Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Epp?
Lots of Epps in K-W too.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 11:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The most common surname in Moncton (by far) is LeBlanc, probably 5-6 pages in the phone book (I can't check at present as I am in Washington DC). About half the LeBlanc's however (including the current mayor) have become completely anglicized.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1gray View Post
Northern Nova Scotia it is anything with a Mc or Mac (Mcdonald, MacIssac, Mackay, etc.)
Don't forget Chisholm, Smith and within the Acadien community Doiron is popular.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 3:48 AM
Starring as himself

In Manitoba you have the Orkney names that are now mostly (but not exclusively) possessed by the native descendants of fur traders: Spence, Isbister, Kirkness, Foubister, Inkster and others. When I was in Orkney it felt a little surreal to see these names everywhere.

Other common ones would be all the Mennonite names, which are everywhere, and the relatively few high-frequency Ukrainian names (Boyko, Kowalchuk) as well as the Icelandic names (Sigurdson).

Checking the Montreal francophone top names in Winnipeg via Canada411 you get:

Tremblay - 35 (doesn't surprise me; you don't hear this one very often in Winnipeg)
Gagnon - 66
Roy - 111 (maybe not all French-derived)
Côté - 47
Gauthier - 111
Bouchard - 61
Morin - 56
Leblanc - 55

I was trying to think of what the really common franco-Manitoban surnames are, besides these -- two that come to mind are Carrière (129) and Ducharme (94). Hébert (62), Lemoine (40), Girard (38) and Meilleur (30) are others. I'm sure I've forgotten some.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 3:56 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
In Manitoba you have the Orkney names that are now mostly (but not exclusively) possessed by the native descendants of fur traders: Spence, Isbister, Kirkness, Foubister, Inkster and others. When I was in Orkney it felt a little surreal to see these names everywhere.

Other common ones would be all the Mennonite names, which are everywhere, and the relatively few high-frequency Ukrainian names (Boyko, Kowalchuk) as well as the Icelandic names (Sigurdson).

Checking the Montreal francophone top names in Winnipeg via Canada411 you get:

Tremblay - 35 (doesn't surprise me; you don't hear this one very often in Winnipeg)
Gagnon - 66
Roy - 111 (maybe not all French-derived)
Côté - 47
Gauthier - 111
Bouchard - 61
Morin - 56
Leblanc - 55

I was trying to think of what the really common franco-Manitoban surnames are, besides these -- two that come to mind are Carrière (129) and Ducharme (94). Hébert (62), Lemoine (40), Girard (38) and Meilleur (30) are others. I'm sure I've forgotten some.
Labossière?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 4:46 AM
Starring as himself

94 Labossière, so yes, although not one that would have occurred to me. I guess there weren't any in my elementary school. Only 21 of them in Montreal.

90 Fontaine (that's more characteristically Métis than some of the others, I believe), also 52 Nault and 56 Allard. Parisien (23) is another distinctively Manitoba one. Montreal only shows 40 of them.

Last edited by Andy6; Sep 22, 2012 at 5:36 AM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 4:52 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Judging from among the 10,000+ students I've had at the U of C over the last 13 years, the most common surnames in Calgary are Wong, Nguyen and Dhaliwal. I would be surprised if more than half of the most common surnames in Calgary are any stripe of European.

I had six Dhaliwals in my intro soc class a couple of years ago. I had one Johnson, no Smiths at all.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 5:45 PM
I am a typical

No Singhs?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 6:07 PM

In the Windsor region there's alot of Meloche, Ouellette, Parent, Marentette, Lauzon. (These coincide with the street names in town since the streets were named after the family that owned the long narrow piece of land that said street now occupies). Windsor was originally a French settlement which accounts for all the French names.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 11:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Judging from among the 10,000+ students I've had at the U of C over the last 13 years, the most common surnames in Calgary are Wong, Nguyen and Dhaliwal. I would be surprised if more than half of the most common surnames in Calgary are any stripe of European.

I had six Dhaliwals in my intro soc class a couple of years ago. I had one Johnson, no Smiths at all.
This is a reflection of a particular sub-group in society.

There is no way that non-European surnames are *that* dominant in Calgary.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
This is a reflection of a particular sub-group in society.

There is no way that non-European surnames are *that* dominant in Calgary.
Want to bet? Calgary has never been dominated by one or two European cultures and has always been transient so families fragment. I'm putting my money on Nguyen as the most common.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 1:00 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Want to bet? Calgary has never been dominated by one or two European cultures and has always been transient so families fragment. I'm putting my money on Nguyen as the most common.
Some of you guys are way too drunk on multiculti kool-aid.

http://allaboutcities.ca/comparing-c...ough-surnames/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/na...-surnames.html

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 1:03 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I was going through the St. John's phone book to see which names spanned several pages and none really do.

However... there is, and I am not joking, a person with the surname Getawashby.

"Get a wash, b'y!"... really?

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Sep 23, 2012 at 1:19 PM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 3:53 PM
I am a typical

I'm kind of surprised at how common Anderson is. Anders must have been a horny fucker.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 4:04 PM

Quote:
2007 is a long time ago by Calgary standards.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 5:19 PM
I am a typical

Yes, everyone remembers the wave of 55,000 Nguyens who flooded Calgary in 2010, and that was followed shortly after by the Smith-Johnson-Anderson massacre which saw 10,000 people with those last names systematically annihilated by arsenic-tainted pho. To this day, Calgary has no white people and is a bastion of ethnic diversity (except for the lack of white people but they don't have any cultures anyway).

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 1:26 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Yes, everyone remembers the wave of 55,000 Nguyens who flooded Calgary in 2010, and that was followed shortly after by the Smith-Johnson-Anderson massacre which saw 10,000 people with those last names systematically annihilated by arsenic-tainted pho. To this day, Calgary has no white people and is a bastion of ethnic diversity (except for the lack of white people but they don't have any cultures anyway).
Je t'aime vid.

Seriously though, I think the surnames for Montreal (quite predominantly French Canadian) really show how established populations have a lot of staying power. Even Toronto and Vancouver, though very mixed, still have a lot of traditional anglo names in their top 10s.

For Calgary being mainly non-European in surnames, we'll talk in 20 years maybe.

Last edited by Acajack; Sep 24, 2012 at 12:40 PM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 1:33 AM
I am a typical

You can't expect it to happen overnight. There are so many Smiths and Johnsons because they've been living here for over 100 years. The original Smith couple probably have 6 to 10 kids, each of them had 6 to 10 kids, who had 6 to 10 kids, and those kids probably had at least 2 each, and we're 6, 7, 8 generations in. The Nguyen's just moved here and have two kids.

Rusty is only seeing so many Asian students because he a university professor. Most of the people I know at LU are Asian, too. When I was at University of Manitoba on Tuesday, I also saw lots of Asian people there. Gee, I guess Universities in Canada have a lot of Asian students?

They're not even permanent residents, they're just here to learn. Most of the students at Con College's flight school in Thunder Bay are Asian. Every year, a city in Taiwan sends a dozen of them to attend as part of some sort of agreement. And that Turkish guy that stole the plane and flew to Missouri a few years ago, he was a student there too.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 1:40 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
In the Windsor region there's alot of Meloche, Ouellette, Parent, Marentette, Lauzon. (These coincide with the street names in town since the streets were named after the family that owned the long narrow piece of land that said street now occupies). Windsor was originally a French settlement which accounts for all the French names.
Marentette... that one is virtually nowhere to be found in other francophone parts of Canada.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 1:43 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

French is a very common surname in St. John's, but they're all anglophones.

Barbour is also fairly common, and some of them are still francophone.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada