HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
You HAVE to come back. And we have to meet you is Castlegar.
For sure man you first. Come out in the summer it's hot and gorgeous.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2014, 2:48 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

If anyone is interested, this is a link to a video about a couple of American surfers who came up this past summer to ride the Petitcodiac River tidal bore in Moncton NB. They set a record for the longest surfable wave (about 25 miles). This aired on ABC Nightline last week.

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/vide...river-21457618

If you ignore the "aboot" jokes, the references to moose and Mounties and the crack about the "land of endless winter", it actually isn't too bad…….

I do take some umbrage however over the fact that they seemed to feel that us unworldly Canadians had never seen a surfboard before in our lives………

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 10:09 PM
Utilisateur enregistré

Magog river

I know I posted some pictures of this river two days ago, but I just passed by it and coudn't resist.

Centrale Abénaquis, Sherbrooke by lake of the nations, on Flickr

Rivière Magog, Sherbrooke by lake of the nations, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 10:30 PM
ARTchitecture

That looks so cool. It could almost be a stand-in for the capital city of District 12!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 10:57 PM

Not sure if anyone posted anything about the change in ownership of Ottawa's former industrial lands in the Ottawa River, so I'm posting this here. Windmill Developments has bought the former pulp and paper factories known as the "Domtar Lands" (formerly Booth and E.B. Eddy holdings, recently owned by Domtar), part of the Chaudières Islands, with the intention of developing it into a mixed "green" project. It will be similar to Granville Island in Vancouver or the Distillery District in TO. It will essentially be the first waterfront development in Ottawa.

Overview (industrial area straddling the bridge on the right);

The Domtar Lands are the light red areas;

PDF of Windmill's "vision", doesn't really show much.
http://www.amo.on.ca/AMO-PDFs/Events...westeinde.aspx

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 3:42 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Not sure if anyone posted anything about the change in ownership of Ottawa's former industrial lands in the Ottawa River, so I'm posting this here. Windmill Developments has bought the former pulp and paper factories known as the "Domtar Lands" (formerly Booth and E.B. Eddy holdings, recently owned by Domtar), part of the Chaudières Islands, with the intention of developing it into a mixed "green" project. It will be similar to Granville Island in Vancouver or the Distillery District in TO. It will essentially be the first waterfront development in Ottawa.
Awesome. This could be a real centrepiece for Ottawa-Gatineau.

This land has been vacant for a while, hasn't it? (10 years?) What has been holding up redevelopment - environmental issues, Domtar, politics, all three?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Awesome. This could be a real centrepiece for Ottawa-Gatineau.

This land has been vacant for a while, hasn't it? (10 years?) What has been holding up redevelopment - environmental issues, Domtar, politics, all three?
They shut down the mills in the early-mid 2000s and I'm pretty sure a lot of other buildings were abandoned long before. It was a steady decline over many years.

What stopped the redevelopment? I would say mostly politics. Since the 1980s, the National Capital Commission has had big plans for the area but never had the resources to buy the lands. A few years back, the Feds officially killed any hope (good riddance) of the NCC buying the islands.

I'm sure environmental/historical factors (very high decontamination costs and expensive restoration of historic buildings) were at play for private companies.

Windmill still has a few issues to deal with before the sale is complete such as zoning approvals in two municipalities/provinces, dealing with the NCC who seem to think they own the land and aboriginals who think they are owed (aboriginal issues are federal jurisdiction, private companies don't owe them anything). I don't know if it will be a problem, but there is also a Hydro Québec hydroelectric plant between two Domtar land masses.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 4:27 PM

Those Magog River shots in Sherbrooke are amazing! Can't get much more urban then that, thanks!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 4:29 PM

Given the pace at which LeBreton Flats has been developing under the NCC, I see it as a blessing that a private developer has acquired these lands and not the NCC.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 12:10 AM
Closed account

The NCC has done a lot of good in Ottawa, but they have also done some pretty awful things too. It sometimes seems the only thing they are good at doing is planting lawns and flower gardens.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
If anyone is interested, this is a link to a video about a couple of American surfers who came up this past summer to ride the Petitcodiac River tidal bore in Moncton NB. They set a record for the longest surfable wave (about 25 miles). This aired on ABC Nightline last week.

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/vide...river-21457618

If you ignore the "aboot" jokes, the references to moose and Mounties and the crack about the "land of endless winter", it actually isn't too bad…….

I do take some umbrage however over the fact that they seemed to feel that us unworldly Canadians had never seen a surfboard before in our lives………
That's hilarious. They seem to have intentionally portrayed Monctonites (Monctoners? Monctonians?) as a city of slackjawed Canadians gawking cluelessly at those crazy surfers, even though I imagine everyone in town knows by now that surfing the bore is a thing. Pretty funny.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada