HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 1:01 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Or maybe I'm overexcited over a wicked win over the Warriors where Curry and Thompson both couldn't make a shot! Who knows.
Obviously it's early, and obviously a great team like the Warriors will make adjustments to match up with whatever team they play in the playoffs, but Toronto's defense is the best I've ever seen them play in their entire existence. They way they were harassing Golden State's shooters was totally by design.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 5:39 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Obviously it's early, and obviously a great team like the Warriors will make adjustments to match up with whatever team they play in the playoffs, but Toronto's defense is the best I've ever seen them play in their entire existence. They way they were harassing Golden State's shooters was totally by design.
Siakam on Durant was a particular joy. I've fallen in love with him ever since his clearly ratting defense on LeBron last playoffs.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 11:54 PM

Chris Boucher looks like a thing. Just called up. Scored 47 for the 905 the other night.

Yeah, I find the location of Raptors 905 a little peculiar. It's convenient, yes, but it's nowhere so...

It might be kinda cool if they moved down the highway and played out of the McMaster basketball facility - seats 3 or 4 thousand, I believe. I can't imagine a g-league team needing a bigger venue than that.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 2:58 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Yeah, I find the location of Raptors 905 a little peculiar. It's convenient, yes, but it's nowhere so...

It might be kinda cool if they moved down the highway and played out of the McMaster basketball facility - seats 3 or 4 thousand, I believe. I can't imagine a g-league team needing a bigger venue than that.
It's convenient if you have a car, I suppose.

I wonder why they don't play out of the Coliseum down at Exhibition. Is it not able to accommodate multi-sport? Is it too large? Too difficult to reach? Seems like a pretty simple place to throw a minor league basketball team. I know the whole motif of the team is supposed to be 905 and capturing more of the GTA...

I took a quick look at their boxscores and their crowds aren't too bad. Usually floating in the high 2K, some mid 1K...looks like they draw similarly to the Steelheads.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 10:48 PM
Registered Drug User

Really not happy about this trade. Twenty-six-year-old JV for thirty-four-year-old Marc Gasol, plus we're losing Delon Wright and CJ Miles?

I really liked Jonas Valanciunas.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 10:58 PM

JV is 26 and at this point will probably never be anything more than a specialized tool to be used against the few teams that still run their offence through an old-school, post-up big man. He's slow and one of the worst pick and roll defenders in the league, making him too easy to exploit in the playoffs and unsuitable to play sustained minutes. Unfortunately for him, he entered the league 10 years too late, in a time where teams are willing to sacrifice size for mobility and spacing. Raps are rebuilding next year when Kawhi leaves, with or without JV. I doubt the pieces we could have got for him in the off-season would be significant game changers in that process.

Raps are all in now. Gasol is past his prime no doubt, but this will be the most motivated he has been in years. He's still a fantastic post defender, can guard stretch bigs, and provides a ton more spacing on offence than JV can. If he can show flashes of his former self during the playoffs, the Raps are once again one of the top contenders in the East.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 11:26 PM
The New Republic

Things just got very interesting.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
JV is 26 and at this point will probably never be anything more than a specialized tool to be used against the few teams that still run their offence through an old-school, post-up big man. He's slow and one of the worst pick and roll defenders in the league, making him too easy to exploit in the playoffs and unsuitable to play sustained minutes. Unfortunately for him, he entered the league 10 years too late, in a time where teams are willing to sacrifice size for mobility and spacing. Raps are rebuilding next year when Kawhi leaves, with or without JV. I doubt the pieces we could have got for him in the off-season would be significant game changers in that process.

Raps are all in now. Gasol is past his prime no doubt, but this will be the most motivated he has been in years. He's still a fantastic post defender, can guard stretch bigs, and provides a ton more spacing on offence than JV can. If he can show flashes of his former self during the playoffs, the Raps are once again one of the top contenders in the East.
I think there's a chance Kawhi re-signs if we make it to the finals, in which case we would not be rebuilding. That's a big "if", though.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 3:39 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu3ry_JkqU4

Great little documentary about Eastern Commerce basketball team.

Eastern(east end) along with Oakwood(west end) dominated Toronto and Ontario basketball for decades.

Goes into how gentrification and demographics of the city closed the school.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 2:43 AM
Registered Drug User

Gasol really looked good last night against the Nets. But I'm still not over the loss of Valanciunas. I'm watching him now in Memphis's game against San Antonio. It's his first appearance for the Grizzlies, and the Memphis play-by-play guys are really impressed by him. Wright looks good out there too. As much as Gasol appears to be an improvement, Toronto really gave up a lot to get him.

At one point the play-by-play guys joked that it looked like they were watching a Toronto Raptors alumni game. And they weren't kidding:

San Antonio:
DeMar DeRozan
Jakob Poeltl
Rudy Gay
Marco Belinelli

Memphis:
Jonas Valanciunas
Delon Wright
JC Miles
Bruno Caboclo

Weird how Caboclo somehow keeps hanging on with 10-day contracts with NBA teams. Must be due to his youth and athletic look, because otherwise he plays like the same timid three-point-shot hoisting flunky he was with the Raps.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 6:53 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Jeremy Lin is coming to the Raptors too?! I feel so out of the loop, no idea what's going on anymore but it sure is an interesting time.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 7:11 PM

Hawks likely couldn't get anything for Lin at the deadline without taking on another team's bad contract. They want cap space for some big upcoming free agent classes so they bought him out and the Raps get to sign him without giving up anything.

I think it's great to have another playmaking guard coming off the bench with Wright now gone. FVV has been terribly inconsistent in that regard this year. He seems incapable of making a pass without dribbling the ball for 12 seconds first, not to mention he's injured for at least 3 weeks.

Problem is Lin doesn't solve our problem of inconsistent 3-point shooting which I think will ultimately sink us against the Bucks in a potential ECF matchup. Raps have struggled in multiple games this year where everyone (outside of Danny Green whose been amazing) simultaneously goes cold from the 3-point line for extended periods of time. Can't afford to hit a cold streak like that in the playoffs. Milwaukee and Philadelphia both bolstered their spot up 3-point shooting ability at the deadline and I fear that might be the difference maker in a league where playoff success has become so reliant on having multiple deep threats.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 8:54 PM
Registered Drug User

Though VanVleet is a reliable 3-point shooter down the stretch. He always seems to come up with important shots when needed.

I'm liking Patrick McCaw. And I'm really liking Norman Powell's play of late, the way he's driving to the hoop and making plays. Not to mention how much better his 3-pointer looks.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 10:14 PM

We're going to need the Norman Powell who earned that big contract in the 2016 playoffs. Our depth from last year has been decimated, and while the top 7 guys are most important in the playoffs, I have serious concerns about Lowry's body holding up.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 10:24 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

They'll need Lin a little more now - FVV is out 3-5 weeks with a thumb injury.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 10:44 PM
ハルウララ

I was really concerned trading Valanciunas & co. away for Gasol but signing Lin makes that pill a bit easier to swallow, I think.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 11:17 PM

Sure makes it easier for the MLSE execs knowing that they will sell thousands of those jerseys in the first week.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 1:09 AM
The New Republic

Qualification for the 2019 World Cup has just wrapped up. Here are the 32 teams that will compete in China:

2019 WORLD CUP

QUALIFIED FAILED TO QUALIFY DID NOT PARTICIPATE

AFRICA (5)
Angola
Ivory Coast
Nigeria
Senegal
Tunisia

ASIA + OCEANIA (8)
Australia
China (hosts)
Iran
Japan
Jordan
New Zealand
Philippines
South Korea

EUROPE (12)
Czech Republic
France
Germany
Greece
Italy
Lithuania
Montenegro
Poland
Russia
Serbia
Spain
Turkey

AMERICA (7)
Argentina
Brazil
Canada
Dominican Republic
Puerto Rico
United States
Venezuela

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 2:05 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Qualification for the 2019 World Cup has just wrapped up. Here are the 32 teams that will compete in China:

2019 WORLD CUP

QUALIFIED FAILED TO QUALIFY DID NOT PARTICIPATE

AFRICA (5)
Angola
Ivory Coast
Nigeria
Senegal
Tunisia

ASIA + OCEANIA (8)
Australia
China (hosts)
Iran
Japan
Jordan
New Zealand
Philippines
South Korea

EUROPE (12)
Czech Republic
France
Germany
Greece
Italy
Lithuania
Montenegro
Poland
Russia
Serbia
Spain
Turkey

AMERICA (7)
Argentina
Brazil
Canada
Dominican Republic
Puerto Rico
United States
Venezuela
I initially had not realized this was the basketball thread, so for a minute I was excited and thought this was FIFA and that Canada had qualified for the MWC! Then I saw 2019 and something didn't jive...

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 2:07 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

An example of cross-Canada marketing of the Raptors as Canada's team from this weekend.

Overheard my kids and their friends talking about how McDonald's gives out free fries if the Raptors win.

- The Raptors, who are they?

- No idea, I think they're a sports team.

- They play baseball or basketball, I think.

- Are you sure?

- Yeah, it's basketball I am pretty sure.

- Anyway, never heard of them, but I'll take the free fries!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada