HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jul 2, 2009, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2phx View Post
homogenized? even after backstreet closed? ha....JK.

seriously, i kindof see where you could describe atlanta as homogenized, particularly in regard to the metro suburbs and exurban sprawl, but not really the city proper.

lifeless? c'mon, thats a stretch by many standards, unless of course, you're comparing atlanta to NO at mardi gras, jazz fest, halloween or the french quarter in general.

Oh Atlanta has little tiny spots or areas all over town that are great, but they are so isolated from one another and so small....
I mean I would have said Buckhead at one point (everyone I talk to when I say I am from Atlanta, I get ohhh..Buckhead I had a good time there) and even if it had its problems, it was the entertainment center of the city. Now Buckhead Village is gone and its a high end office and retail center. Boring.

The best area near the heart of Atlanta is Piedmont Park but the neighborhoods need more development at street level, and urbanization at least within some areas... (And were I to live in Atlanta again that would be the area that would appeal to me)

Old Posted Jul 2, 2009, 5:31 PM

Here's a perspective from someone who used to visit Atlanta about yearly until some time in the 90s.

What about the Underground Atlanta / Five Points / Georgia Dome / GWCC / CNN Center area? That used to be "the spot" until at least the 90s. Why has it fallen so far that basically none of you mentioned it at all? Was losing the coke museum the final nail in that coffin?

I'll also mention that it probably has the potential to be greater than anything you guys mentioned above, if the MMPT and Green Line plans ever make it out of the "dream" stage.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2009, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
Here's a perspective from someone who used to visit Atlanta about yearly until some time in the 90s.

What about the Underground Atlanta / Five Points / Georgia Dome / GWCC / CNN Center area? That used to be "the spot" until at least the 90s. Why has it fallen so far that basically none of you mentioned it at all? Was losing the coke museum the final nail in that coffin?

I'll also mention that it probably has the potential to be greater than anything you guys mentioned above, if the MMPT and Green Line plans ever make it out of the "dream" stage.
The GWCC, CNN Center "spot" is where centennial olympic park is now. It's also where the new world of coke and the GA aquarium is.

Underground itself is a blight upon the city and should be burn to the ground.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2009, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briantech View Post
It would have to burned UP to the ground.

I like Centennial Olympic Park but to me it's not the sort of thing that leaps out and immediately says, "Atlanta."

Old Posted Jul 2, 2009, 6:45 PM

not only does underground have historic ties to the city, it's really a unique area with tremendous potential. hopefully as the student population continues to rise in the area it will gradually evolve into something we can be more proud of. i liked the idea of it becoming a spot for clubs, but even that's had trouble taking off - not enough momentum has been built yet downtown, unfortunately.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2009, 8:01 PM

Underground has potential but it is a ugly 1980s mall right now with subpar chain stores.

Put security down there but don't make it like a closed space, and for god's sake tear all that modernized crap out of there. Let it be what it was before it was closed the first time....

Old brick, gas lanterns, open balconies in Kenny's Alley....lessen the rents to get some funky stores in there. UA is anything but organic and urban (altho it once was)

Old Posted Jul 2, 2009, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briantech View Post
The GWCC, CNN Center "spot" is where centennial olympic park is now. It's also where the new world of coke and the GA aquarium is.

First off, GO JACKETS!

You make it seem like the Centennial Olympic Park (COP) replaced the GWCC, CNN Center. I think you and the person who made the post to which you are referring have different opinions of what the "spot" is/was.

The area where COP is now was desolate and had many abandoned buildings and warehouses just prior to the construction of COP. The city seems to want to plasticize and disneytize the area with things such as Georgia Aquarium, the World of Coke and Nascar Museum which in itself is ok I suppose. But the city could do just as good or better by emphasizing things like Undeground and the Railroad Gulch to glorify and create a more authentic historic living museum of Atlanta's railroad origin.

I don't think Underground is a blight. I assume your 'burn to the ground' comment is hyperbole. But I do think that sentiment is a basis of how many think in the development of Atlanta - burn down, destroy and replace with a parking lot or replace with some sterile. It's hard to conceive what lies beneath Downtown Atlanta until you come across some old pictures of the city.

What is probably the most iconic thing to me about Atlanta is the trees. It's amazing to me to see how the city rises out of the forest much like the phoenix rising out of the ashes which indeed is a befitting symbol of Atlanta in so many ways. The rising phoenix should be emphasized more.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L41A View Post
What is probably the most iconic thing to me about Atlanta is the trees. It's amazing to me to see how the city rises out of the forest much like the phoenix rising out of the ashes which indeed is a befitting symbol of Atlanta in so many ways. The rising phoenix should be emphasized more.
in addition to that, the trees here are one of the only things that make walking more than a block during the summer bearable. they could be a symbol of our southern style of urbanity - urban, yet not so dense that we don't keep room for our beloved trees.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
in addition to that, the trees here are one of the only things that make walking more than a block during the summer bearable. they could be a symbol of our southern style of urbanity - urban, yet not so dense that we don't keep room for our beloved trees.
If you ever see old pics of Downtown Atlanta, you will notice that there are more trees now in Downtown than it was back then. There are more on the sidewalks, in street medians and the ones that were there back then are much bigger now. Also buildings have been torned down and parks have replaced them - namely Woodruff and COP was once places where buildings stood.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 12:57 AM
Apathetic...and Loving It

Quote:
First off, GO JACKETS!
I second that (I'm going to Tech in August for my masters degree (in city planning no less)

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 2:56 AM

Quote:
If you ever see old pics of Downtown Atlanta, you will notice that there are more trees now in Downtown than it was back then. There are more on the sidewalks, in street medians and the ones that were there back then are much bigger now. Also buildings have been torned down and parks have replaced them - namely Woodruff and COP was once places where buildings stood.
right - i guess i should've specified outside the business districts. (the buildings themselves provide shade if they're tall enough)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta