that was quoted above does not take this into account, so it could move even further upstream. And the Massey Tunnel will be removed a lot sooner than 100 years.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 2:09 PM

Quote:
No, my predictions are that climate charge alarmists are full of bullshit and the science isn't settle on how much human activity contributes to climate change. Is it 100%, 70%, 50%, 5%? And how much would even the most aggressive actions mitigate climate change? Again, by 100%, 70%, 50%, 5%?
http://www.drroyspencer.com/global-w...al-or-manmade/
Quote:
You would think that we’d know the Earth’s ‘climate sensitivity’ by now, but it has been surprisingly difficult to determine. How atmospheric processes like clouds and precipitation systems respond to warming is critical, as they are either amplifying the warming, or reducing it. This website currently concentrates on the response of clouds to warming, an issue which I am now convinced the scientific community has totally misinterpreted when they have measured natural, year-to-year fluctuations in the climate system. As a result of that confusion, they have the mistaken belief that climate sensitivity is high, when in fact the satellite evidence suggests climate sensitivity is low.
We don't know. Short term climate is heavily influenced by short term weather and climatic patterns. We know the general direction is up, and why it is (for the most part).

We can't predict exact dates, or temperatures- because doing so requires a level of sensitivity and accuracy current instruments can't do.

It's like how people predicted the '08 economic crisis, but no one knew exact when it was going to happen, and where. Turns out it blew up when Lehman Bros and Northern Rock collapsed in September. But no one could predict that exact day. It could have been any other major Wall St or British bank.

Look at it this way. Say you got fat. Back in the day, you didn't realize it because your weight fluctuated over the years, but the general direction is up. And so one day, you wake up, and you're fat. You get the idea?

Looking at Climate Change in the scale of a few decades fuels climate skepticism for this reason. Short Term patterns are difficult to extrapolate to long terms, and Long Term patterns are difficult to interpolate to short terms.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 3:20 PM

I'm not asking to predict an exact day, I know that's impossible which is why I never take the "in 25 years x will happen" alarmist BS spun by the climate change lobby.

All I'm asking is if human activity is the cause of climate change, how much of it does it cause? 100%, 70%, 50%, 5%?

What would the weather be like if humans didn't exist? We know that climate changes in cycles, but how much would it have changed without humans?

If we actually implement the most aggressive actions to mitigate climate change, how much will it achieve? Will it reduce effects by 100%, 70%, 50%, 5%?

No climate change proponent can answer any of those questions.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 4:32 PM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 4:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I'm not asking to predict an exact day, I know that's impossible which is why I never take the "in 25 years x will happen" alarmist BS spun by the climate change lobby.

All I'm asking is if human activity is the cause of climate change, how much of it does it cause? 100%, 70%, 50%, 5%?

What would the weather be like if humans didn't exist? We know that climate changes in cycles, but how much would it have changed without humans?

If we actually implement the most aggressive actions to mitigate climate change, how much will it achieve? Will it reduce effects by 100%, 70%, 50%, 5%?

I'm curious...is the primary motivation of the anti-climate change advocates one that is based on short-term economic losses/liabilities?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 4:39 PM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:

Probably all of it. Almost everything I've read suggested that without anthropogenic CO2 we'd probably be nearing a new ice age.

The thing about natural sources of greenhouse gases is that they're generally prone to stabilise and be sequester at roughly the same rate as they're released. CO2 released by geology also tends to be balanced out by the sequestered CO2 for instance.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 4:53 PM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 4:55 PM
YouTube Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliplanner1 View Post
I'm curious...is the primary motivation of the anti-climate change advocates one that is based on short-term economic losses/liabilities?
[Deleted]

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 5:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Lots of countries and corporations who are introducing significant policies to fight climate change are incredibly financially successful, just look at Apple, Walmart, STATOIL and Germany. Obviously climate change mitigation policy and financial success are no longer mutually exclusive.

I think it's often just a line of thought where people want to believe that we as humans can't impact the planet and that we are not so powerful. I think alot of major projects humanity has developed would disagree.
Yes, in recent years the critical mass of "green" technologies has made the climate change (business) paradigm profitable. But many holding on to the old carbon based technologies (e.g. coal and oil companies/conventional hydrocarbon combustion cars etc.) still may see climate change as a threat (to their survival).

Last edited by Caliplanner1; Mar 2, 2017 at 5:27 PM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 5:50 PM

My favorite view on this debate:

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
Probably all of it. Almost everything I've read suggested that without anthropogenic CO2 we'd probably be nearing a new ice age.
I find that very hard to believe. So in the 150 years of intense human industrial activity we've managed to stop an ice age from beginning?

Other scientists say that the climate would be more like it was around 1700, not having changed much since then.

Quote:
I don't deny that the climate is changing. I just don't buy into the alarmist and exaggerated claims coming from the climate change lobby. And I still haven't gotten a straight answer with scientific backing on how much of climate change is man-made. Nor have I gotten a straight answer with any scientific backing on how much any of what the climate change lobby wants to impose on us through taxation and more government control will actually achieve.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
My favorite view on this debate:

That's such a silly and dumb view of the debate.

No one on either side is opposed to clean water and air, or sustainability, or preserving the environment.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Lots of countries and corporations who are introducing significant policies to fight climate change are incredibly financially successful, just look at Apple, Walmart, STATOIL and Germany.
Funny that you add Germany to that list. Germany's green energy drive has been a huge failure, especially for German consumers. Germany now imports huge amount of electricity most days, and on windy sunny days reeks havoc on neighboring electrical grids such as Poland and Czechia. Their nuclear phaseout plans also mean they're burning more coal now.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 10:12 PM
YouTube Creator

Quote:
I find that very hard to believe. So in the 150 years of intense human industrial activity we've managed to stop an ice age from beginning?

Other scientists say that the climate would be more like it was around 1700, not having changed much since then.

I don't deny that the climate is changing. I just don't buy into the alarmist and exaggerated claims coming from the climate change lobby. And I still haven't gotten a straight answer with scientific backing on how much of climate change is man-made. Nor have I gotten a straight answer with any scientific backing on how much any of what the climate change lobby wants to impose on us through taxation and more government control will actually achieve.
[Deleted]

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 11:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
...so in 150 years has mankind been able to destroy the world with the fruits of modern industrialization in the form (for example) of nuclear weapons technology etc.??

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 11:30 PM

Quote:
...so in 150 years has mankind been able to destroy the world with the fruits of modern industrialization in the form (for example) of nuclear weapons technology etc.??
No, we haven't.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure