HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelJ View Post
There are plenty of Atlantans that aren't part of the "political class" living on and around Cascade Road. I'm also interested in why you think plopping a shelter such as this in the middle of a nice suburban area would be a good idea? Frankly, I think that (and many more of your ideas) sucks.
I have a great hunch as to why Fiorenza suggests such. Fiorenza seemingly breaths, eats, soaks and swims in such discord.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 1:55 AM
Reliable Source

Hey, we're all on the same team here. We all see the harm this Pine Street Shelter does to that part of downtown. The area is a disaster. Their clients are being warehoused with no effort at remediation, and thus naturally attracts the worst sorts, the dregs. The program is a disaster. My jabs at the Cascade area are meaningless. I just like to stir things a little.

The city leaders need to have a little sit-down with the lady and read her the riot act. They need to tell her they are going to hound and harass her day and night, until she moves on. Her existence needs to be more difficult. The cops and inspectors will be all over her, and not in a constructive way. The shit needs to hit the fan. Is Kasim Reed too nice a guy for the job?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedestriAnne View Post
Okay, so I'm not imagining it. I used to work near there and when I'd go for walks during lunch I always wondered why there was so much loitering and general skulking around going on, even in the middle of the day.

How is the walk to Publix at night?
Sorry it took me so long to respond.

I don't walk the most direct way to Publix. I take Peachtree Street to North Avenue and walk down there, because all though there isn't a lot of foot traffic in the area, at least there is a lot of traffic in general so I feel a bit safer. I've hardly ever walked there at night without my roommate.

Sometimes I've taken Linden during the day to get to Midtown Tavern/Publix, but again I prefer to not walk there alone.

I've been hassled a few times, but for the most part I've been left alone, but that doesn't mean it's a pleasant walk.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindFatSnake View Post
The Pine Street shelter is run like a brothel... There's more drugs and sex going on (inside and outside) to put the average street pimp out of business. That's why the shelter should be shut down because the B*tch running it is crazy as $hit. She has not one progams, nor literature, nor rules to re-make these "bastards of society" into law abiding citizens. YES, I SAID IT.

The VAST majority of the homeless at the Pine Street Shelter are derelicts and only down on their luck because of their sexual and drug-related decisions. They are like piegons: if you keep feeding them, they'll poop anywhere and as often as they choose, and they're not a damn thing anybody can do about it. THE REASON BEHIND THIS PARADOX is simple: The anoymous bastard that keeps bailing out this CRAZED white woman...

If you feed a stray cat, it'll continue to show up unexpectedly.
If you feed a stray dog, it'll sleep at your doorstep.
If you feed homeless bums, they'll piss and defecate in full view of bystanders.

The city should impose a hefty fine for any organization (or outfit) that hands out garbage-food in styrofoam plates to the hordes of homeless/derelict men and women in downtown Atlanta. Who's responsible for picking up the trash? Not only does it cause the southern part of downtown to be littered beyond belief, but it also creates a dependency much like those bloated $hitbags (aka piegons) that litter the urban landscape...
Unfortunately, this is true. I know it might sound harsh, but it's the truth.

In my parking lot (which opens up to Courtland and is adjacent to the shelter) I see people smoking crack ALL the time, literally, all the time. Coming home for work, leaving to meet friends, leaving for work in the morning, and this is right next to the shelter. Obviously they can't control any activities in or around the shelter, so why should it be allowed to exist?

It's just so frustrating because of all the potential the surrounding area has, this one blight has to ruin it for everyone.

Old Posted May 6, 2010, 2:11 PM

Old Posted May 6, 2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_J View Post
Sorry it took me so long to respond.

I don't walk the most direct way to Publix. I take Peachtree Street to North Avenue and walk down there, because all though there isn't a lot of foot traffic in the area, at least there is a lot of traffic in general so I feel a bit safer. I've hardly ever walked there at night without my roommate.

Sometimes I've taken Linden during the day to get to Midtown Tavern/Publix, but again I prefer to not walk there alone.

I've been hassled a few times, but for the most part I've been left alone, but that doesn't mean it's a pleasant walk.
Try wearing some raggedy clothes, don't bathe for a few days, and carry a blanket in a plastic bag. They should accept you as one of their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_J View Post
In my parking lot (which opens up to Courtland and is adjacent to the shelter) I see people smoking crack ALL the time
So if someone wanted to know where to get crack, you could help out?

Old Posted May 16, 2010, 3:22 PM

Well, here is something they are talking about in New York City that might work for the ATL. Let the government take all these empty condos and give them to the homeless or low income people since they are just sitting there and people can't afford them. You put people in a condo like that they are bound to take care of it, it builds up the urban street life fabric, the homeless has a place to live and so forth, your basic win-win situation.

Quote:
They found 41 buildings in the South Bronx that are completely or mostly vacant... In the South Bronx the average price per condo on the market is $943,514, but the average household income is $19,111.

A Push To Lodge Homeless In Vacant Buildings

Old Posted May 16, 2010, 4:00 PM

Ha! This would never happen in Atlanta. The only buildings in Atlanta that are having a really hard time selling are the super high end buildings, and I don't think the bank/developer would see this as a desirable long term option. Good for New York though

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta