HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     
Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #721  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 10:15 PM
eixample eixample is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 274
Since this isn't really in the center of a neighborhood and not near transit, this store will tilt more towards car usage than many other big new grocery stores like the Whole Foods in Fairmount and Sprouts at Broad and Washington. I'd rather we get more of those heirloom markets than this kind of grocery.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #722  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 11:20 PM
iheartphilly's Avatar
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Philly Rising Up!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: motherEarth
Posts: 2,193
^
Not necessarily tilted towards car usage. River Walk will have over 600 units. Within a couple of blocks north on 23rd St by this development are other large residential apt bldgs, and couple blocks behind 23rd St are more residential homes. I would think within a 3 or 4 block radius above JKF blvd is enough homes/residential units to support the supermarket. Ultimately, I think the density is high enough around this project for Giant to select the location. Also, folks could trek from One Riverside and the Fitler Square neighborhood too.

Last edited by iheartphilly; Aug 19, 2019 at 11:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #723  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 11:57 PM
Urbanthusiat's Avatar
Urbanthusiat Urbanthusiat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: South Philly
Posts: 979
It also is close to transit - 30th St is a 5 minute walk away, and the 22nd St trolley stop is even closer. This neighborhood has added a lot of units in the past few years and will likely continue to grow. Not to mention the new commercial development. I imagine they intend to apply the same concepts as they do at their Heirloom markets (which are excellent by the way) but on a larger scale. I expect Giant to do very well and I think it's an exciting addition.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #724  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 2:12 AM
gjrip's Avatar
gjrip gjrip is offline
Dev Nerd
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 86
Giant is not a letdown at all!! I can assure you, people in that area will absolutely LOVE the concept of a close grocery store with reasonable pricing (sorry, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods). This is how you get people to live in a neighborhood. Options. Amenities. The right price. I'm weirdly 100% loving the idea of a Giant there. So many people drive all the way to South Philly for ACME or the other stuff down on the blvd. Now there will be a Giant nearby. Awesome!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #725  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 4:18 AM
JurassicPhilly JurassicPhilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post


A flagship full service supermarket in Center City is a letdown? That was the absolute best possible outcome for this location.
Well I didn't realize it was going to be a flagship supermarket. Is the ship going to be on the Schuylkill? That would be cool. If that is the case, maybe the ship should be named Andre, so we could refer to it as the Andre the Giant flagship.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #726  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 12:42 PM
eixample eixample is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
Not necessarily tilted towards car usage. River Walk will have over 600 units. Within a couple of blocks north on 23rd St by this development are other large residential apt bldgs, and couple blocks behind 23rd St are more residential homes. I would think within a 3 or 4 block radius above JKF blvd is enough homes/residential units to support the supermarket. Ultimately, I think the density is high enough around this project for Giant to select the location. Also, folks could trek from One Riverside and the Fitler Square neighborhood too.
You are probably right about the density, and I am sure I am overreacting a bit. I just hope we get more small-format grocery stores dotted around the city more than these big ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
It also is close to transit - 30th St is a 5 minute walk away, and the 22nd St trolley stop is even closer. This neighborhood has added a lot of units in the past few years and will likely continue to grow. Not to mention the new commercial development. I imagine they intend to apply the same concepts as they do at their Heirloom markets (which are excellent by the way) but on a larger scale. I expect Giant to do very well and I think it's an exciting addition.
I hope you are right that they make it Heirloom-y (somehow I have yet to go to one of these yet). Regarding the distance to transit, a five minute walk is a long way with grocery bags so I am not sure how much people could buy before getting on a train or trolley. This is not like Trader Joe's, Sprouts, and Mom's Organic Market that are right on top of rail lines.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #727  
Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 5:52 PM
Jawnadelphia's Avatar
Jawnadelphia Jawnadelphia is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Phila., PA
Posts: 2,108
Nice to see some vertical progress on the north tower core (finally):







Reply With Quote
     
     
  #728  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 2:01 PM
Philly Fan Philly Fan is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,158
Grabbed some more shots today from the train, showing the rebar sticking out of the top of the south core, and the installation of a self-rising form system on the north core:







Reply With Quote
     
     
  #729  
Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 7:37 PM
diavolo diavolo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 30
The north side of this project is on the rise again. Also a 2nd row of houses from the project across the street.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #730  
Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 11:27 AM
brenster brenster is offline
i heart philly
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dillsburg,PA
Posts: 198
https://mobile.twitter.com/photogaar...31289537437696

I don’t know how to post pics on this site, heres one from this morning.
__________________
I heart Philly
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #731  
Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 11:52 AM
Philly Fan Philly Fan is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenster View Post
https://mobile.twitter.com/photogaar...31289537437696

I don’t know how to post pics on this site, heres one from this morning.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #732  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 2:23 AM
gjrip's Avatar
gjrip gjrip is offline
Dev Nerd
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicPhilly View Post
Well I didn't realize it was going to be a flagship supermarket. Is the ship going to be on the Schuylkill? That would be cool. If that is the case, maybe the ship should be named Andre, so we could refer to it as the Andre the Giant flagship.
Just seeing this now. Lol.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #733  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 1:33 PM
Londonee Londonee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fitler Square (via London)
Posts: 1,635
Why does a project of this scale only have a single tower crane?

Was just in London and it was quite common for projects of much smaller scale than this to still have 3-4 cranes operating at the same time.

Is this a weird union thing? Is it purely economical?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #734  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 1:38 PM
Plokoon11 Plokoon11 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,635
Is this project even making progress?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #735  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 1:40 PM
Jawnadelphia's Avatar
Jawnadelphia Jawnadelphia is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Phila., PA
Posts: 2,108
^I'm guessing economical, but I've noticed that while PMC has said that both buildings are being constructed at the same time, literally nothing has been done for the South Tower in months -- the core just sits there a few floors high. All activity is being done on the North tower, parking garage, and future Giant. So maybe PMC doesn't see the need for 2 cranes as this seems to be clearly being built in phases.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #736  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 1:43 PM
Jawnadelphia's Avatar
Jawnadelphia Jawnadelphia is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Phila., PA
Posts: 2,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokoon11 View Post
Is this project even making progress?
Yes the North tower side of the project has really picked up the pace in the last 2 months, we are just beginning to see it rise vertically though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #737  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 1:47 PM
iheartphilly's Avatar
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Philly Rising Up!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: motherEarth
Posts: 2,193
Re: construction cranes

I think it is project-based. Currently, the Arthaus project on Broad St has 4 cranes in operation. 3 of the 4 are mobile cranes. Another example is the UPenn Hospital, it had two fixed cranes during the steel erection/cladding process.

Last edited by iheartphilly; Sep 27, 2019 at 2:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #738  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 3:53 PM
Londonee Londonee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fitler Square (via London)
Posts: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Re: construction cranes

I think it is project-based. Currently, the Arthaus project on Broad St has 4 cranes in operation. 3 of the 4 are mobile cranes. Another example is the UPenn Hospital, it had two fixed cranes during the steel erection/cladding process.
I guess my point is...this is a pretty common sight in Europe?

Source

Meanwhile, we have A crane on a massive scale full block project. It has to be a cost/union thing, no?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #739  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 4:06 PM
iheartphilly's Avatar
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Philly Rising Up!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: motherEarth
Posts: 2,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
I guess my point is...this is a pretty common sight in Europe?

Source

Meanwhile, we have A crane on a massive scale full block project. It has to be a cost/union thing, no?
Who knows? But your reasoning wouldn't surprise anyone? And yeah, in China and Middle East, you would see multiple cranes on a large scale project too.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #740  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 4:08 PM
Knight Hospitaller's Avatar
Knight Hospitaller Knight Hospitaller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greater Philadelphia
Posts: 2,328
In Belgium, you even see cranes like that constructing single family homes. There's probably a code/regulation aspect to it as well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:15 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.