HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Oh I wasn’t trying to completely single Calgary out, it is just by far the Prarie city that I have the most personal experience with.

There is nothing wrong with reserving some ROW for future highway expansion, but many of the roads there do this to an excessive degree that does work against good urbanism, but I wasn’t blaming this factor for the poor suburban realm. In all honesty it is just a symptom of it IMO.
For the record, I won't be offended if you single out Calgary for it's ugly suburbs, because they objectively are. The materials used are the main culprit, but it's also a harder place to beautify when there are no natural trees to hide the ugly - it's just all there out in the open.

As for the ROW, I wouldn't say it's a symptom or a cause, just unrelated - if it was Stoney NW you took. Most people here are pretty happy the province built a road that is capable of handling the traffic through there effectively indefinitely while leaving room for other utilities and not hindering future generations with having to squeeze in roads elsewhere. It's true that the suburbia up there is exceptionally ugly, but whatever, they are happy in their shitty suburbs and I'd rather energy was spent making our nice inner city communities nicer, while still maintaining affordability.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 1:36 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Trees are the best way to gussy up any fugly suburban areas. Sadly years are needed for spindly sticks to turn into mature trees. Plus, with the awful Canadian winters, there is only decent foliage 4-5 months of the year (if that). They should plant more coniferous trees.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Trees are the best way to gussy up any fugly suburban areas. Sadly years are needed for spindly sticks to turn into mature trees. Plus, with the awful Canadian winters, there is only decent foliage 4-5 months of the year (if that). They should plant more coniferous trees.
I would argue that this is less of a problem for Vancouver & Victoria than it is for the rest of the country. (Earlier spring, late first freeze, in general wider variety that can be planted (including a decent selection of broadleaf evergreens), decently rapid growth (especially compared to our colder large cities)).

I would also give the milder parts of the BC interior and Southern Ontario somewhat of a pass on this as well.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 2:55 PM

I think Calgary, especially in the W and NW tends to have an overwhelming suburban-ness that accentuates the suburban expanse more than other Canadian cities when you are passing through. The rolling topography really makes the suburbs seem incredibly vast because you can see them all around you. There spots along Stoney Trail in Calgary where you can't see the "city" at all and its just appears to be an endless expanse of suburbia on hills. It's something that strikes me every time not necessarily in soul-sucking way more just fascinating.

I don't think Edmonton has nicer/less suburban growth, but there are fewer opportunities to be able to see the expanse. The few hills substantial enough to provide any sort of view in suburban Edmonton are in the middle of neighbourhoods in places that nobody goes, and typically covered in enough trees that its hard to get a good view anyways.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 3:53 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciudad_del_norte View Post
I think Calgary, especially in the W and NW tends to have an overwhelming suburban-ness that accentuates the suburban expanse more than other Canadian cities when you are passing through. The rolling topography really makes the suburbs seem incredibly vast because you can see them all around you. There spots along Stoney Trail in Calgary where you can't see the "city" at all and its just appears to be an endless expanse of suburbia on hills. It's something that strikes me every time not necessarily in soul-sucking way more just fascinating.

I don't think Edmonton has nicer/less suburban growth, but there are fewer opportunities to be able to see the expanse. The few hills substantial enough to provide any sort of view in suburban Edmonton are in the middle of neighbourhoods in places that nobody goes, and typically covered in enough trees that its hard to get a good view anyways.
There is truth to this. The absolute worst is everything in the north along the bottom of Nose Hill. It's particularly bleak and treeless on the East side by the airport.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 3:56 PM
Fake News

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 4:23 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
So essentially, they have a postage stamp front yard which is really the de facto back yard (note BBQs out front). Sorry, not my cup of tea.......

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 4:34 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
At least, in most cities, they are out by the airport. Regina builds them downtown:

Wingate

and in the warehouse district....look at all the great parking in front...
Four Points

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 4:59 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
At least, in most cities, they are out by the airport. Regina builds them downtown:

Wingate

and in the warehouse district....look at all the great parking in front...
Four Points
Gross.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 6:46 PM

Quote:

Who stays in them? There is no worse impression that you can get of a city than by staying near its' airport.
People who need to catch a flight in the morning, people on business trips or traveling on the highway to other destinations. I doubt people stay there if their intention is to visit the area.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 6:55 PM
Majestic

Quote:
I've stayed at the Renaissance at the Leduc Airport (I kid), and YMMV on it aesthetically, but it is directly connected to the terminal and was pretty convenient for hosting a wedding with family members flying from across the country.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...airport-hotel/

Flickr

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 7:17 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
I've stayed at the Renaissance at the Leduc Airport (I kid), and YMMV on it aesthetically, but it is directly connected to the terminal and was pretty convenient for hosting a wedding with family members flying from across the country.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...airport-hotel/
That actually looks like a nice hotel. The Marriott attached to YYC’s airport looks decent too. Many of the ones in the adjacent industrial parks just north of the airport are truly awful though.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 2:35 PM

Try and beat these!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 5:48 PM

Milton is arguably the most soul sucking suburb I've been to. But that's based on one part of Milton. That top pic sums it up.

There are basically three Miltons:

Old Milton - Old neighbourhoods sprouting out from DT Milton, which is very average and not exactly charming. But not ghetto either. Old Milton is mature and lacks charm and character. Nearby Georgetown's DT is more charming and Acton's has more character.

Suburban Milton - Thousands upon thousands of tract housing Mattamy subdivisions. This is where most people live and has been built up in the last 15 years or so and is constantly spreading.

Lots of people from Mississauga and Oakville bought their first houses here when they were new and cheap. These neighbourhoods and mind-numbingly suburban and soulless. Same goes for their retail.

Rural Milton - What I love about Milton. Geographically is big and most people don't realize they're in Milton when driving through these places. The borders are almost arbitrary but technically it's Milton even though it's the complete opposite of the Milton most people think of.

This is where there are lakes, streams and the Escarpment. Curvy, up and down roads that are a pleasure to drive on. Home to several fishing spots, bike routes, skiing and hiking and even horse racing at Mohawk. And some primo golf courses too.

Many, many estates and mansions in this rural area and normal sized houses, but built in country style architecture that I'd love to live in around Lower Base Line.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Milton is arguably the most soul sucking suburb I've been to. But that's based on one part of Milton. That top pic sums it up.

There are basically three Miltons:

Old Milton - Old neighbourhoods sprouting out from DT Milton, which is very average and not exactly charming. But not ghetto either. Old Milton is mature and lacks charm and character. Nearby Georgetown's DT is more charming and Acton's has more character.

Suburban Milton - Thousands upon thousands of tract housing Mattamy subdivisions. This is where most people live and has been built up in the last 15 years or so and is constantly spreading.

Lots of people from Mississauga and Oakville bought their first houses here when they were new and cheap. These neighbourhoods and mind-numbingly suburban and soulless. Same goes for their retail.

Rural Milton - What I love about Milton. Geographically is big and most people don't realize they're in Milton when driving through these places. The borders are almost arbitrary but technically it's Milton even though it's the complete opposite of the Milton most people think of.

This is where there are lakes, streams and the Escarpment. Curvy, up and down roads that are a pleasure to drive on. Home to several fishing spots, bike routes, skiing and hiking and even horse racing at Mohawk. And some primo golf courses too.

Many, many estates and mansions in this rural area and normal sized houses, but built in country style architecture that I'd love to live in around Lower Base Line.
Vaughan is worse!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 6:12 PM

I have a soft spot for that theatre. It reminds me of my late teens. I think it was one of Toronto's first new Mega Theatres that started the mega theatre boom across town.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
I have a soft spot for that theatre. It reminds me of my late teens. I think it was one of Toronto's first new Mega Theatres that started the mega theatre boom across town.
I too have a soft spot for the Colossus. Lots of memories there from when I was a kid.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
I too have a soft spot for the Colossus. Lots of memories there from when I was a kid.
I watched the latest Star Wars there .

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 6:40 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanford1 View Post
These will be the first targets when the aliens come.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 6:53 PM

I've spent much time in Vaughan due to one of my best friends living there and playing lots of soccer there. I far prefer the suburban part of Vaughan to that of Milton's, because it feels more interesting to me. Milton's is of zero interest to me. My cousin and another good friend and others I know live right smack dab in the middle of Milton's suburbia and it's annoying how monotonous it gets. My friend's place in Vaughan and a couple of parties I've been to on other streets don't feel as lifeless to Milton's "neighbourhoods" if I can even call them that.

Now if I had to choose between the two to live in, I'd pick Milton only because I prefer the west and its proximity to nature. Living right smack dab in the middle of either's tract housing is kind of a lose lose situation, so gotta look at the other aspects.

For Vaughan, if I could bypass Woodbridge and Maple and live in Kleinburg or another rural part of its boundaries, then ya sure.

Should point out that I seriously considered a house in Milton five years ago. Would have gotten four bedrooms instead of the three I have in Oakville, but back then I felt just the way I do now. Plus the GO train from Milton was and maybe still is one hour to Union. No express trains due to CN or whatever owning the tracks there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada