HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 5:11 PM

Looking at that graph makes me very curious about the other cities. Like why did Sacramento drop off so drastically? Or why does St. Louis have a gap in their report? (I didn't know St. Louis had a system). And what caused the huge dip for Denver?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 5:43 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I will be curious to see the Trax numbers increase when Front Runner South opens. I'm guessing it will be somewhat substantial, I would say a conservative estimate of increased Trax riders would be at least 50% of Front Runner south numbers.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 5:52 PM

Is frontrunner factored into the numbers on the graph?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 5:56 PM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
Is frontrunner factored into the numbers on the graph?
I believe Future Mayor was referring to those that will transfer from Frontrunner. Not the actual riders on Fruntrunner.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 5:57 PM

Ah, I understand. Thanks.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
Looking at that graph makes me very curious about the other cities. Like why did Sacramento drop off so drastically? Or why does St. Louis have a gap in their report? (I didn't know St. Louis had a system). And what caused the huge dip for Denver?
Good questions. Sacramento's system has suffered as a result of California's fiscal situation, and endured a series of big cuts in June 2010 (you'll notice a big drop in ridership after the 2nd quarter in 2010). As a result, service ended three hours earlier at night (from 1 a.m. to 10 p.m.) and weekend service was cut nearly in half.

St Louis had to close two major highways downtown for construction work in 2008 and 2009. This shifted a lot of commuters to light rail. One highway reopened in December 2008 and the other in November 2009 (you'll notice big drops after the 4th quarters of 08 and 09).

Denver is harder to explain, but it looks like it might be a data error in that its such an outlier from its other ridership numbers.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 10:07 PM
Urban Planning Proselyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smuttynose1 View Post
Denver is harder to explain, but it looks like it might be a data error in that its such an outlier from its other ridership numbers.
I posted your graph in the main transit section thread for the 4th quarter APTA numbers, and this was the feedback that it got:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyderBock View Post
That big dip in Denver's 3Q 2010 numbers, was actually misreported by the APTA. APTA reported Denver as only averaging 41,000 weekday riders, when in fact the correct ridership was 61,000. It was off by exactly 20,000 weekday riders. That one quarter dip in ridership, did not occur.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 1:49 PM
West bench livin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smuttynose1 View Post
Good questions. Sacramento's system has suffered as a result of California's fiscal situation, and endured a series of big cuts in June 2010 (you'll notice a big drop in ridership after the 2nd quarter in 2010). As a result, service ended three hours earlier at night (from 1 a.m. to 10 p.m.) and weekend service was cut nearly in half.

St Louis had to close two major highways downtown for construction work in 2008 and 2009. This shifted a lot of commuters to light rail. One highway reopened in December 2008 and the other in November 2009 (you'll notice big drops after the 4th quarters of 08 and 09).

It's all my fault... A former Sacramentan and lightrail rider, I moved here in late 2009, thus the drop. Seriously though, the stats do not surprise me. In amongst all the fiscal angst going on in Sacramento and California in general Sacramento's RT has taken a big hit over the last couple of years that coincided with multiple rate hikes in fares. Now that fuel prices are shooting up again with no relief in site (especially with California's costly mandated refined cocktail gas) you'll see an exodus back to light rail usage... especially with state workers who get a discounted (not free like here in Utah) pass.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 10:00 PM

Yesterday I was up on the 8th floor of LDS Business College looking at the Airport TRAX construction on 400 West. I realized that I could see the airport line running all the way down North Temple. I was just thinking about how cool it will be to be able to sit in a class on the 7th or 8th floor and watch trains come in almost all the way from the airport. You can already see the trains going from Arena to Planetarium and the Frontrunner trains from Ogden.
My point is, I think this area is going to be more lively then it was even a couple years ago. It will be a good part of town for new students from out of state to be exposed to, I think. I'm guessing it's probubly one of the most transit frendly couple of blocks in this part of the country. The gateway will be served by 4 TRAX stations and a commuter rail station, in addition to all the buses comming in on North Temple and from Davis County on 300 West. I hope that in the future we can get a light rail line running into south Davis county and maybe a street car line running the full length of South Temple.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 10:41 PM

Thumbs down

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=1975...&s_cid=queue-8

^ Another idiot runs a red light and gets hit by Trax.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 12:56 AM

Will the UTA be forced to reduce service further due to the astronomical costs of repairing these trains?

Will ridership grow more slowly due to the nasty publicity of every single incident?

Will motorists who pull off these rinkydink stunts be held liable for the entire cost of repairing the train?

Will it be more than a week until another one of these incidents happens?

Will any newspapers do follow-up stories for all of the incidents that have happened in the past year to see what the driver of the offending car has to say about the matter? Or what the drivers' punishments were?

Glad I got that off my chest, folks.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 1:05 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

If the police investigate the accident and find out that it is the car drivers fault, which in nearly every case, (I'm sure there is one or two out there over the entire history of Trax that are UTA's fault) I think the drivers insurance company should be liable for damages to the train vehicles. Does anyone know if they are, or does UTA aka us tax payers end up footing the repair bill.

I also wish the newspapers would do follow up stories, but ones that show how much the insurance claim was on the drivers insurance. Obviously safety and the risk of death or serious injury isn't enough, maybe an astronomical insurance bill and subsequent rate hike will scare people into being just slightly less idiotic.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 3:30 AM
farmerboy

I'm surprised these incidents are even newsworthy at this point. There have been what 50 plus collisions this year?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraperdude801 View Post
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=1975...&s_cid=queue-8

^ Another idiot runs a red light and gets hit by Trax.
Is this why my train is already 8 min. Late?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 3:34 AM
The Drifter

The KSL article stated its the 9th car vs train so far this year. then there is the 1 or 2 pedestrian accidents as well.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 4:05 PM
Development Junkie

Maybe UTA should "advertise" what the average cost is to a driver's insurance company if they are found liable for damage to the trains.

That PSA may just help make drivers think twice about "beating the train."

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 4:16 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr View Post
Maybe UTA should "advertise" what the average cost is to a driver's insurance company if they are found liable for damage to the trains.

That PSA may just help make drivers think twice about "beating the train."
I can see it now. "Trying to beat the train? Try explaining an $80,000 claim as you shop for new insurance!"

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 4:21 PM
The Drifter

It might be best to get testimonials from those that were stupid enough to have already done it. Not like its hard to find enough of those. Have them get on TV and say how much it ended up costing them and if they are having problems getting insured and how much their insurance costs now versus before.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 5:38 PM

I was talking with a friend at UTA about this exact thing last night. UTA will file a claim with their insurance if they are at fault, which they usually are, if their liability isn't high enough they will personally sue to collect the fees. Generally, vehicles vs. automobile collisions do not cause much material damage to the trains. It's usually just bumps and scrapes.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 7:32 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Just dropping in to give SLC some praise. I discovered that your bus map is color-coded to show bus frequencies, and think it is a freaking fabulous idea. I've been showing it to all sorts of people.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West