HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
The only major "missing connection" in L.A. that I can think of is the 710 segment from Pasadena down to I-10. Hopefully that will be completed as a tunnel someday.

The other one would be the 105 extension from the 605 to the 5, but I think that one is not even planned as far as I know, and I doubt the will (or funding) is there for that one.
Yeah, this is pretty much impossible now with the Green Line extension to Norwalk well into planning.

Quote:
But I think the age of "new highways/freeways" is over in the L.A. metro. Not only would it be financially difficult, politically it is impossible.
Actually, believe it or not, your forgetting a couple other "theoretical" (meaning they have no funding and are pretty much visions) freeway projects. Both are in Orange County, though. The 241 extension to San Clemente and the Irvine-Corona Tunnel.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 9:12 PM

Question

Has anyone heard any news on when the Expo Line will open?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 1:41 AM

^ In all honesty, nobody TRULY knows. Dates vary from the contractor's claim that it will open in January (probably unlikely), to the constant rumors that it will probably open in the summer (also unlikely).

I'm thinking somewhere in between... March, maybe?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
^ In all honesty, nobody TRULY knows. Dates vary from the contractor's claim that it will open in January (probably unlikely), to the constant rumors that it will probably open in the summer (also unlikely).

I'm thinking somewhere in between... March, maybe?
WHAT???? I thought the Expo was opening this month, man I was looking forward to taking a ride this month on this train.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 10:37 PM

Los Angeles’ Streetcar Plans: Too Duplicative of Existing Services?

Read More: http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2...ting-services/

Quote:
Los Angeles has big hopes for its downtown, and, like most of the country’s major cities, it has seen significant population growth in the inner core over the past ten years. Now, to extend this renaissance, the city — also like many others — is planning a streetcar line that would traverse the district from north to south. Last month, it applied for $37.5 million in U.S. Department of Transportation TIGER grant dollars, which it hopes to supplement with local and private funds to complete an initial route of between 3 and 5 one-way track miles at a cost of between $106 and $138 million.

Despite the fact that planning for the L.A. streetcar goes back for more than a decade thanks to the work of a public-private local advocacy group, the city will have plenty of competition in its effort to win federal funds. Requests for the third round of TIGER funding outnumbered actual funding available by 27 to 1. With so many projects up for consideration, anything funded by Washington ought to be valuable. But L.A.’s project could benefit from significant improvement.

The fundamental problem with the proposed streetcar is that its service pattern would overlap that of other transit lines either funded or in service today. Though there are several corridors under consideration (a final route alignment will be selected in February 2012), each would run within the general north-south corridor between Broadway to the east and Figueroa to the west and Pico to the south and Union Station to the north.

This broad corridor, it turns out, will be mostly duplicated by light rail once the Regional Connector — a more than $1 billion project — links the Blue and Expo lines south of downtown with the Gold Line north of it by 2020. The Silver Line, a bus rapid transit route that connects El Monte to South L.A., runs a very similar alignment. And literally dozens of local and rapid bus lines running with headways of 15 minutes or less throughout the day (shown in yellow on the map below) run similar routes. All of these lines are within half a mile or less of all of the proposed streetcar routes.

The top-rated streetcar route based on a study of alternatives is shown in bold pink; other potential alignments are in dotted pink)

Los Angeles submitted an application for U.S. TIGER funds with the intention of building a downtown streetcar line. But the alignments proposed are very similar to those offered by existing rail and bus services — and each would operate in a one-way loop, a failed transit concept.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
WHAT???? I thought the Expo was opening this month, man I was looking forward to taking a ride this month on this train.
Me, too. I told my dad I want him to come with me and the two of us can ride it. We went on the eastside Gold Line extension only a month or two after it opened.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Yeah, this is pretty much impossible now with the Green Line extension to Norwalk well into planning.

Actually, believe it or not, your forgetting a couple other "theoretical" (meaning they have no funding and are pretty much visions) freeway projects. Both are in Orange County, though. The 241 extension to San Clemente and the Irvine-Corona Tunnel.
Actually I forgot about one: The High Desert Corridor Freeway connecting Palmdale and Victorville:
http://www.metro.net/projects/high-desert-corridor

That one actually is fairly far along in the planning stage.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Actually I forgot about one: The High Desert Corridor Freeway connecting Palmdale and Victorville:
http://www.metro.net/projects/high-desert-corridor

That one actually is fairly far along in the planning stage.
CA doesn't have the money for this. If there was a demand for this highway, the private sector should provide it. Are we sure enough vehicles will use this? It's going to disrupt nearby homes....

It seems only high speed rail is held to this standard.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2011, 5:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
CA doesn't have the money for this. If there was a demand for this highway, the private sector should provide it. Are we sure enough vehicles will use this? It's going to disrupt nearby homes....

No. Actually I have lived near 'hoods both in SoCal and NorCal where the local community litigated noise pollution and eminent domain with regards to freeways. One got reduced in size and put entirely below grade through sfh residential areas (85 in the South Bay).

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post

Actually the public/private partnership model with tolls is being evaluated if you look at the "Project Alternatives" tab. It also includes the right-of-way for High Speed Rail:

Freeway/Tollway Alternative with High-Speed Rail right-of-way
This Alternative is similar to the Freeway/Tollway Alternative (with variations A, B and C) and includes consideration of additional right-of-way for a High-Speed Rail (HSR) facility. This alternative would include a Public-Private Partnership analysis. If a HSR facility is proven to be viable, its engineering and environmental analysis would be funded by others at a later date.

And it will go through mostly empty desert, so it's not nearly as disruptive as CA HSR.

So, no, HSR is not the only project held to that standard. The Private Sector may end up building the Corridor (similar to the OC tollroads).

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 2:10 AM

Yea I think the street cars are pushing it. That regional connector will be enough of a boon. And considering how dense bus service in L.A.

They really don't need those street cars.

Great how they are so active on this though.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 8:28 PM

Expo Handed Over to Metro, Now In Final Pre-Opening Stage

Quote:
Per the Expo Line's Facebook page, and now The Source too, the light rail's construction authority has handed the line over to Metro to begin pre-revenue operations, the last stage before you can ride the darn thing. This last step simulates regular service, but without picking up passengers. Posters on the Transit Coalition boards believe Sunday will be the first official day of pre-revenue, which would mean the line could open around mid-January as the last step takes about a month to complete.
Quote:
The Source bloggers took the train for a test ride last week and Steve Hymon wrote that there were some amazingly fast portions, especially between Western and Crenshaw, and a sloooow section near Farmdale, where locals fought for a tunnel but got an at-grade station with several safety precautions.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 4:39 PM

L.A. rolls out clean bus fleet (LA Times)

B]L.A. rolls out clean bus fleet[/B]
Ninety-five Commuter Express vehicles will run on compressed natural gas and provide commuters with adjustable seats and climate control.

Bus operator Francisco Sigala displays the engine and cooling system on a new Commuter Express bus, which runs on compressed natural gas. (Kirk McKoy / Los Angeles Times / November 30, 2011)

By Ari Bloomekatz
Los Angeles Times
December 1, 2011

"After riding L.A.'s Commuter Express for more than 20 years, Janis Risch said the 423 bus from Agoura Hills to downtown is showing its age: In heavy downpours, the roof leaks. In sweltering heat, the air conditioner sometimes dies.

So it was with a smile Wednesday that Risch climbed aboard one of the city's new commuter buses for its inaugural run.

"These feel much better," Risch, 60, said as she leaned back into her adjustable seat..."

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,4121729.story

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 6:07 AM
Here we stAy

So this is just a tiny bit important...

http://www.scag.ca.gov/rtp2012/index.htm

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 1:41 AM
Environmental Sabotage

[QUOTE=M II A II R II K;5482922]Los Angeles’ Streetcar Plans: Too Duplicative of Existing Services?

Read More: http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2...ting-services/

So what! San Francisco has both the subway and the streetcar go up Market Street and they both serve a purpose and are useful.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 1:43 AM
Environmental Sabotage

double post.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2011, 8:03 AM

Forgive me if this sounds uninformed;

As a transit nerd I've been following the developments in LA (and the west in general) with great interest. Despite the austerity, Metro seems to have some good projects lined up.

In the future, do you think anything can be done to improve rail service in the Valley? There are a lot of people in the area that seem to be in a bit of a transit dead zone. (save for buses).

The Orange Line seems to be a hit, do you think other corridors could work as BRT, like that Sepdevulda Pass proposal? Rail seems like a stretch in that part of town because there doesn't seem to be the density to warrant it.

I ask because if (and mind you IF) that football stadium gets built and a team comes to the city, the traffic will be nuts, and alternatives will be needed.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2011, 7:32 PM

Union Station, Los Angeles

Read More: http://www.uli.org/CommunityBuilding...StationCA.aspx

Quote:
Recently purchased by Metro, Union Station is located adjacent to downtown Los Angeles, the region's civic center. As the regional transit hub, Union Station connects five bustling counties in Southern California via multiple rail and commuter lines, including Amtrak, Metro Rail (Red, Purple and Gold Lines), and Metrolink, as well as Metro and other transit buses, The transit operations result in approximately 100,000 people daily accessing the site. Los Angeles Union Station additionally encompasses a total of over 40 acres and is entitled for a remaining 5.9 million square feet of office, retail, entertainment, and residential development. Union Station is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. First opened in 1939, the station was restored in 1992.

- The goal is to Union Station Mapcapitalize on this major redevelopment and create better connectivity between Union Station and the greater downtown areas. More specific questions will consider:

(1) what market opportunities will be created by the emergence of Union Station as the transit hub for Southern California, and, given these;

(2) what land use changes the City should implement for the area influenced by Union Station;

(3) how can the City better connect the area north of the 101 freeway to the Civic Center and Central City (and thus Union Station);

(4) how can the City plan to have Union Station reinforce and complement activities in Chinatown, Olvera Street, Little Tokyo and along the LA River; and

(5) how should the City prioritize area infrastructure improvements to take advantage of the redevelopment of Union Station.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
In the future, do you think anything can be done to improve rail service in the Valley? There are a lot of people in the area that seem to be in a bit of a transit dead zone. (save for buses).

The Orange Line seems to be a hit, do you think other corridors could work as BRT, like that Sepdevulda Pass proposal? Rail seems like a stretch in that part of town because there doesn't seem to be the density to warrant it.
Actually the density in the area definitely warrants LRT in the future. Problem is, the 405/Sepulveda Pass and Sepulveda/Van Nuys SFV corridors are two separate projects. But there is a plan to combine the two:

http://la.curbed.com/uploads/2011_02_405line.jpg

Quote:
I ask because if (and mind you IF) that football stadium gets built and a team comes to the city, the traffic will be nuts, and alternatives will be needed.
The Expo Line will help A LOT in alleviating traffic from Farmers Field. So will a new streetcar.

Oh, and I invite you to this forum dedicated to transit in LA:

http://transittalk.proboards.com/index.cgi

Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 6:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Actually the density in the area definitely warrants LRT in the future. Problem is, the 405/Sepulveda Pass and Sepulveda/Van Nuys SFV corridors are two separate projects. But there is a plan to combine the two:

http://la.curbed.com/uploads/2011_02_405line.jpg

The Expo Line will help A LOT in alleviating traffic from Farmers Field. So will a new streetcar.

Oh, and I invite you to this forum dedicated to transit in LA:

http://transittalk.proboards.com/index.cgi
This is an interesting issue. Over in the "City" discussions, there's a list that show that 5 of the 10 US freeway stretches with the worst traffic are at and around the intersection of the the 10 and 110 (Santa Monica and Harbor). Expo will help, but not much since most car traffic is not bound downtown; it's just passing through on the way to the SGV, OC, LB, etc.

Football will definitely be a problem for 10 days a year, plus whatever else occurs at the stadium.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation