HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Impact sucks!!!

Seems like they've run out of gas. The Champions League and the MLS games are just too much. Plus the players we acquired (Bernardello and Lopez) for EXACTLY this purpose are injured.
Wait! Vancouver beat Montreal?!?!? 3-0?? Wow. You guys were way better than us all year! What happened??

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 6:17 PM

For the first time in MLS, Vancouver beat its biggest and closest rival in their own building. The team with the largest crowds in the league. And Vancouver got their first hat trick. And it was a must win.
Vancouver 4 Seattle 1!!!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 9:58 PM

Got my tickets for Montreal vs New England on Saturday!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 3:09 AM
Go Chiefs!

The most important game in Impact's history is this Saturday!!!

Last game of the season, we can qualify for the playoffs even if we lose but a win guarantees us a place in the playoffs.

Also Marco Di Vaio has a chance to win the Golden Boot.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 5:49 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Another great piece of news: Orlando approved the funds for the new stadium, looks like Orlando FC will be the next MLS franchise! 3 more franchises to come...

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 3:43 AM
Go Chiefs!

Schallibaum putting Wandrille Lefevre for the most important game of the season was the difference maker.

How on earth can a coach put such crappy player on the field at the MLS level? This guy is not even NASL caliber for Christ sakes. I'm all for homegrown players from the academy but this is ridiculous. The guy can't play soccer.

Of course it was him that made the mistake on Toronto's goal. Hopefully we miss the playoffs so we don't embarass ourselves to the rest of the MLS anymore. They will see players like Lefevre and just laugh at us.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 10:20 PM
Go Chiefs!

Shittt... NY scores and the Montreal Impact are 30 minutes away from playoffs.

No sure how I feel though.

EDIT: 3-1 NYR right now... We're most likely in even though we don't deserve it.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 12:36 AM

Congrats Montreal on your first playoffs and second Canadian team to make it!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 2:25 AM

Camillo gets a hat trick and wins the Golden Boot for most goals in the league!!!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 12:28 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Camillo gets a hat trick and wins the Golden Boot for most goals in the league!!!
Man, I loved that eh. It was Camillo's to take, and he stepped up to do it. A tall order to. He needed 2 goals to tie Magee (although he would have won on tie-breaker) but he stepped up and made it a clear cut victory. Props to Camillo. Rough night all around for Chicago but I think they are going to be a very competitive team next year. I really hope Magee still gets MVP, despite his team not making the playoffs. I think they'd be there if he had come over a game or two earlier. He was a complete difference maker, one of my favourite stories of 2013.

One of my least favourite stories though is the Impact. Boy did they limp into the playoff picture in embarrassing fashion. It's painful to watch as a fan. After such a fantastic start to the season, they completely blew it from July onward. Honestly, I've enjoyed watching TFC more this fall than the Impact. TFC have been exciting to watch as they battle. Even if they lose, the games are always close, and I walk away feeling like they could have won it if one or two things had gone differently. The Impact have been a very Jekyll and Hyde team, and it has kind of been painful to witness.

That said, I hope they pull up their socks and do well. Not only would I like to see a Canadian team make it to the Conference Semis, but I think Montreal vs SKC would be the most exciting Conference final imaginable given the tension and heat between those two teams this season. That is something I want to see!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 3:21 AM

Very bad game by the Impact tonight..Anyways hope TFC will do better next year. Apparently, they want to spend $20 millions and more on DPs.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 AM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Hopefully we miss the playoffs so we don't embarass ourselves to the rest of the MLS anymore.
Well... they just did that... they lost 3-0 and had 3 red cards!!!

Congrats Impact for this BRUTAL, BRUTAL, BRUTAL season. Fucking bunch of losers!
I won't even bother watching them next year if they don't improve DRAMATICALLY (and make HUGE changes).

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 9:33 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Massive additions to TFC, almost overnight they have 4 top players (including 3 top internationals from UK, Italian and Brazilian leagues) added to Toronto's 2014 roster. MLSE is dropping $100 million for Defoe and Bradley alone, the 2 biggest signings (by salary) in MLS history:

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2...oronto-fc-mls/

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2...broke-twitter/

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 9:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Massive additions to TFC, almost overnight they have 4 top players (including 3 top internationals from UK, Italian and Brazilian leagues) added to Toronto's 2014 roster. MLSE is dropping $100 million for Defoe and Bradley alone, the 2 biggest signings (by salary) in MLS history:

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2...oronto-fc-mls/

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2...broke-twitter/
I don't follow soccer at all, but if these players were top UK players...what would they be doing signing with MLS? Wouldn't that be like top MLB players signing to play in Japan?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 5:46 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by GernB View Post
I don't follow soccer at all, but if these players were top UK players...what would they be doing signing with MLS? Wouldn't that be like top MLB players signing to play in Japan?
A lot of the details are fleshed out in the articles, but in a nutshell, 'exposure':

Defoe and Bradley are on their countries Men's National Teams (UK and USA). National team membership is based on merit and in order to play more next year they need to get lots of play time in their division teams. AS Roma is the 2nd best team in the Italian Series A league and they recently purchased a couple top players in their own $100 million+ deal, having to share the field with 3 other top players has meant Bradley has less exposure than he would in a lesser team.

With this deal, Bradley gets to start every game for a whole season and earns a better salary. He also stays close to his hometown in New Jersey. In Defoe's case, money and apparently Drake courting him, sealed the deal (Drake is MLSE's brand ambassador). Capturing Defoe (UK Men's National Team) was considered a massive coup as well since he's the most popular striker in the 1st division Tottenham Hotspurs, a lot of fans there are going to the MLS Forums stating they're following/supporting TFC now that he's made the switch.

De Rosario (MLS's top point scorer) and Gillardino (one of the best strikers in the Brazilian league and a very young player with his best days ahead) have also joined TFC in the past week and a half, now that they see the callibre of players being pulled in. De Rosario even agreed to a pay cut to join this year's team.

These guys don't have the marquee names of Messi or Ronaldo, but they play as well or better than David Beckham or Theirry Henry did when they joined MLS. This is considered by many pundits to be the biggest coup for MLS since Clint Dempsey was signed by Seattle earlier this year. That top players in Europe at the peak of their careers are jumping to MLS is a strong indicator of the health of this league.

Last edited by mistercorporate; Jan 9, 2014 at 6:01 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 6:21 PM

Not to cherry pick - but Defoe plays for the English national team - there is no UK team

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 8:53 PM

Seems like big news. Perhaps I'll watch some TFC games this year.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 11:08 PM

Yep Toronto better be good this year. What's happening with Montreal? How come Joey Saputo is so quiet in this off season?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 12:50 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Toronto looks to be picking up the Brazilian National Team keeper.

Honestly, I can't stop drooling about TFC this year. With my parents now living in Toronto, I've become more and more of a TFC fan. I've already planned like three trips to visit them this year based on when Toronto is playing at home, haha.

Toronto is going to be beastly this year. Even if they only have Cesar for half the season like they are suggesting, that will still be a monster in net. I will be very surprised if Toronto doesn't start the season strongly. While these guys will undoubtedly have to mesh, they MUST be riding a bit of a high and feeling great about how they are shaping up.

I like Ryan Nelson a lot, and I think the players respect him. He has been handed a phenomenal squad. It's on him now to make it work.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada