HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 2:35 PM
Chicago picture-taker

The Ronsley. 676 North Kingsbury

Renovation on The Ronsley in River North. Looking great, but I wish they could have kept the water tank.

http://wp.me/p7uLxw-1Sr

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 3:50 PM

I wen't to the LondonHouse hotel rooftop this past Saturday and took some pics with my phone of the Apple Store. I highly recommend going up there! the Rooftop is open for viewing only so you can just walk in there and don't even have to spend a cent.

And an extra pic because I love this one

Last edited by tintinex; Jan 17, 2017 at 3:53 PM. Reason: added extra photo

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 1:58 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

676 N LaSalle posted neighborhood notice letters on my block today.

They state that interior demo begins this month, foundation work begins in April, main construction begins in July, and it'll be finished in October, 2018.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 10:16 PM

Just walked by the Moxy hotel at Lasalle and Grand, caissons stuff is happening.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 11:02 PM

Studio Apartment Proposal Gets Panned By Wicker Group Wary Of 'Transients'
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2017...nt-wicker-park

Go read the article. This kind of crap has to stop. These groups have no right to demand that everyone else in the city live in housing that they personally approve of, or to price anyone they label as 'undesirable' out of their neighborhood.

That said, what are the odds that Ald. Hopkins caves to their pressure?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 11:35 PM
Ω

Lincoln Park is full of studio apartment buildings and no one notices...

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 2:09 AM
The City

What these bumblefucks don't understand is that you really don't reduce density much with larger apartments. With three bedrooms you will just get 3 people sharing an apartment. Same with 2 bedrooms. All you have to do is charge a high enough rent and people will generally share.

But for sure roommates get on each other's nerves and some people would like their own place. Studios fulfill a demand without bringing an adverse demographic while hardly increasing density.

NIMBYs don't know what the hell they are talking about. I own many rentals in the city now and only about 8% are occupied by families (both in the same building in the North Park neighborhood way out of the "hip" areas of town). The other 92% are singles and childless couples rooming together. (I only have 1 apt that is less than a 2 bedroom).

Last edited by the urban politician; Jan 19, 2017 at 2:32 AM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 5:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Panera actually is shrinking left and right in Chicago. They shuttered Diversey in the last couple years, and they just abandoned their Clybourn restaurant last month. Also along that stretch of Clybourn, Moe's just closed too, although I think most people won't miss that one.
Yeesh, when I made that post I didn't realize that the Smashburger across the street also had just closed down a couple days earlier. This is bigger damage than losing some run of the mill chain fast food place. (This isn't in DNA or Eater yet but according to Yelp the date was the 9th.)

The strip malls on mid-Clybourn have such turnover, if only they could be magically consolidated into 1, so the surplus could get redeveloped into something more urban.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 3:17 PM
The City

I found this interesting:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...118-story.html

If UIC increases enrollment by 5k, that will definitely lead to more housing development and more gentrification in Pilsen

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I found this interesting:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...118-story.html

If UIC increases enrollment by 5k, that will definitely lead to more housing development and more gentrification in Pilsen
Pretty sure the Pilsen NIMBYs and Solis are on the brink of proposing the building of a wall around their neigborhood so nothing nice goes up. Helps with their Keep Pilsen Poor campaign.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Yeesh, when I made that post I didn't realize that the Smashburger across the street also had just closed down a couple days earlier. This is bigger damage than losing some run of the mill chain fast food place. (This isn't in DNA or Eater yet but according to Yelp the date was the 9th.)

The strip malls on mid-Clybourn have such turnover, if only they could be magically consolidated into 1, so the surplus could get redeveloped into something more urban.
I was sad, when I went there a few weeks ago to find it closed for good I really liked smashburger, they are one of the only fast food burger places I liked!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 12:13 AM

If anyone is on the westside can you take some pictures of United Center and Blackhawks practice facility?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 3:03 PM
devout Pizzatarian

i moved all of the el chatter to the transit thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...01657&page=538

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 2:16 PM

Permit issued for the construction of the foundation for the new Gensler designed Hospital on the Rush Medical campus - 9 stories. Address is 1950 W Polk St (Polk & ~ Damen). Currently a little field (https://www.google.com/maps/place/19...753207!6m1!1e1)

http://chicago.curbed.com/2016/8/2/1...dical-district

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 2:56 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near North Resident View Post
I was sad, when I went there a few weeks ago to find it closed for good I really liked smashburger, they are one of the only fast food burger places I liked!
Maybe its just me, but I never thought I wanted to go to Smashburger when I got a burgercrave. That's what FiveGuys is for.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Permit issued for the construction of the foundation for the new Gensler designed Hospital on the Rush Medical campus - 9 stories. Address is 1950 W Polk St (Polk & ~ Damen). Currently a little field (https://www.google.com/maps/place/19...753207!6m1!1e1)

That looks a lot like the University of Chicago North residence from one side.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post

Just clarifying your post. This is the new outpatient center for Cook County Hospital, not the new outpatient center that will be built for Rush Hospital. That should be starting this year or next, as well, however.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 3:36 AM
TL;DR

^ Yes, the apartment complex by Rush has already been cleared of all tenants and secured with fencing in preparation for demo.

I didn't realize Rush was going to clear the entire block for their outpatient center... they're moving their graduate housing to the old Malcolm X site at Jackson/Damen. The new outpatient center will put a giant parking garage on the Loomis end, which will totally wreck the character of Loomis. It's too bad, because that corner of Loomis and Congress is a good TOD spot. All the mature trees on that site will be brought down. Ugh. The only silver lining here is that we're likely to get some decent design, either from Perkins+Will or somebody else. Rush has the money to spend on good design...

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 3:59 AM

^^^ They need to invest in good design so they can trash it in a couple of decades and replace it with a parking lot like all good hospitals do!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 2:40 PM

Apple Store - January 22nd 2017

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development