HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 2:24 AM
BANNED

New poll shows Conservative could achieve a majority in next election.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/a...new-poll-shows

God help us all if the Conservatives gain a majority in next election. Remember that Harper is from Alberta and is a Reform Party member at heart.
This cannot be allowed to happen. These bastards will turn the clock back 40 years if they get a majority.

Same Sex Marriage
A Woman's Right to Chose
Collective Bargaining
Union Busting.

Mark my words.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 2:52 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Funny how you chose the words God help us, if the Conservatives win. I thought in today's day and age only Conservatives still believed in God.

If you really believe that a Conservative majority will bring about changes to

Same Sex Marriage
A Woman's Right to Chose
Collective Bargaining
Union Busting.

then you sir are tie-dye wearing, pot smoking, rock and roll listening devil worshiper. I mean my logic is just as sound as yours so I must be right.

What we will get if the Conservatives win is...
Less regulation on businesses
Easier to file personal taxes
More reduction in federal government
Continued increase in transfer payments to provinces and cities
Tougher stance on crime

Other then that you probably wouldn't see any difference between them and the Liberals. But I think the Boogieman is certainly a more entertaining premises.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 2:56 AM

I'd rather not see a Conservative majority either, but that's a lot of baseless fearmongering. Overturning same-sex marriage and restricting abortion would be political suicide and Harper knows it. He may have been an ex-Reformer, but he came from the fiscally conservative wing of the party, not the religious-right bible-thumping social conservative faction that gave Reform such a bad name. I just can't see Harper pursuing those issues to any serious degree.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 3:18 AM
Website Manager

Herper is a really good PM. We should be thankful, IMHO.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 4:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Funny how you chose the words God help us, if the Conservatives win. I thought in today's day and age only Conservatives still believed in God.

If you really believe that a Conservative majority will bring about changes to

Same Sex Marriage
A Woman's Right to Chose
Collective Bargaining
Union Busting.

then you sir are tie-dye wearing, pot smoking, rock and roll listening devil worshiper. I mean my logic is just as sound as yours so I must be right.

What we will get if the Conservatives win is...
Less regulation on businesses
Easier to file personal taxes
More reduction in federal government
Continued increase in transfer payments to provinces and cities
Tougher stance on crime

Other then that you probably wouldn't see any difference between them and the Liberals. But I think the Boogieman is certainly a more entertaining premises.
Thank you Muammar Gaddafi!

You can kiss the CBC goodbye too. When you are old enough and mature enough to appreciate history and heritage. You probably shop at Walmart too. BTW Zeller's is now Target.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 4:23 AM
BANNED

Yes those things all take precident over basic human rights. Way to go!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 4:27 AM
BANNED

Keep it up Dickhead and we WILL be the 51st state

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 4:30 AM

From Alberta, say it ain't so!?!?! What's he really done for Alberta, anyways? He has to pander too much to Ontario / Quebec. As does everyone else.

lol how about none of that happening.

So you're the kind of person who shows up and fearmongers about 3000 foot supertall buildings taking away your ocean / mountain views, eh?

Also, please don't think you'll find sympathy by claiming that somehow the CBC would be gone under a majority. That'd just give him more votes.

Shouldn't someone "progressive" be against government controlled media, anyways?

I mean, Gadaffi has a state controlled media As does Lil' Kim.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 4:40 AM
Crazy as a mad hatter

-YAY for lowering the corporate taxes even more when they are already one of the lowest countries

-YAY for taxing less and spending more money(even their commercials admit to that)

-YAY for planning to buy billions upon billions of expensive fighter jets that are apparently needed to defend against what, the USSR?

-YAY for copyright legislation that will make criminals of nearly everyone

-YAY for tough on crime plan that will put drug users in jail for longer sentences costing billions/year. It didn't work in the US and they are now busily backtracking from it, and yup law and order Texas was one of the first to start reversing course.

-YAY for spending millions appealing Insite rulings all the way to the Supreme Court even though report after report shows more and more seeking treatment, not to mention overdoses are way down saving significantly on emergency services costs.

-YAY for Conservative Senators having their friends appointed to posh gov't positions

Note: that isn't to say the Liberals haven't messed up terrible prior to that by doing many of the same things. I would be saying the same thing if it was the Liberals doing it. I don't like any of the current Canadian parties.

And yes they have done some good things:
- bringing in more cell phone competition
- sending UBB back to the CRTC
- stopping the destruction of a pristine lake for Taseko Mines(who have since submitted an updated design that doesn't touch the lake)
- calling an inquiry into the fraser river salmon even though I think the focus is too narrow
- tried twice to rescue Canadians from Libya, only coming back empty both times
- maybe some more things but none come to mind

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 4:44 AM

I don't like any of the leaders, either. To believe any of them are that different is kind of naive.

But I do believe some would do more harm than others...

For now I'm quite happy that Canada is one of the only places in the World that wasn't completely ravaged by a recession.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 4:46 AM

i like having a minority government. it's the only way i think of keeping politics and decision making at the centre, where most of us are.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 4:51 AM
Crazy as a mad hatter

oh I forgot:
YAY for spending over a Billion for a 3-day G20 conference on how to rein in budget deficits... Not to mention the probable use of agents provocateurs, as I can't explain why else the cops let a few dozen "protestors" go on a rampage in downtown Toronto. Oh and mass arrests of citizens and the press, our rights be damned.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 5:05 AM
Crazy as a mad hatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
I don't like any of the leaders, either. To believe any of them are that different is kind of naive.

But I do believe some would do more harm than others...

For now I'm quite happy that Canada is one of the only places in the World that wasn't completely ravaged by a recession.
I'm happy about that too. Fortunately the Conservatives did not get a majority before the recession hit as one of their plans was to de-regulate banking to be more like the US. It has no doubt been shelved.

But all in all we need to have real transparency and accountability restored to all our politicians. I'm not advocating the complete removal of gov't secrecy as some is needed, but that secrecy needs to be strictly limited. We the public deserve to know more about what our government is doing to be sure it is acting in the best interests of Canadians and not themselves, their friends, or even their party. Government is not a contest to get re-elected but to always do what is best for the country and every individual within that country.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 5:26 AM

I'm just gonna come out and say it. I'm actually quite please to hear that they could achieve a majority next election. Maybe we can finally have a navy that doesnt have a smaller fleet then BC ferries. Also to the comment about what do we need new planes for. Well hey We may not need them but I sure as heck feel more safe knowing that if someone does attack us we dont need to worry about crap falling about and breaking down in the middle of it. plus who knows with everything going on in north korea and middle east its better to be safe then sorry.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 6:14 AM
BANNED

I love the ads the Conservatives have dragged outta the mothballs about Ignatieff not being a true Canadian. This from a Prime Minister who is the biggest US kissp-ass wannabe in history. Even when there's a Democrat in office he kisses this guys ass too. He just wants us all to be American. And as far as the Banks go...we should all remember that if the C's had had their way we would be in the same shit the Yanks are in now. I am not a fan of Ignatieff or Clayton but I sure as hell am not a fan of that fat fuck from Alberta.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 7:09 AM

Yes, please keep reminding us how compassionate, open, liberal, and loving, you are.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 7:24 AM
BANNED

you just watch and see what rights get stripped away. Just wait and see...he has been biding his time and he is gonna fool so many of us.

He has already got the majority fooled.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 7:24 AM

Vancouver forum?

But since everybody's piling on: the Tories should be realizing about now that they will never achieve a majority under Stephen Harper, and act accordingly. Negative attack ads only highlight the bankruptcy of ideas under his leadership.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 7:26 AM
BANNED

he wont get a mjority this time either....Canadians cannot be that collectively stupid except for Alberta just cuz he is from there and Ontario well, that's just cuz it's Ontario.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairbanks View Post
you just watch and see what rights get stripped away. Just wait and see...he has been biding his time and he is gonna fool so many of us.

He has already got the majority fooled.
You're starting to sound like some of the nuttier Tea Party folks. Really. This conspiracy theory stuff does a disservice to political discussion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics