HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Abraj Al Bait in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Mecca Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 21, 2008, 12:08 AM

Looks more like a fortress than a city.....

Old Posted Dec 21, 2008, 10:53 AM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
Yes, only Muslims are allowed into Mecca, but its the King's decision not a religious one.

BTW, that plan is awesome. I like it, it would allow pilgrims easier access to the mosque. Unfortunately, it does look a little awkward, wish they would make the buildings look a little less generic.

As a Muslim, I say who cares what the "king" says. It is what God says that matters.

Yes non-Muslims are allowed in Mecca and Medina.

-sb

Old Posted Dec 21, 2008, 10:34 PM
James

Really?! I didn't know that non-muslims were allowed, I've always heard different that's exciting to know.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2008, 11:55 PM

Everything I can find says the opposite.

WARNING: Non-Muslims are strictly prohibited from entering the holy city of Mecca. The penalty is deportation from the country. Documentation will be checked upon entry and anyone not showing proof of being Muslim will be denied entry. As a solitary exception, the Mecca bus terminal (outside city limits) is open to all.
http://wikitravel.org/en/Mecca

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 7:22 PM

so it's orrible.. but can contains many people.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 2:12 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Everything I can find says the opposite.

WARNING: Non-Muslims are strictly prohibited from entering the holy city of Mecca. The penalty is deportation from the country. Documentation will be checked upon entry and anyone not showing proof of being Muslim will be denied entry. As a solitary exception, the Mecca bus terminal (outside city limits) is open to all.
http://wikitravel.org/en/Mecca
Like I said previously, who cares what the "king" says upon entry into Mecca.

-sb

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 8:59 PM
She needs her space

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
All you have to do is tell them youre a muslim. They cant prove you arent one. Its really easy to get into Mecca. Just buy some of the traditional muslim garb and you will be golden. Just dont say anything about other religions and nobody will ask any questions.
Isnt that lovely, the peaceful religion of Islam only wants other peaceful Muslims in their cities, and following Islamic law. Let's be honest with ourselves, this proposal, sucks, is ugly, looks like a commune, is in a Muslim city where only Muslims are allowed, is funded with oil money which is nothing more than money for Islamic expansion and power, and should not be praised or glorified.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 9:02 PM
Registirred User

I don't understand -- how would officials in Mecca know if you're Muslim or not? For starters, I think I can get away with being Muslim based on physical appearance. What else do I need?

btw welcome back Shakman. We haven't seen you in ages.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 9:04 PM
BANNED

That Domino city makes me loving it this another planet civilization... Make me feel Alliens really arrived.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2009, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3 View Post
Isnt that lovely, the peaceful religion of Islam only wants other peaceful Muslims in their cities, and following Islamic law. Let's be honest with ourselves, this proposal, sucks, is ugly, looks like a commune, is in a Muslim city where only Muslims are allowed, is funded with oil money which is nothing more than money for Islamic expansion and power, and should not be praised or glorified.
Agreed.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2009, 1:41 AM
Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthq View Post
I don't understand -- how would officials in Mecca know if you're Muslim or not? For starters, I think I can get away with being Muslim based on physical appearance. What else do I need?
...The secret handshake! In all seriousness, if somebody is trying to pass as Muslim in Mecca, they should be aware of two things:

1) You are breaking the law--one which was not decreed by the religion, but by the ruler of that country. Saudi Arabia is not the best place in the world for a foreigner to "get busted" for breaking the law.

2) Any non-Muslim attempting this, would be incredibly naive to not spend weeks or even months--researching the nuances and details of the religion...in order to be passable.

Personally, I'll settle for relying on our Muslim friends for pictures(as long as they got the permit!) and updates of this project--hint, hint--it's been a while! Maligned by many others on this thread, I'm in the camp that finds this an intriguing, impressive structure.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2009, 1:40 AM
Don't tear anything down.

It's well documented that non-Muslims aren't allowed inside Mecca.

Quote:
Non-Muslims are not permitted to enter Mecca by Saudi law.[3] [44]

Many religious scholars say this "discrimination" exists because Mecca was once a city where Muslims - including the prophet Mohammed - were persecuted and driven out. When Mohammed and his followers reclaimed the city, it was declared a sanctuary ... a place where every Muslim should feel safe. [citation needed]

Those who use fake certificates of Muslim identity (to enter) may be arrested and prosecuted by Saudi authorities[45]

The Saudi government uses the following verse as a Qur’an confirmation for this law, however there are other interpretations to this verse (in particular, People of the Book would usually not be regarded as pagans)[46]):

"O ye who believe! Truly the Pagans are unpure; so let them not, after this year of theirs, approach the Sacred Mosque. And if ye fear poverty, soon will God enrich you, if He wills, out of His bounty, for God is All-knowing, All-wise." -- Qur’an, 9:28

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mecca#E...or_Non-Muslims

Old Posted Jan 3, 2009, 6:30 AM
James

leftopolis brought up a good point, are there any new pictures of this building?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 3:05 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

I want UPDATES!
Pretty please.
for this infidel

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 3:09 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainstreet View Post

what in the?

thinking about it its problynot a bad idea concerdering millions of people make the pilgrimage every year it makes it that much esayer to controll the croweds... i have muslim friends that have gone even one that used to volinteer helping controll the crowds back in the 60's-70's befor they got organized on getting people in and out... actualy he was one of the ones the started a system to help get people in and out with ease

anyhow we need an update!!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasir View Post
Sorry about the random framing but I took these with an iPhoney.

Yasser, where did your photos go??!! I am dying to see them! Please re-post. They are not visible anymore

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainstreet View Post

Yes, but Christians and Jews are not "pagans." Along with the Muslims (and the Sabbians and the Magi), they form a single nation and creed. They are referred to in the Koran, as the "People of the Book." So, forbidding Christians and Jews coming to Mecca is an innuendo ("Bid'a") not an Islamic edict.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 12:42 AM
Dryer lint inspector

what if you convert to islam? quite a few african-americans are muslim converts.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 1:13 AM
Earthling

OK...I found something on the intertubes:

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 1:45 AM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
Erm..there are plans for a HUGE expansion.

Yeah..it looks like dominoes. And crap.
Wowww.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive