HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 10:05 PM

The purple pin is where they are currently building 1225 old town, the former Grossinger Toyota. The lot on the west side of the street was spill over for Grossinger. Does anyone know if this lot was sold in the deal as well, and if so, any potential for development? Currently it houses the construction trailer and some equipment for the project across the street, but curious if this will develop into something of substance in the near future.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 11:15 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post

The purple pin is where they are currently building 1225 old town, the former Grossinger Toyota. The lot on the west side of the street was spill over for Grossinger. Does anyone know if this lot was sold in the deal as well, and if so, any potential for development? Currently it houses the construction trailer and some equipment for the project across the street, but curious if this will develop into something of substance in the near future.
IIRC, the plan was (is) to build large SFHs or rowhouses on that location.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 12:15 PM
TL;DR

I always confuse SFH and SRO...

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 12:43 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I always confuse SFH and SRO...
SFH = Single Futon Homeless

SRO = Super Ritzy Operation

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 4:50 PM
Windy City Dan

Renovations of that great old building at 1030 W Madison are fully underway, bricked up windows have been knocked out and utility work is in progress. I remember seeing some press about this a while back, but I can't pinpoint the exact details. Ill try to get pictures on my way home.

Last edited by intrepidDesign; Aug 31, 2011 at 6:00 PM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 7:01 PM
THAT Guy

Unitrin Building = The Kemper Building. Apparently they're eventually going to change the sign at the top to the new logo/name.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Unitrin Building = The Kemper Building. Apparently they're eventually going to change the sign at the top to the new logo/name.
Will they use the top floor ?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidDesign View Post
Renovations of that great old building at 1030 W Madison are fully underway, bricked up windows have been knocked out and utility work is in progress. I remember seeing some press about this a while back, but I can't pinpoint the exact details. Ill try to get pictures on my way home.

I wonder if they will replace the cornice. I don't understand why so few developers include this in their rehabs. It infuriates me because they always look beatup to me when a cornice is clearly missing - even when everything else has been done nicely. Is it really that cost prohibitive or are they somehow irreplaceable? I just don't get it.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckman821 View Post
I wonder if they will replace the cornice. I don't understand why so few developers include this in their rehabs. It infuriates me because they always look beatup to me when a cornice is clearly missing - even when everything else has been done nicely. Is it really that cost prohibitive or are they somehow irreplaceable? I just don't get it.
It seems to be on either end of the spectrum. Either awful fiberglass jumbo cornices or a copper replacement that probably looks better than the original. There is a huge price difference.

My favorite cornice reconstruction is on this bank in Ann Arbor, MI

Me

Used to look like this

Me

Can you imagine some architect thinking that the EIFS flat top actually looked like a fitting replacement instead of repairs?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 1:13 AM

8-31-11
Ohio and Orleans. It actually looks pretty cool like this!

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckman821 View Post
It's partly due to a lack of a whole lot of mid-range priced cornice material. The cheap, badly proportioned, extruded, hollow fiberglass crap can be bought anywhere. The gorgeous, really expensive copper or custom wood is a little bit harder to find, but its there if you got the cash. But what is in between? Not much. Maybe something in cast aluminum? Or even a milled, proportional, several piece fiberglass one. Or something simple but well made. Good luck. It takes too much time to figure out and do for most builders.

So you have : 1 cheap, 2 don't do it if you can get away with it, 3 or the really expensive. Of course at this message board, most of us like the done right option 3, but in the real world cost is the biggest factor so it usually only 1 and 2. Most people aren't that picky so there isn't much incentive to do something just a little better then the next guy.

Its a problem for most building material now especially finishing material. You got the cheap low end and high expensive high end. Little in between. Example, I ran into recently. Windows. I hate vinyl windows, but that's the main material installed today. Good luck finding a normal simple well made wood window now. The vinyl window market killed the mid priced wood window. Want a simple window, they show vinyl and more vinyl. But vinyl windows are ugly and cheap looking no matter how expensive they are. I got my wood windows but you aren't going to get a great price no matter what you do (though I did find out I didn't spend that much more then the lady next door who put in vinyl). It takes more effort which most don't have the time for.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 1:59 AM

Most current Lakeshore East Village Market deck set:

http://www.magellandevelopment.com/w...age_Market.pdf

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 1:13 PM

^^^ Thanks earlybuyer, cool stuff. Won't this really screw up traffic now though, since it's still pretty much a one way in, one way out deal?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 1:42 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
^^^ Thanks earlybuyer, cool stuff. Won't this really screw up traffic now though, since it's still pretty much a one way in, one way out deal?
Depends on what percentage of their customers drive. It'd be nice if a majority were pedestrians from the surrounding buildings.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 2:00 PM

Chicago gets HUD-backed project conversion

Read More: http://newurbannetwork.com/article/c...nversion-15208

Quote:
The US Department of Housing & Urban Development has chosen Grove Parc Plaza Apartments in the Woodlawn section of Chicago to be the target of HUD's first Choice Neighborhoods Intiative grant. $30.5 million award will be used to help finance demolition of the project—which has had 504 units, all subsidized through Section 8—and its reconstruction as a mixed-income, mixed-use development. It's hoped that the rebuilt development, to be called Woodlawn Park, will be an anchor for revitalization of the neighborhood.

- Though the existing apartments will be razed, subsidies will guarantee that an equal number of affordable units are made available on site or in mixed-income settings nearby. The plan calls for 420 "green" housing units on site, plus 95,000 square feet of retail and community space. It also calls for direct investment in existing multifamily housing in Woodlawn, including foreclosed and abandoned properties (through the Neighborhood Stabilization Program and other programs). HUD said this will result in renovation or construction of 575 mixed-income dwellings off-site. The initiative is also aimed at providing new parks and green space, transportation infrastructure, and a recreational facility.

Woodland Park

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Depends on what percentage of their customers drive. It'd be nice if a majority were pedestrians from the surrounding buildings.
I agree, but look at any whole foods and target. a clusterf*$k of cars...

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyBuyer View Post
Most current Lakeshore East Village Market deck set:

http://www.magellandevelopment.com/w...age_Market.pdf
Wow. . . they really messed up this document. . . I suppose if you want to know how it will look like you'll need to hold it up to a mirror when looking at level 1, 2 and the mezzanine. . . they corrected level 3. . . sloppy oversight. . .

. . .

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
Chicago gets HUD-backed project conversion

Read More: http://newurbannetwork.com/article/c...nversion-15208

Woodland Park

If anyone has ever been past the current complex it's basically brick bunkers.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 5:30 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
I agree, but look at any whole foods and target. a clusterf*$k of cars...
The Whole Foods on Huron seems to be pretty pedestrian. There are occasionally times when some jackass double-parks, but it's fairly rare. Traffic moves through that block about as well as the blocks in either direction. Also, both the Potash Bros. locations on Clark@North and on State just north of Chestnut are pretty pedestrian-focused. So it is possible to have a grocery store without inducing a traffic nightmare. I think making parking non-obvious is the best route. If people see a surface lot, not only does that discourage pedestrian customers, who don't want to walk through/past it, but it acts as an advertisement for drivers. I think that in most of the North Side, grocery stores should be required to put parking over or under their stores instead of using surface lots. It adds to density, too, since it eliminates surface area that actively detracts from the pedestrian experience that benefits from density.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 9:07 PM
THAT Guy

According to the Hyde Park Herald, the University of Chicago is planning to build a new dorm at 56th and Stony Island where the Facilities Services building currently stands.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development