HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
...But a lot of people still think that it's the same speed limit as Deerfoot, and therefore go 110 or higher! Not sure why, when there's lots of signage indicating 100! Sheesh!
I have a couple of preferred speeds on Stoney. I do 110 most of the time and 100 or 97 when I am trying to get my daughter to sleep. Occasionally I will go slower, closer to 90kph when its late at night and the kid will not go to sleep under any circumstances. I drive slower as our usual circut is CHB NW to either of Harvest Hills, Metis, CHB East, or Mcknight. I drive slow so that i don;t needlessly use up a lot of real estate while she gets settled and to sleep.

IF I am going slower than the speed limit, I am always in the right hand lane and give people lots of opportunity to pass me.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 1:39 AM
IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
On that stretch between Beddington/Shag/Sarcee, the incline prevents a lot of big trucks from getting up to speed. The extra lane on Stoney is a godsend! But a lot of people still think that it's the same speed limit as Deerfoot, and therefore go 110 or higher! Not sure why, when there's lots of signage indicating 100! Sheesh!
Stoney should be 110 km/h. It's designed for that and is way safer than the QE2 / TCH at 110. I certainly can see why people coming into Calgary keep going the same speed - it's actually a better road than most of what they have been driving on.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 5:16 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Deerfoot is 100 through most of Calgary and thus is the same as Stoney.

Stoney is actually 80 from Tuscany Blvd to the TCH on the west side of town as well, and a lot of people have trouble getting up over 80 as they climb the hill NB. Hopefully the new interchange will help with that.

But yes, it is very hard for me to keep it at 100 on this road, especially once I get east of Deerfoot.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 5:21 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Deerfoot is 100 through most of Calgary and thus is the same as Stoney.

Stoney is actually 80 from Tuscany Blvd to the TCH on the west side of town as well, and a lot of people have trouble getting up over 80 as they climb the hill NB. Hopefully the new interchange will help with that.

But yes, it is very hard for me to keep it at 100 on this road, especially once I get east of Deerfoot.
Lots of vehicles go at around 120 on the eastern part.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 6:22 PM

According to the City of Calgary's forecast mapping, once the next stage of widening happens on Stoney (10-20 years), the speed limit is supposed to be increased to 110 km/h.

Making everything extra open and moving any obstacles well outside the edges of the roads makes it feel like you can go as fast as you want. An unintended side effect (or maybe acceptable to them) of the safer roadways.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 4:25 AM

Peigan trail deerfoot to new ring road only 2 lanes total.

Peigan trail S.E. E/W deerfoot to new ring road(under construction). Can't wait for CN rail to pull out of S.E.Calgary. Residents ignored often.

In 2010 on any typical weekday there were 26000 cars both directions former barlow trail between Mcknight and the airport on 4 lanes. Same day between Deerfoot trail and 36 Street S.E. both directions on Peigan trail there were 26000 vehicles on only 2 lanes.
If deerfoot backs up any direction can you imagine the traffic tie up going East on Peigan trail to the ring road with lights at Denny's and 36 street as well as CN train line running across peigan?

City's email response was they are aware of this however the money used for peigan trail widening and other connector roads was reallocated by the mayor last year for the airport tunnel so there is no foreseeable budget for our projects from 15 years ago still unbuilt.
Very upset S.E. residents keep getting ignored for any much needed projects.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEsupporter View Post
City's email response was they are aware of this however the money used for peigan trail widening and other connector roads was reallocated by the mayor last year for the airport tunnel so there is no foreseeable budget for our projects from 15 years ago still unbuilt.
Very upset S.E. residents keep getting ignored for any much needed projects.
The difference here is that Peigan can be twinned whenever the money comes around. There's nothing stopping them from doing it. The Airport tunnel was very time sensitive, and if the Airport was in the South East, then it would be some other quadrant complaining about being left out of the funding extravaganza.

Hard decisions never make everyone happy, but I for one am glad the City had the foresight to get the tunnel done now instead of later/never due to the ridiculous cost post-construction of the new runway.

I think it's stupid that 14th Street South of Anderson is still a two lane rural road until hits Canyon Meadows Drive (and quite the pinch point in rush hour), but I'm not going to complain if they're building higher priority stuff first.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 4:18 PM
Closed account

New article up on my ring road blog. This one is about the planning and development of Midnapore, and about the origins of the congestion the area is facing. Thanks to Fusili for the information about Bow Bottom Trail and how it was built in the original Deerfoot Trail right-of-way (from an old post).

http://calgaryringroad.wordpress.com

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 5:37 PM

That's a very interesting blog 5seconds! I always figured that as soon as the SW ring road was completed the developers would start clamoring to build (Eventually jamming whatever road they build) I didn't realize that an 80,000 strong area was on the books already just waiting for the road. With planing on that scale, it may benefit the city to plan for an eventual C-Train line along with whatever road solution they finally settle on.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socguy View Post
That's a very interesting blog 5seconds! I always figured that as soon as the SW ring road was completed the developers would start clamoring to build (Eventually jamming whatever road they build) I didn't realize that an 80,000 strong area was on the books already just waiting for the road. With planing on that scale, it may benefit the city to plan for an eventual C-Train line along with whatever road solution they finally settle on.
There is somewhat of a plan for CTrain to Providence, but its not the greatest idea and only exists in a very very conceptual plan. Pretty much they idea would be to run it along 162nd Ave from east to west, linking the SE and S lines and then continuing out to the western edge of the Providence area. The right of way along 162nd was laid out with a huge median, similar to Harvest Hills in the north or 17th Ave west of Sarcee prior to the WLRT, but aside from that and some mention in some of the ASP's for the area theres no policy or plan to my knowledge

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 6:31 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socguy View Post
Thanks! Yes, the Providence area was approved in 2006 on condition of a Sarcee Trail extension (among others).

Here is the reporting on the approvals: LINK

The regional policy can be found here: LINK

Here is a link from urban planners working on the area, including some plans and images:

http://tsix.ca/projects/?p=58

As for LRT: At one point there was a long-range plan for the LRT to head south from the WestLRT at 17th avenue down Sarcee Trail, through the reserve and end up in Providence. However, those plans seem to have disappeared, and the 2009 Southwest Calgary Ring Road design makes no allowance for an LRT along that corridor. (despite the proposed Tsuu T'ina agreement allowing for LRT usage)

There is currently a semi-plan to run the LRT from Providence eastwards along 162 avenue to meet up with the South LRT line though. (I'm not sure if it would join the tracks there and continue north, or if it would be separate and require a line-change to go downtown). Initially it would be BRT route, and apparently LRT in the distant future.

EDIT: Mersar beat me to it! The 162ave interchange in the 2009 ring road design included accommodation for an LRT bridge, though no actual design:

Last edited by 5seconds; Jul 3, 2012 at 7:25 PM.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 7:12 PM

88 st /22x

It looks like 22x is ready to be moved to the future EB lanes at 88 st. Drove by last night and saw that the 1st oiling/paving was done. 22x could then pass under the new bridge structure at that interchange.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 9:17 PM
Closed account

I was wondering if someone can help me out with a few questions I had with the staging of Stoney Trail in the NW.

1) Was the initial section from Highway 1 to Crowchild opened in 1997 when the bridge was completed?

2) When was it was extended to Country Hills Blvd?

3) Does anyone know when the next section, from Country Hills Blvd to Harvest Hills Blvd was opened? It was started started in 2005, but I can't seem to find out when it opened, or if this section was opened in stages.

(I do know (I think!) that the last section from Harvest Hills to Deerfoot was opened in November of 2009, along with the NE section it it's entirety.)

Thanks!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 9:38 PM

^^

1) Yes this is when the initial section was completed. However I thought the first section was completed more into the 1995 timeframe. Could wrong and it might be 1997. I remember taking John Laurie to Nose Hill Drive to Stoney Trail. A few years later Country Hills Blvd was opened up to Stoney Trail (a lonely four way stop intersection at the time) and the family bypass route became Hwy 2 to Country Hills to Stoney Trail.

2) Extended to country hills by 2000 IIRC. West Citadel was completed by 2001 so 2000 or 1999 appear to be accurate.

3) Country Hills Blvd to Harvest Hill blvd was completed in June 2009, just before I moved to Citadel. during summer and fall 2009 I had frequent trips to Denver area and my wife would drive me to the airport. in Fall our route was Stoney Trail to HHB to CHB to Airport. The remaining sections of Stoney openned November 2, 2009.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 9:47 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
I was wondering if someone can help me out with a few questions I had with the staging of Stoney Trail in the NW.

1) Was the initial section from Highway 1 to Crowchild opened in 1997 when the bridge was completed?

2) When was it was extended to Country Hills Blvd?

3) Does anyone know when the next section, from Country Hills Blvd to Harvest Hills Blvd was opened? It was started started in 2005, but I can't seem to find out when it opened, or if this section was opened in stages.

(I do know (I think!) that the last section from Harvest Hills to Deerfoot was opened in November of 2009, along with the NE section it it's entirety.)

Thanks!
CHB - Sarcee opened November 25, 2008
Sarcee to Harvest Hills Blvd opened July 10, 2009
Harvest Hills to 17th Ave SE opened November 2, 2009

Best place to look for that information: This very thread of course!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 9:57 PM

Wasn't the very initial section just Crowchild to Scenic Acres Gate for a short while? I seem to recall driving down it once and that was the end.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 10:23 PM
Closed account

Awesome! Thank you both!

If anyone has more specific information about the first section, I would love to hear it. I know it was approved in 1993, and construction began in 1994, but I wasn't sure if the entire first section was closed until the bridge was put in (1997) or if parts were open before that (EDIT: As Mersar is recalling).

I know that DWL Engineering did the initial CHB-DEERFOOT FPS in 1997 but couldn't find the date when the Country Hills expansion was opened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
Best place to look for that information: This very thread of course!
Of course I should know that! Still, I think you guys are more accurate than my searches. I appreciate it!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
New article up on my ring road blog. This one is about the planning and development of Midnapore, and about the origins of the congestion the area is facing. Thanks to Fusili for the information about Bow Bottom Trail and how it was built in the original Deerfoot Trail right-of-way (from an old post).

http://calgaryringroad.wordpress.com
I know I'm a couple weeks late on this but thanks for the great post. Just an FYI...it's Macleod Trail, not McLeod Trail.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 7:02 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I know I'm a couple weeks late on this but thanks for the great post. Just an FYI...it's Macleod Trail, not McLeod Trail.
Thanks, I genuinely appreciate the feedback! I will change that now.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 8:43 PM
Closed account

Not sure if this is new or not, but I saw this computer-generated flythrough video on the Calgary Herald of the Edmonton Ring Road. I wonder if Calgary will get something like this.

It really puts the scope of their project into perspective.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/la...012/story.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure