HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: What is your sexual orientation? (poll results anonymous)
Heterosexual 97 63.82%
Homosexual 44 28.95%
Bisexual 7 4.61%
Asexual 4 2.63%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 2:17 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

What is your sexual orientation (SSP Canada section only!)

Okay, I just realized that one of the most popular threads in the Canada section is the gay life thread, so it got me wondering (and in honour of the human rights ruling stateside yesterday) what the sexual orientation profile of the Canada Skyscraper/Urban development community is?

I'll start it off...I'm straight! (I clicked on the first poll option at the top of the thread)

Last edited by mistercorporate; Jun 27, 2015 at 2:41 PM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Okay, I just realized that one of the most popular threads in the Canada section is the gay life thread, so it got me wondering (and in honour of the human rights ruling stateside yesterday) what proportion of the Canada Skyscraper/Urban development community have a different sexual orientation?

I'll start it off...I'm straight!
You are off to a bad start .....

And your poll options are incomplete.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 2:24 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
You are off to a bad start .....

And your poll options are incomplete.
Please elaborate, had no intention to offend anyone, what options would you recommend? Thanks! I'm trying to keep the options as simple as possible to get a broader picture.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Please elaborate, had no intention to offend anyone, what options would you recommend? Thanks! I'm trying to keep the options as simple as possible to get a broader picture.
a "different sexual orientation" rather begs the question "different from whom?". One might conclude that you have opened a heteronormative thread.

Transgender is not a sexual orientation.

The other obvious options for orientation would be bisexual and asexual.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 2:37 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
a "different sexual orientation" rather begs the question "different from whom?". One might conclude that you have opened a heteronormative thread.

Transgender is not a sexual orientation.

The other obvious options for orientation would be bisexual and asexual.
Dammit, I knew I forgot something (the bisexual category), I also meant "different from each other", should have worded differently! Hmm...this poll will still be interesting, but if an admin could replace transgender with bisexual that would be appreciated!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 2:37 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Transgender isn't a sexual orientation. You can be transgender as well as straight, gay, bi, asexual, whatever. It's inward focused, about who you feel you are, not outward, about whose genitals you want to play with. Say someone is a trans woman - meaning she was born a man but is female, maybe even had sexual reassignment surgery. You can't assume what she's into. She could be into men, and we'd then say she's straight. She could be into women, and we'd say she's gay. She could be into both, neither, whatever.

As for the options... it's complicated. But I think the majority of people would be comfortable choosing from between Heterosexual, Homosexual, Bisexual, and Asexual. There's a range in all of them... there are asexual people who crave physical contact, cuddling, foreplay even, but don't enjoy actually go all the way. There are straight guys who would put it in anyone's mouth and have no sexual identity crisis about it. There are gay guys who are exclusively top or bottom with no exception. And bisexuality is always pretty complicated in terms of how much it differs between people.

In any event, I'm gay.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 2:42 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Thanks, corrected my post!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 7:27 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Wow, very interesting results. It suggests that SSP is reasonably reflective of the broader population in terms of sexual orientation. Anecdotally, we probably have way more activity in terms of active posters who are gay compared to the straight members...perhaps due to gay people being more active online or more extrovert? No idea, just a theory.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 7:56 PM

I don't know, I know maybe 5 or 6 frequent posters that are gay out of, let's say, 100 active posters. Some others can be gay and I am not aware of it though (probably 4 or 5 more). But as far as I know they don't necessarily generate more activity than the straight members. I wouldn't generalize and say the gays are more present online or extrovert. Some of them can be very passionate about urban-related stuff but I think it has more to do with their personality than their sexual orientation.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
In any event, I'm gay.
I have seen your hiking photos with the odd shot of a rather fetching filly I assumed was your spouse.
Anyway, I'm completely straight, but with an asterisk. I wish not to elaborate, but I'm not a closet queen.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 10:50 PM

If anything this really small sample shows a higher proportion of LGBT members, about 30% who have taken the poll are LGBT compared to the general population which IIRC is supposed to be around 10%.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 12:54 AM

Gays are NOT 10% of the population. That is what Kinsey tried to say which was such an outrageous lie that he is no longer even considered relevant.

About 3 to 4% of the population is exclusively gay and about another 8 to 9% bisexual.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 1:53 AM

Asexual, I'm not that interested in sexual interactions.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 1:56 AM
New Brunswick booster!

Gay!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
Asexual, I'm not that interested in sexual interactions.
Mind if I ask if you're a guy or girl. It would be highly unusual for a guy to make such a declaration.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Gays are NOT 10% of the population. That is what Kinsey tried to say which was such an outrageous lie that he is no longer even considered relevant.

About 3 to 4% of the population is exclusively gay and about another 8 to 9% bisexual.
got anything to back that up?

Quote:
Two of the most famous studies of the demographics of human sexual orientation were Dr. Alfred Kinsey's Sexual Behavior in the Human Male (1948) and Sexual Behavior in the Human Female (1953). These studies used a seven-point spectrum to define sexual behavior, from 0 for completely heterosexual to 6 for completely homosexual. Kinsey concluded that a small percentage of the population were to one degree or another bisexual (falling on the scale from 1 to 6). He also reported that 37% of men in the U.S. had achieved orgasm through contact with another male after adolescence and 13% of women had achieved orgasm through contact with another woman.[8]
His results, however, have been disputed, especially in 1954 by a team consisting of John Tukey, Frederick Mosteller and William G. Cochran, who stated much of Kinsey's work was based on convenience samples rather than random samples, and thus would have been vulnerable to bias.[9]
Paul Gebhard, Kinsey's successor as director of the Kinsey Institute for Sex Research, dedicated years to reviewing the Kinsey data and culling its purported contaminants. In 1979, Gebhard (with Alan B. Johnson) concluded that none of Kinsey's original estimates were significantly affected by the perceived bias, finding that 36.4% of men had engaged in both heterosexual and homosexual activities, as opposed to Kinsey's 37%.
- Wikipedia

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Mind if I ask if you're a guy or girl. It would be highly unusual for a guy to make such a declaration.
Male.

Edit: I tend to consider myself female but I don't know if I'm transgender or not. Kind of at a confused stage in my life so I'm male.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 12:50 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
I have seen your hiking photos with the odd shot of a rather fetching filly I assumed was your spouse.
Anyway, I'm completely straight, but with an asterisk. I wish not to elaborate, but I'm not a closet queen.
I'm flattered anyone would think I could get a girl like her. Just buddies - though she and her sister have no desire to have children so we've vowed to grow old together and let our spouses tag along. Hiking with her in an hour, I'll pass along the compliment.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 2:05 PM

Maybe the Canadian section is different. But I find skyscraperpage as a whole has a high gay population. In some cases, over 50% of people I have met have turned out to be gay, from this forum. And that was just random. Not like it was set up that way.

Again, maybe the Canadian one tends more straight .

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 2:19 PM
I am the law!

Doesn't surprise me these urban affair forums have a higher LGBT population. I would also say threads over sexual orientation peak LGBT interests more than Heterosexuals would. Wonder how skewed the poll is right now. Could see the percentages change dramatically as it sits atop the forum after a few weeks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada