HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
went for a drive this morning on the whole north portion from college/mccormond to marquis/wanuskewin and back, its a very nice drive, not very many intersections which is good for the rush hour traffic. Aside from that, its alot longer than i anticipated. gives you an idea on how much we have grown out on that area. Looking forward to seeing the city develop around the swale a bit.
Are the intersections controlled access, or did they end up going for the traffic light route in the end? If it's the latter I feel it's a bit short-sighted as the city's growth plan for 500,000 will bog this area down in 10-15 years.

Either way, maybe I'll take a drive up there tomorrow and see for myself.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigonish View Post
Went for a cruise out there this afternoon and noticed there is a small section prior to Fedoruk that isn't divided, just curious for the reason. Otherwise it's a nice drive and a massive upgrade from driving south down Warman Road -> Circle Dr. -> Attridge. Was also happy to see a couple dozen cyclists using the bike lanes along the whole trip

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Are the intersections controlled access, or did they end up going for the traffic light route in the end? If it's the latter I feel it's a bit short-sighted as the city's growth plan for 500,000 will bog this area down in 10-15 years.

I took note of quite a few "future" intersections along Central and heading West towards the bridge--things flow well right now due to there being nothing there, but once it's plugged full of traffic lights it will definitely slow things down.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyku View Post
I took note of quite a few "future" intersections along Central and heading West towards the bridge--things flow well right now due to there being nothing there, but once it's plugged full of traffic lights it will definitely slow things down.
This road was NEVER designed as a freeway. It was designed as a major arterial road. Like Attridge, 8th, 22nd, etc. The freeway is to be about 1 km north and will be the Saskatoon Bypass. The Saskatoon bypass should be like the Regina Bypass and Circle Drive with controlled access.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Went for a cruise out there this afternoon and noticed there is a small section prior to Fedoruk that isn't divided, just curious for the reason. Otherwise it's a nice drive and a massive upgrade from driving south down Warman Road -> Circle Dr. -> Attridge. Was also happy to see a couple dozen cyclists using the bike lanes along the whole trip
I'd been told that the section that is not divided and has no median is designed that way to make it easier for wildlife to cross. It should also be the section with the 50 km/h speed limit.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post

This road was NEVER designed as a freeway. It was designed as a major arterial road. Like Attridge, 8th, 22nd, etc. The freeway is to be about 1 km north and will be the Saskatoon Bypass. The Saskatoon bypass should be like the Regina Bypass and Circle Drive with controlled access.
I didn't say/think it was--just commenting how people who are enjoying how smooth sailing the uninterrupted travel is now may not enjoy it as much once the area is developed and more lights come into play. The speed limit changes will probably (hopefully?) make more sense at that time as well, which is causing people to "lose their minds" right now with nothing there.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 9:53 PM

Quote:
I didn't say/think it was--just commenting how people who are enjoying how smooth sailing the uninterrupted travel is now may not enjoy it as much once the area is developed and more lights come into play. The speed limit changes will probably (hopefully?) make more sense at that time as well, which is causing people to "lose their minds" right now with nothing there.
That comment was more aimed at the person you were responding to that said it was short-sighted not to have interchanges planned for this road. Got to understand Road hierarchy to understand what this road is doing.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 10:10 PM

Not sure if it has been mentioned here before, or in a long time maybe, but the way Lenore Dr. ends at the river it seems like there may have been an intention to build a bridge crossing there at some point. Or maybe not. I don't know.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandCritter View Post
Not sure if it has been mentioned here before, or in a long time maybe, but the way Lenore Dr. ends at the river it seems like there may have been an intention to build a bridge crossing there at some point. Or maybe not. I don't know.
Interesting observation--would also be interested to hear if there was ever some forward planning for a bridge location there. It definitely looks like it could have been a good candidate for what became the new North bridge location, but it's probably pretty unlikely anything will come of it now.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Interesting observation--would also be interested to hear if there was ever some forward planning for a bridge location there. It definitely looks like it could have been a good candidate for what became the new North bridge location, but it's probably pretty unlikely anything will come of it now.
I would say the reasoning, the biggest reason, would be the amount of residential and the high schools on that road. Otherwise yup it would have been great!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 10:32 AM

I thought the North Commuter was going to Lenore drive this whole time lol. Either their and/or 33rd need pretty bridges

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 12:45 AM

Quote:

Yep, this was my mistake; I was confused at this bypass and the outer (arch?) road planned in the future.

Quote:
That comment was more aimed at the person you were responding to that said it was short-sighted not to have interchanges planned for this road. Got to understand Road hierarchy to understand what this road is doing.
You probably meant me, and yeah I got the two mixed up. The map on the wall at my office has the full plans up and I realized my mistake.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 3:12 PM

Some more detail from Imagine Idylwyld including a video--I like how they kept it realistic with only a couple people biking... It actually looks pretty decent, but my main concern would be the Northbound intersection at 22nd--it looks like it won't take much traffic turning Westbound to totally block the center thru-lane. However, having the lane closest to the sidewalk/cycle paths not end at 24th street anymore would at least let people make better use of that lane without fearing having to "butt in" down the line like it currently is.

https://www.ckom.com/2018/10/16/subt...-traffic-city/

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 10:02 PM

Mcormond & college interchange opening

https://globalnews.ca/news/4556894/m...-open-traffic/

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 8:29 PM

Nice view from the new Traffic Bridge

credit: Eric Anderson

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 5:53 AM

McOrmond Drive Etymology?

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but it seemed like a good match. Would any of you Saskatonians be able to tell me the origin of the name for McOrmond Drive? As a member of the family myself I've always been puzzled as to why there would be a road in Saskatoon carrying my name. Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroman520 View Post
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but it seemed like a good match. Would any of you Saskatonians be able to tell me the origin of the name for McOrmond Drive? As a member of the family myself I've always been puzzled as to why there would be a road in Saskatoon carrying my name. Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks
Saskatchewan's first woman mayor, Florence McOrmond (Herstory 1986), was elected in Sutherland in 1945. She worked tirelessly to improve the quality of housing in her town, arranging for the provision of sewers, water connections and street lights to at least 75% percent of the homes in the town.

I am not sure if you know that Sutherland is now a neighbourhood in Saskatoon.

Saskatoon Public Library In-House Databases

Last edited by Stormer; Nov 6, 2018 at 4:42 PM.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 4:01 PM

Some awards for the bridge projects

https://globalnews.ca/news/4632032/s...ridge-traffic/

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 7:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Saskatchewan's first woman mayor, Florence McOrmond (Herstory 1986), was elected in Sutherland in 1945. She worked tirelessly to improve the quality of housing in her town, arranging for the provision of sewers, water connections and street lights to at least 75% percent of the homes in the town.

I am not sure if you know that Sutherland is now a neighbourhood in Saskatoon.

Saskatoon Public Library In-House Databases
Thank you for your help, Stormer. A long time mystery (to me) is finally solved. A small caveat (if you care to hear) I found while researching Florence is that she is my Great-grandaunt by marriage. Her husband John, my patrilineal Great-granduncle, was apparently also politically involved; he ran as a Conservative candidate in the 1930 provincial election, although I don't have any published sources to back that up. Obviously her achievements overshadow his. Anyway, thank you kindly for your assistance.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroman520 View Post
Thank you for your help, Stormer. A long time mystery (to me) is finally solved. A small caveat (if you care to hear) I found while researching Florence is that she is my Great-grandaunt by marriage. Her husband John, my patrilineal Great-granduncle, was apparently also politically involved; he ran as a Conservative candidate in the 1930 provincial election, although I don't have any published sources to back that up. Obviously her achievements overshadow his. Anyway, thank you kindly for your assistance.
Awesome! I love genealogy. It is so rare when you can find something concrete (or is it asphalt in this case?).

Here is the book excerpt with a picture of her with John Diefenbaker:

https://books.google.ca/books?id=XhH...chewan&f=false

Last edited by Stormer; Nov 7, 2018 at 3:41 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan