HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 2:45 PM
devout Pizzatarian

thanks for the compliments everyone, i'm glad you all enjoyed seeing these rarely glimpsed areas of the river outside of the downtown core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
Wow, 11 miles. I did the Sunset architecture tour through kayak chicago this past spring. I think that was around 5 miles... I was sore for a week.
yeah, i'm still a little sore even this morning. paddling upstream for 11 miles is quite a workout. but it's fun too, so without the work, you don't get the reward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
I just got off a charter, and we went up the north branch all the way to Diversey. I might throw and image in here of it if that's cool.
hell yeah, post away with any river pics you got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
Meh, if you paddle the Calumet, then I'll be impressed.
is that an official challenge?

i would love to paddle the calumet river (the heavy industry down there makes the north branch look like a national park wilderness by comparison), but i don't know about put-ins down there and how i might access them via public transit (i don't own a car)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn View Post
How much do those foldable kayaks cost?
too much. my little boat is the Citibot, made by a company called Folbot. it's one of the cheapest folding kayaks on the market, and even then it was still $1,100. and they only get more expensive from there. some of the expedition grade folding kayaks from companies like Klepper and Feathercraft cost over $4,000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
Thanks, that really helped. So, the West Fork originated in Mud Lake? Do you happen to know at what modern location it would have entered Mud Lake (i.e. how far west of where it split off from the original river)?
here's a good read on the history of the chicago portage: http://www.chicagoportage.org/synopsis.htm

as for the location of mud lake, it seems as though it was just east of Harlem avenue in the present day suburb of Stickney.

just an FYI, i will also be doing a similar tour of the south branch of the river at some point as well. if the weather cooperates, i hope to do another marathon paddle the weekend after next, but if it's too cold, it may have to wait until spring. we'll see.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 2:52 PM
BANNED

Wow what a nice personalized tour Dan. I like the narrative for each photo. I know that can be tedious and repetitive at times but it really helps for the people new to this river photo thread.

We appreciate you very significant contribution to the Photo thread on parts of the river that is often neglected.

I especially like the picks after number 23 and all to the end.

I cannot wait until you take a trek on the south branch.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 2:58 PM

Great tour of a cool waterway. I always find it interesting to see how the same river can look completely different over the course of a few miles as it enters and exits urban areas.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 3:02 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
is that an official challenge?

i would love to paddle the calumet river (the heavy industry down there makes the north branch look like a national park wilderness by comparison), but i don't know about put-ins down there and how i might access them via public transit (i don't own a car)
Yeah, if you're not man enough, you can do the Little Calumet.

Actually, you can get to the mouth pretty quickly via transit just by taking the Metra Electric (IC) down to the station in South Chicago at 93rd Street. It's just about 1/2 mile from there. But I really don't recommend that you do this before you check it out in person. There are still some seriously heavy barges and other floating mysteries that travel those waters. Maybe on a weekend.

If you've never really checked out that area, it's pretty damn cool and worth going to anyway, probably with a car though.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 3:04 PM
tilted & shifted

This was really interesting to look through. You give Geoffrey Baer from PBS a run for his money. I can't wait to see your tour of the South Branch.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 3:06 PM
Senior Bezerkeleyite

Great way to see the city, thanks for the wonderful tour

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 4:06 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
Actually, you can get to the mouth pretty quickly via transit just by taking the Metra Electric (IC) down to the station in South Chicago at 93rd Street. It's just about 1/2 mile from there. But I really don't recommend that you do this before you check it out in person. There are still some seriously heavy barges and other floating mysteries that travel those waters. Maybe on a weekend.
ahhh, i forgot about the south shore branch of metra electric. the 93rd street station at the end of the line would put me within hiking distance of the public boat ramp over at 95th street and the lake, from which i could cut north through calumet harbor and access the calumet river mouth. i could paddle all the way into lake calumet without have to navigate any locks or dams. there are some truly huge lake freighters that still use that waterway though, it's still a bona fide working river, so it's a bit intimidating.

now i'm seriously intrigued about a calumet river paddle. that's probably a trip for next spring though; something to look forward to. i'm also planning to take my kayak on amtrak up to milwaukee next spring and do a paddling adventure along the milwaukee river system, which includes the milwaukee, menomonee, and kinnickinnic rivers. there's a public put-in only a couple of blocks east of the downtown milwaukee amtrak station in the historic 3rd ward area. urban paddling kicks so much ass. this folding kayak is one of the best things i've ever purchased.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 20, 2008 at 5:32 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 4:21 PM

The only thing that could have made this a more hardcore method of visiting a friend is if you had puddled upstream with a broken arm.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 5:21 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Now this is a tour. Fascinating, unique and beautiful. Awesome shots, Dan. Thanks for sharing your wonderful day with us.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 5:35 PM

Amazing trip. I'm glad that Chicago has stopped turning it's back on the river. I have always wondered why a commuter boat doesn't run on the canal along the Stevenson Expressway, and on into downtown via the south branch. It seems like it would be a lot less stressful than driving.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 5:36 PM

Sounds like a fun trip. . . great photos!!!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 5:59 PM
Honored Member

what a great boat ride that must have been

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 9:19 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaChicago View Post
I have always wondered why a commuter boat doesn't run on the canal along the Stevenson Expressway, and on into downtown via the south branch. It seems like it would be a lot less stressful than driving.
well, there are water taxis on the river in the downtown area that ferry commuters and other visitors between the train stations in the west loop and other points on the main branch like the michigan avenue bridge and over by navy pier. but i think the reason you don't see long distance commuter ferries on the river is because the river is a no wake zone, so boat speed is severely limited, which would make longer distance commutes on the river impractical from a time standpoint for most people.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 11:09 PM
THAT Guy

Pretty unique and awesome tour. I'm guessing this wasn't a formal party, or did you paddle in a suit and tie, which would be even cooler

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 11:13 PM

Bravo, Bravo, Bravo.....

Old Posted Oct 21, 2008, 12:01 AM
"the irish-mexican"

Thanks for the wonderful tour! Very interesting.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2008, 12:05 AM

Man you are a real inspiration, kayak via public !

Why didn't you put in at Marina Towers ?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2008, 1:32 AM

It is amazing how bucolic the river gets on the far north side, often invisible for those who cross it on major streets and don't get a peak at neighborhoods that border it.

great shots throughout. Did you ever consider doing the south branch too?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2008, 3:24 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Why didn't you put in at Marina Towers ?
The docks at marina city are about 5' out of the water, which is much too high to get into my little kayak from. The launch dock over by LSD is a floating pier and thus is only a foot above the water, which is perfect.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2008, 3:35 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
great shots throughout. Did you ever consider doing the south branch too?
Yeah, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm planning to do the south branch in two weeks, weather permitting. If the weather doesn't cooperate, it may have to wait until spring.

I also have plans to do the same for Milwaukee, the calumet river, and the fox river.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos