HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
Public housing?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 2:23 AM

Rental Apartment I think.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 5:41 AM
ARTchitecture

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 6:01 AM

Towers proposed to replace Coquitlam car lot

Plans revealed to build 25- and 29-storey high rises on Lougheed Highway property

Grant Granger / Tri-City News
SEPTEMBER 11, 2019

Image of plans for the Alderson Gate development on Lougheed Highway being proposed by developer Ledingham McAllister. This view is looking northeast from Alderson Avenue.
Photograph By LEDINGHAM MCALLISTER

A residential complex featuring two towers and two low-rises is being proposed to replace a longtime Lougheed Highway car lot.

Representatives of Ledingham McAllister appeared before Coquitlam council Monday to provide initial details on a proposal to build highrises of 29 and 25 storeys, a five-storey low-rise and a four-storey building with 10 townhouses. Alderson Gate would be built at 688 Lougheed Hwy. — which is currently home to a used car dealership and formerly housed Brian Jessel BMW — with a total of 571 units, including 159 for market rentals.

https://www.tricitynews.com/news/tow...lot-1.23942724

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 4:58 PM
Midtowner since 2K

The proposal for 2444 Yonge is probably the most insulting proposal laid in front of council in terms of that area of the city. Building a massive structure like that a bit north of the Y&E area to the point where SFH neighbourhoods are much closer by only makes me question if that's a serious proposal. The massing is hefty, and the facademy is embarrassing, and confusing....if the developer is the same one that demolished the bank on the north east corner, they have quite a fight to go up with. I personally would rather see a smaller footprint and say 10 floors here MAX.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 9:02 PM
Community Guy

Better shot of the newest Oliver proposal on Jasper/123st.

https://twitter.com/CityofEdmonton/s...25593727438851
@cityofEdmonton

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
The proposal for 2444 Yonge is probably the most insulting proposal laid in front of council in terms of that area of the city. Building a massive structure like that a bit north of the Y&E area to the point where SFH neighbourhoods are much closer by only makes me question if that's a serious proposal. The massing is hefty, and the facademy is embarrassing, and confusing....if the developer is the same one that demolished the bank on the north east corner, they have quite a fight to go up with. I personally would rather see a smaller footprint and say 10 floors here MAX.
I dont know why but I kind of like it.

It dosent offend like so many other projects do: It dosent have any tacked-on balcony banks or extruded masses. No random cut out sections of window wall beneath overhang. No massive structural concrete pillars.

The heritage components look much less awkwardly integrated compared to the little saloons being preserved at One Bloor.

Although it could be downsized to around 25 floors I think the more conservative design suits the neighbourhood.

Once again, the key is lush landscaping and architectural details on the ground level.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
A few from Edmonton:

Winspear Centre for Music - expansion - u/c but just and newly released renderings.

https://www.dezeen.com/2019/09/09/wi...-aedas-canada/

Westrich 106st - keep in mind that all of the surface parking in front of it will be our new central park

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg/status/1172212311836086272

Jasper 123st

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg/status/1172207883011772421
@ianoyeg
Some nice projects. Anything on the new park?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 3:06 AM
ARTchitecture

Damn the Winspear Centre expansion looks awesome!

Is this the "central park" mentioned in the post above?

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 3:10 AM
Community Guy

The land acquisition is essentially complete.
January 2019 - Land Acquisition
2019-2021 - Design & Public Engagement
2022-2023 - Construction

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...hood-park.aspx

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
The land acquisition is essentially complete.
January 2019 - Land Acquisition
2019-2021 - Design & Public Engagement
2022-2023 - Construction

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...hood-park.aspx
Get Claude Cormier to design the park. Maybe we can get a stunning Victorian style fountain as well.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 4:26 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post

I don't have any problem with the height - and given the height of adjacent towers I don't think the city will either - but that podium is definitely an overbearing monstrosity.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
I don't have any problem with the height - and given the height of adjacent towers I don't think the city will either - but that podium is definitely an overbearing monstrosity.
I don't have a huge problem with the podium as long as it's of high quality with thoughtful design accents and lighting. Perhaps there could be a few more stepbacks and variations of design to add a little finer grain to the streetscape. But I'd hate to see it reduced to a dinky po-dunk 4 story podium. Could the architect explore how to better integrate and reference the historic facades ? - absolutely.

It's very tough to figure out how this will turn out.

One could also say that the podium of the SunLife Building in Montreal is overbearing but that's why it will always feel infinitely more intense and urban than a cluster of 70 story condo buildings in Mississauga or Coquitlam.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 10:06 PM
I am the law!

The podium is poorly massed as part of the broader complex That's what makes it overbearing. It's not the number of storeys tall. It's obvious the architect recognized this with the poor attempt to break up the massing of this density behemoth. The result is an incoherent jumble of styles which doesn't do much to actually break up the massing. Quality materials are not going to make it more coherent. Lighting accentuates architecture at times when it is not easily seen. It has no value otherwise. It's not going to make an eyesore look good on a sunny afternoon.

No one is suggesting a one to two storey podium thrown under these towers would be better. Montreal's Sun Life Tower is not comparable.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
Two tower proposal for North Road in Coquitlam:

The plan for 705-707 North Road is to rezone to permit the development of two residential towers with a total of 482 units under the Burquitlam-Lougheed Neighbourhood Plan. Townhouses will front North Road.

Details of the proposed development include:

a 46-storey market condo tower
a 20-storey rental tower
tower heights of 492 ft. and 225 ft.;

Source: http://www.vancouvermarket.ca/2019/0...rquitlam-site/
I don't like it, but more than anything I don't like the render.

If I look past the weird colouring and lighting of the render I think the general form and architecture will be passable for the burbs, if unexciting.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 3:47 AM
Community Guy

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 4:45 PM

Aside from the Winspear Centre for Music, this page has been a huge disappointment so far.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 11:25 PM

And Winspear wasn't even really this page!

Gotta have some 6/10s to have some 10/10s though. They can't all be award winners.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 3:59 PM

Central City 2 Tower in Surrey. It was just rejected by the city for being too short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
It'll take time for the office market in Surrey to develop.

As long as future sites are preserved and not built out with residential, then there should be taller office buildings in the future.

Renders from the articles - looks nice!
The cladding will differentiate it from the condo towers in the area.
Note the future towers in the background.
The height cited here is about 3 ft taller than the height in the thread title.

Quote:
The application, designed by ZGF Architects, calls for a 382-ft-tall, 25-storey building with 567,114 sq. ft. of Class AAA office space in the upper floors and 16,168 sq. ft. of ground-level retail and restaurant space. This includes a three-storey podium, with the top two floors utilized as office, and the lower retail and restaurant spaces spilling out onto a stepped public plaza.

According to a city staff report, the tower’s elliptical form references the form of Bing Thom’s Central City 1 tower on the opposite corner of the site — at the northwest corner of the mall.

But the massing and exterior differentiates with the use of a combination of glass and corrugated metal panels that provide the tower with a metallic rust appearance, as well as solar shading and an improved “visual interest.”
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/cent...orge-boulevard

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 6:57 PM
Community Guy

I absolutely love this proposal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada