HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
ok.. never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever compare the MLS to the WNBA again... Big leagues sports franchise? the WNBA? lol..
there doesn't seem to be a "tounge-in-cheek" smile, so this one will have to do or maybe this one

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 10:11 PM

As heard on KSL about 30 seconds ago.

House passed funding for the soccer stadium.

It is off to the gov now.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 10:16 PM

and the gov will obviously sign it.. so, when do we hear checketts decision?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 10:56 PM

I am hoping that the Gov signs first followed by Checketts in one big ceremony tonight. The sooner this is put to bed, the sooner that construction can actually start.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 10:57 PM

House approves soccer stadium

By Amelia Nielson-Stowell and Lisa Riley Roche
Deseret Morning News
Real will stay in Utah.
At least that's what lawmakers and Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. expect after Thursday's vote.
The House passed HB38 on a 48-24-3 vote and now merely the governor's signature is needed to use $35 million in hotel tax dollars for the Real Salt Lake soccer stadium. The governor, who pushed hard for the deal and warned lawmakers that without action by Friday the team would leave Utah, is expected to sign the bill quickly.
Lawmakers debated for 45 minutes before the vote and in the end decided a Major League Soccer team would boost the image of the state, benefit the younger generation who grow up playing soccer and pay high dividends for the state and local government.
That was the same pitch they received from the governor just before the vote, when Huntsman appeared before the House Democratic and Republican caucuses to encourage them to voice their support for the bill.
However, a number of the minority Democrats voted against the deal, which had long been pushed by House Speaker Greg Curtis, R-Sandy.
Through the bill, the state will get a total of $35 million by taking 15 percent of Salt Lake County's hotel-tax revenue for the next 20 years. The money will be used to build an already planned parking garage in Sandy as well as buy adjacent land where the stadium will be built.
"I've come to the conclusion myself that this is worthy of our support, but it comes with a lot of trepidation because our public has not been with us," House Minority Leader Ralph Becker, D-Salt Lake said. He added of the e-mails he's received from constituents 15:1 have been against the funding deal.
Other lawmakers still weren't convinced and voted against the deal.
Rep. Neil Hansen, D-Ogden, said using hotel room taxes paid by visitors sends the wrong message about the state's tourism industry.
"What are we telling those travellers? Thank you for visiting us, thank you for letting us gouge you and now we're going to build a soccer stadium with your money," he said. "If this is such a great idea, why aren't the banks involved in this? Why do they have to come to the taxpayers to help this out?"
Others still think the stadium will bring unprecedented benefits to the state — and Sandy.
"When we build a $110 million dollar stadium on that facility, the school district will receive 54 percent of the levy property tax," said Rep. Todd Kiser, R-Sandy, who said figures from Sandy City Council indicate that the stadium will garner $20 million dollars in taxes for the local school district over the next 25 years.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 11:00 PM

from the Tribune.. sounds like it's a done deal with Checketts.. TEAM IS STAYING!!!! WOOOHOOO!!!

RSL is staying; stadium deal passes
By Derek P. Jensen
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 02/08/2007 03:44:18 PM MST

RSL Stadium Funding
State lawmakers gave final approval Thursday to a $35 million funding package for a Real Salt Lake stadium in Sandy. Did they do the right thing?
Yes, a suburban venue will suit the "beautiful game" nicely.
No, the fairpark would have been better - it's cheaper and would bail out that place
No, just tell Dave Checketts to sing "Meet Me in St. Louis" on his way out the door.
Who cares, I follow "real" football, not Real futbol.

Posted: 3:04 PM- It's done. Sandy is getting a soccer stadium. And Utah is keeping its team.
The Utah House gave final approval this afternoon to a funding package - pitched by Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. - for a $110 million Sandy soccer stadium.
The Senate passed the measure earlier this week.
State and team sources say RSL will accept the deal and plan to make that announcment later this afternoon.
That means RSL owner Dave Checketts is turning down an offer to sell the team to a group of investors, who wanted to move the franchise to St. Louis.
The Utah deal provides $35 million in hotel taxes for land and infrastructure for a stadium near 9400 South State. Sandy already has committed to kick in another $15 million toward an expanded project, which would include a hotel and broadcast center.
Huntsman said Thursday that the team - if it accepts the offer - has agreed to provide $7.5 million toward a youth sports complex in northwest Salt Lake City. RSL also would team up with Real Madrid in establishing an elite soccer academy, probably in the capital.
The governor said the team also would provide up to 500 free tickets every game for at-risk youths.
Under the plan, the state would own the land where the stadium would sit.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 11:03 PM

RSL is staying; stadium deal passes

By Derek P. Jensen
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 02/08/2007 03:44:18 PM MST

Last edited by delts145; Feb 8, 2007 at 11:36 PM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 11:05 PM

Looking at the Tribune Healine I guess Checketts decision is just a formality.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 11:18 PM
Bring out the cranes...

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 11:46 PM

News conference happening right now.

The saga is finally over...

Now let the construction begin in earnest.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 2:44 AM
Exit 298

I dont think i am done with being cynical about RSL yet ... I mean, I am glad they are staying, how much do you wanna bet they will find some sort of ancient native american burial ground once they start heavy construction on the stadium ..... delaying it until 2022.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
I dont think i am done with being cynical about RSL yet ... I mean, I am glad they are staying, how much do you wanna bet they will find some sort of ancient native american burial ground once they start heavy construction on the stadium ..... delaying it until 2022.
That would be dope! Not the 2022 part, but the ancient Native American burial ground would add some cool history to Salt Lake County. ... Then we would prolly get RSL out at the Fairgrounds whcih could potentially extend the downtown limits there.

yeesh that glass is half full. too bad it's a dream.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 3:57 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post

That's funny, but kind of already true. That site in Sandy already is already contaminated. Who knows now long it will take to clear that up?

Just one thing after another.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 4:25 AM
Real women know buildings

I'm glad they seem to have made a decision. And that it was a yes! Although, I myself and not a soccer fan, I'm looking forward to learning more about the sport! A sport has to start somewhere and I think in 10 or so years soccer is really going to take off and Utah is going to be really happy they were in on it from the begining. It's going to take a while for people to open up to it, but as they are around it more they'll have a higher interest. I wasn't into Basketball until I moved here and with the Jazz being here I've developed quite a thing for Boozer and Okur

Oh, and I'm super glad we didn't have a big ground breaking ceremony at a site where nothing ever gets built! Ole... Ole, Ole, Ole... REAL Salt Lake!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 4:46 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiLDing GuRL View Post
I wasn't into Basketball until I moved here and with the Jazz being here I've developed quite a thing for Boozer and Okur

Yea we can't miss your boy Okur play and making all those three pointers.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 7:46 AM

Stadium plan is Real as it gets

State sets aside $35M for Sandy soccer facility

By Amelia Nielson-Stowell and Lisa Riley Roche
Deseret Morning News

Real is here to stay — for real this time.

Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret Morning News
Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr., Rep David Clark, Mayor Rocky Anderson, Sen. Sheldon Killpack and Mayor Tom Dolan hold up Real Salt Lake soccer jerseys during a press conference at the Capitol Thursday.

Now that lawmakers agreed Thursday to set aside $35 million to keep Real Salt Lake from leaving Utah for St. Louis, work will begin in earnest to finish an agreement between the state, Sandy City and the team.
Representatives of those three entities are already hammering out the interlocal agreement that will spell out everything the team is getting to stay in Utah — and everything the team has to do in return. The agreement could be done within a few weeks.
An hour-and-a-half after the bill passed the House, 48-24, Thursday, Real Salt Lake team officials and players gathered on the Capitol plaza with state lawmakers, Sandy and Salt Lake City leaders and Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr., who says he will sign the measure as soon as it reaches his desk. Donning personalized soccer jerseys and Real scarves, the group cheered.
"Soccer is here to stay," Huntsman said. "With a very solid foundation to move forward, Major League Soccer can now truly become the great unifier, bringing together our diverse cultures across multiple generations."
The governor championed the deal after Salt Lake County Mayor Peter Corroon turned it down last week as too risky, and put plenty of pressure on lawmakers to pass the needed legislation. Huntsman even appeared before both the Democratic and Republican House caucuses just before Thursday's vote.
Team owner Dave Checketts has been entertaining offers from other cities to buy the team and build a soccer-specific stadium. St. Louis pitched the most lucrative deal, but Checketts wanted the stadium at his former stomping grounds.
"What an incredible journey this has been. I've always loved my hometown, and it has never let me down. But the last couple weeks have been very tough," he said, calling the process "draining."
"A week ago Monday, I truly thought soccer was dead and the project was dead," he added. "It was clear at that time that it was time to move on. But what has transpired since couldn't have been scripted."
Salt Lake County is no longer part of the negotiations. Corroon, a Real season ticket holder, was not invited to the celebration. He released a statement that said he plans to support the partnership between the team, state and Sandy.
"I made a decision based on a great deal of information and months of analysis, meetings and hearing; the Legislature has now made their decision as well," it read.
The deal's details
The new agreement with the state may end up looking very similar to the agreement the county originally reached with the team.
But instead of the county setting aside hotel-room taxes for the project, those tax revenues, under the legislation passed by the House Thursday, will go to the Governor's Office of Economic Development.
HB38 allows the state to collect $35 million of Salt Lake County's hotel-tax revenue for the next 20 years to be used for the stadium site. That money will be used to build a $20 million parking garage that's been in the works since 2005 in Sandy and $15 million worth of adjacent land where the stadium will be built.
"It will be kind of a pass through," Jason Perry, the economic development office's executive director, said. "As part of that we'll have some oversight." He said even before the bill was passed, there have been meetings on the agreement.
"Over the last several days, we started talking about some of the details of the plan," Perry said, including a guarantee that the team will stay. The county's agreement mandated Real remain for 30 years or pay a $10 million fine.
"All those promises, that included, are the details we are being charged right now to make sure are part of the agreement and that the state's interests are covered through every step of the negotiations," he said.

A rendering shows planned $110 million Real stadium in Sandy.

A question-and-answer sheet on team letterhead was circulated among lawmakers before Thursday's vote, dealing with some of the other promises already made that will go into the new agreement.
The team still pledges to kick in $7.5 million toward a youth sports complex in northwest Salt Lake City, establish an elite soccer academy, give away 500 tickets per home game to charity and provide signs and other promotional materials to state and local governments.
It's Sandy's ball now
Sandy City plans to discuss terms of the interlocal agreement and a development agreement during a Tuesday council meeting. And the Sandy Redevelopment Agency board will begin the process of creating a community development area around the stadium, to redirect $10 million in property taxes for phase one of the $110 million stadium. That CDA dollar amount could bump up to $15 million if Real expands to phase two of the stadium project that includes a hotel and broadcast studio.
"We're pleased to finally have a chance to get in the game. We've been sitting on the sidelines," said Sandy Councilman Steve Fairbanks.
Sandy Mayor Tom Dolan, who has been working on a stadium deal with Real for almost two years, said he was relieved and exhausted, but also said Sandy is far from being finished.
"It really begins now for us. We have a lot of details to put together and a lot of guarantees and assurances to put together," he said.
Real must also get construction plans approved through the council and planning and zoning department before building starts. And the team may have to re-evaluate their stadium completion date of July 2008, said team CEO Dean Howes. The team also needs to find a permanent practice facility.

Deseret Morning News graphic

Even St. Louis, the team that aimed to buy Real and give it a permanent home near the Illinois metropolis, is outlining its next move.
Jeff Cooper, managing partner of Simmons Cooper, who has been trying to buy the team and put it in St. Louis, said Thursday that although he's disappointed Real won't call St. Louis home, he's working on getting a franchise team for the city.
"We were never here to steal a team or run off with anyone's soccer team, but when Sports Capital Partners (Checketts' company) and Real Salt Lake was left with no other option but to move, we thought St. Louis was the best option," he said. "But this is the best outcome for Real Salt Lake and for soccer."
St. Louis jumped in the race to win a Major League Soccer team shortly after Corroon denied stadium funding. Salt Lake City Mayor Rocky Anderson also resurrected his back-up plan to put the stadium at the Utah State Fairpark, which was shot down as a stadium site in 2005.
Despite the team not choosing to build the stadium in Utah's capital city, Anderson said an MLS team in the state will make Utah a "world-class community"
"Well, whatever anyone thinks of the process, the end result is a Major League Soccer team in this community, which is absolutely fantastic," he said.
Decision not unanimous
Over a dozen Real team players came in suits to the team's Thursday afternoon press conference and were thrilled over the decision to stay put in Utah.
"My family and I wanted to stay here in Salt Lake City. We want to make our future here in Utah," said team captain Jason Kreis, whose wife and two boys live in Salt Lake City with him. "It's been a big talking point among the players. Now we can focus on our pre-season."

Deseret Morning News graphic

Utah first lady Mary Kaye Huntsman has recruited several members of the soccer team to participate in her "Power in You" program aimed at helping build self-esteem in Utah youth. And several Real players have spent time at the Governor's Mansion as friends of the Huntsmans' oldest daughters.
Her influence on the governor's decision to take over the effort to seal a deal with Real was mentioned by Checketts, who said the team would not be here without her.
Gov. Huntsman said soccer is "the sport of 21st-century America and a new generation. What the world knows as the beautiful game will now know it has a permanent home in the beautiful state of Utah."
House Speaker Greg Curtis, R-Sandy, an early supporter of sending soccer to Sandy, credited Huntsman with getting the deal done. "It was dead until the governor said he was going to weigh in," Curtis said.
The speaker, who said he first heard the proposal some 21 months ago, praised lawmakers on both sides of the aisle for deciding "it was the right thing. Significant decisions like this always involve a lot of controversy."
Some lawmakers were less enthusiastic about the state getting involved in the deal. "You don't want to chase things that are on the edge," Senate Majority Whip Dan Eastman, R-Bountiful, said. "It's not something I would have gone out on a limb for."
Still, Eastman said, the state ended up with a better deal from Real. And there's little doubt there was also some dealing between the governor and lawmakers, and the House and the Senate, over support for the bill.
"There were absolutely no deals," Eastman said with a smile. "But we might have mentioned some things we'd like the House to pay a little more attention to, to study a little harder."
During the bill's debate in the House Thursday (it passed the Senate Tuesday), others voiced similar concerns.
"I've come to the conclusion myself that this is worthy of our support, but it comes with a lot of trepidation because our public has not been with us," House Minority Leader Ralph Becker, D-Salt Lake, said. He added of the e-mails he's received from constituents have been 15 to one against the funding deal.
Rep. Neil Hansen, D-Ogden, said using hotel room taxes paid by visitors sends the wrong message about the state's tourism industry.
"What are we telling those travelers? Thank you for visiting us, thank you for letting us gouge you and now we're going to build a soccer stadium with your money," he said. "If this is such a great idea, why aren't the banks involved in this? Why do they have to come to the taxpayers to help this out?"
Others still think the stadium will bring unprecedented benefits to the state — and Sandy.
"When we build a $110 million dollar stadium on that facility, the school district will receive 54 percent of the levy property tax," said Rep. Todd Kiser, R-Sandy, who said figures from Sandy City Council indicate that the stadium will garner $20 million in taxes for the local school district over the next 25 years just with the first phase of stadium construction.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 1:00 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Ole... Ole, Ole, Ole... REAL Salt Lake!

Last week when we got word that checketts could be selling the team I thought that was it for RSL. I was about to give up hope on RSL and That is was game over for Salt Lake. But I'm so happy to see that the Gov. and other leaders stepping up and saving RSL.

Way a go RSL!!!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 1:39 PM

Apparantly, according to the Des.News, "The First Lady had a lot to do with encouraging the Gov.to spearhead the effort." How cool is that? Way to go Mary Kaye Huntsman!!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 2:08 PM

Salt Lake Tribune

Real Salt Lake is here to stay

Sandy stadium

Governor lauds final deal, gets praise from the team owner for staunch support
By Derek P. Jensen
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 02/09/2007 12:12:17 AM MST

Real Soccer
Feb 9:
Stadium deal to delay Kreis' retirementSoccer Stadium: QuotesStadium: Latest deal elicits cheers, jeersWill the Sandy stadium still debut July 4, 2008?Feb 8:
Soccer Stadium: What isn't known about the planCounty Council was left with little choiceFeb 6:
RSL: Beckham in Salt Lake in SeptemberMoments after a surreal stadium celebration Thursday outside Utah's Capitol - as political adversaries donned Real Salt Lake scarves to shake hands with soccer players in a receiving line - the congratulations echoed.
Among them: plaudits from a construction company executive who told a gracious and grateful Dave Checketts, the RSL owner, "now we know what we can do with the steel."
It marked a concrete finality to a two-year stadium odyssey that roiled fan emotions, whipsawed the public and rocked Utah's political establishment.
Despite it all, plans to build a $110 million Sandy stadium, which several times seemed doomed, had survived.
"This has come at a great, great cost, but what a blessed event this is," Checketts announced. "We can say, once and for all, that Real Salt Lake is a permanent part of this community."
Checketts praised a host of state leaders, especially Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr., whose "strength and poise" made all the difference for the franchise's fate.
"Real Salt Lake is here to stay," Huntsman told the energetic crowd.
The decision means St. Louis remains on the march for a Major League Soccer team. Checketts thanked investors there for showing vision and making a "credible" purchase offer. He also insisted the potential Midwest move was real, not posturing to pressure Utah officials. By midday Thursday, during a springlike afternoon, the Utah House gave birth to public funding that was killed last week by Salt Lake County Mayor Peter Corroon, who declared using tax money for the stadium project an "unsafe investment." The vote, which had critical bipartisan support, was 48-24-3.
The deal provides $35 million in hotel taxes for land, parking and infrastructure for the 20,000-seat venue, expected to open in summer 2008 near 9400 S. State St. Sandy already has committed another $15 million toward an expanded project, which would include a hotel and broadcast center.
Under the plan, the state will own the stadium land, which many lawmakers pointed to as insurance for the public investment. But the move also has legislative critics, including several who panned it as "corporate welfare."
"This is worthy of our support, but it comes with a lot of trepidation because our public has not been with us," said Minority Leader Ralph Becker, D-Salt Lake City.
Thursday's vote followed 45 minutes of debate on the House floor, where most lawmakers lauded the benefits of the stadium-funding bill. Still, Democrats complained they were duped by HB38, which started as a parking bill before it was amended.
Just before the vote, Huntsman visited the Republican and Democratic caucuses to lobby legislators to approve the measure. "We have an opportunity here to really capture the imagination of the nation and really the whole world with what Real will bring," he said.
But when the time came to vote, the bill's original sponsor, Rep. Merlynn Newbold, R-South Jordan, abstained, saying afterward she was inclined to vote no because she was not that excited about soccer.
Support for the RSL deal solidified once Huntsman assured lawmakers that key terms of a previous accord with the county would remain intact. For instance: The team will provide $7.5 million in funding for a youth sports complex in northwest Salt Lake City, along with an elite sports academy.
Senate President John Valentine said state leaders want, in writing, assurances that the team will remain in Utah for at least 10 years, which team officials pledged to provide.
"To me, [the deal] isn't a great risk," said Huntsman, who noted it has been "vetted and scrutinized unlike any other public-private partnership anywhere in the country."
But it was that review that led Corroon to reject the stadium deal, calling it too risky. The county mayor said he understood the funding was a priority for the state and agreed it ultimately will benefit Utahns. He also pledged his support, adding he will attend games.
"I hope that now that the state's done what it's done, Real will stay in Utah and live up to their commitments," Corroon said.
Sandy Mayor Tom Dolan said that in years to come, "we'll look back and see that it was visionary. . . . This will give more airtime to the state than any other thing we can do."
Dolan conceded there could be downsides: "The team will leave, the team will fail," he said. But "contracts will include penalties."
Rocky Anderson's alternative proposal for a stadium at the state fairpark lost in Thursday's action, but Salt Lake City's mayor was nevertheless "thrilled to keep MLS in the county."
That doesn't mean Anderson approves of the process.
The mayor, draped in an RSL scarf, said unnamed individuals "told untruths" that the fairpark wasn't a viable option, which may have steered some lawmakers to cast votes for Sandy. And he spoke of "a lot of intimidation" to get the Sandy deal done.
For his part, an "exhausted" Checketts seemed relieved to be done with politics. He thanked the "amazing" RSL fans for keeping him going and harked back to author Thomas Paine to sum up the stadium struggle.
"That which we obtain too cheaply, we esteem too lightly."
---
* DEREK P. JENSEN can be contacted at djensen@sltrib.com or 801-257-8785.
---
* HEATHER MAY, ROSEMARY WINTERS and MATT CANHAM contributed to this story.

Stadium events

Team wins its debut game in April 2005 before 25,000-plus fans.

RSL owner Dave Checketts picks Sandy in October 2005 as stadium site.

Sandy Mayor Tom Dolan declares the stadium dream "dead" after County Council rejects a plan in July. Team says its future is in "jeopardy."

With superstar David Beckham manning a shovel, RSL breaks ground on Sandy stadium in August, thanks to tentative accord with the county.

County Council endorses the nascent stadium deal three days later.
Sandy stadium plan starts to unravel last month as a key county committee recommends against it.

County Mayor Peter Corroon buries county's deal Jan. 29, saying it's too "risky." Checketts threatens to sell team. St. Louis group later makes an offer.

Led by Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr., the Legislature gives final approval Thursday to a funding package for a Sandy stadium. Checketts says, "once and for all," the team is a "permanent" Utah fixture.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 2:51 PM
Exit 298

I'm going to party today, but I won't really celebrate until I see the steel frame of a stadium. Checketts COULD still pull a fast one on us, even with this good news. We've gotta get this thing off the ground quickly, before he does something crazy.

As for the fairpark, it's a smart idea. Plenty of freeway access and it helps bring new life into a fairpark that has been two inches from demolition in the past.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West