HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.

View Poll Results: Which party do you plan to vote for in the 2019 federal election?
Conservative Party 73 25.61%
Liberal Party 119 41.75%
NDP 44 15.44%
Green Party 27 9.47%
Peoples Party of Canada 22 7.72%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 11:32 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
No reasonable person sees Trudeau as racist though. Even after these revelations, Scheer and the CPC are still seen as less tolerant of minorities. Mostly based on their immigration views.
This sort of linking of immigration policies and being pro- or anti-minority is very strange.

There isn't much difference between the immigration levels proposed by the Conservatives and Liberals. Only the PPC is proposing drastically reduced rates. The immigration rate also isn't a "minority" issue per se; non-visible minorities can immigrate to Canada and there are lots of people already in Canada who are visible minorities. A white supremacist could be pro-immigration and try to implement quotas against the source countries. Visible minorities in Canada aren't necessarily going to be pro-immigration just because most of the immigrants also tend to be visible minorities. This is particularly true when it comes to issues like violation of the safe third country agreement. Being against people coming across the border illegally doesn't necessarily imply opposition to the presence of visible minorities or legal immigration, and if anything I'd expect people who went through a lot of effort to follow the legal channels to be unhappy with the idea that other people are jumping the queue.

A possible exception is family immigration. I'm not sure how that varies between the different party platforms, but it makes up a small percentage of the total few people seem to speak about it specifically.

Last edited by someone123; Sep 21, 2019 at 11:46 PM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
This sort of linking of immigration policies and being pro- or anti-minority is very strange.

There isn't much difference between the immigration levels proposed by the Conservatives and Liberals. .....

A possible exception is family immigration. I'm not sure how that varies between the different party platforms, but it makes up a small percentage of the total few people seem to speak about it specifically
Iinm, the Liberals doubled the level of sponsored parents and grandparents (to 10,000?) and increased the budget to reduce waiting times.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 11:51 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Iinm, the Liberals doubled the level of sponsored parents and grandparents (to 10,000?) and increased the budget to reduce waiting times.
The planned total in Canada is going from 330,000 in 2019 up to 350,000 in 2021. Almost all immigration to Canada is through the economic stream.

In the Harper years the target was 250,000. Apparently Scheer still hasn't announced a target number but it sounds like he doesn't want to commit to cutting or raising the number. My guess is that he would implement policies very similar to the Liberals. Maybe slightly lower. I don't think it makes sense to say that 350,000 is pro-visible-minority and 250,000 is anti-visible-minority.

I think the biggest challenge for immigration in Canada is making sure that the whole country benefits from it, instead of having lots of people pile into Toronto and Vancouver where the housing markets and transportation infrastructure are already strained. Thankfully there has been a lot of progress in this area during the past few years, mostly due to provincial sponsoring.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Being against people coming across the border illegally doesn't necessarily imply opposition to the presence of visible minorities or legal immigration, and if anything I'd expect people who went through a lot of effort to follow the legal channels to be unhappy with the idea that other people are jumping the queue.
Damn right some are unhappy. It's like paying big money for a ticket to an event and finding out they're handing out freebees.

This constant leftist narrative that all immigrants hate the Conservatives is such bs. Conservatives policies should try to encourage entrepreneurs and who are entrepreneurs? Immigrants! Doug Ford polled big with immigrants.

Leftists like to put these things out to demonize Conservatives but who keeps stepping on the rake to knock themselves in the head? Liberals! Their non stop hypocrisy is great fun to watch except unfortunately they are running our country.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 1:10 AM
five one foreigner

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 1:19 AM

Quote:
The planned total in Canada is going from 330,000 in 2019 up to 350,000 in 2021. Almost all immigration to Canada is through the economic stream.

In the Harper years the target was 250,000. Apparently Scheer still hasn't announced a target number but it sounds like he doesn't want to commit to cutting or raising the number. My guess is that he would implement policies very similar to the Liberals. Maybe slightly lower. I don't think it makes sense to say that 350,000 is pro-visible-minority and 250,000 is anti-visible-minority.

I think the biggest challenge for immigration in Canada is making sure that the whole country benefits from it, instead of having lots of people pile into Toronto and Vancouver where the housing markets and transportation infrastructure are already strained. Thankfully there has been a lot of progress in this area during the past few years, mostly due to provincial sponsoring.
I don't have a particularly strong opinion on immigration but I do think it's a terrible shame that we can't discuss it like adults. If you question our policy in any way shape or form, you're automatically labelled a racist or a bigot.

There are many different ways of viewing the situation. If you're a skilled worker from a developing country, living and working in Canada is a wonderful opportunity: you'll earn a higher salary and by several measures have a better quality of life. But it's bad for the developing world, isn't it? If you're more globally minded, perhaps you'd be pushing more for the economic development of those countries because the net benefit would be greater.

There's also the assumption built into our policy that there's a shortage of skilled workers in Canada. Really? Are there no unemployed PhDs? No unemployed scientists, researchers? Really? That's not been my experience. So what's happening then? We're being told that we need skilled workers and yet locals with STEM qualifications are being overlooked for positions. And any positions they do luck into offer little job security.

There's also the fact that skilled immigrants tend to get paid less. Surprise, surprise! If you're an employer, wouldn't you prefer to pay x instead of x+1? Sure you would. And wouldn't you prefer to employ someone who's come through a system which stresses test prep and an unquestioning respect for authority? Sure you would. And wouldn't you want your employees thinking they have to work 70 hours a week for Wal*Mart wages lest they get deported? Damn straight.

It's not the immigrant's fault, as if that needs to be said, it's just a bad policy.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
I don't have a particularly strong opinion on immigration but I do think it's a terrible shame that we can't discuss it like adults.
Racist!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 2:20 AM

Canada had 250,000 immigrants per year from the Mulroney, Chretien/Martin and Harper years to me that is the sweet spot for healthy immigration levels. Jason Kenney did a great job as immigration minister where he focused more so on ensuring immigrants would integrate well into Canadian Society and that they understood Canadian values, history and culture and to be active participants in Canadian culture. My fear is with the increase Trudeau brought in and half of all immigrants every year coming to Toronto that Toronto has seen a real rise in urban segregation and ghettos and is having rising crime every year similar to the problems London and Paris are facing because of poor integration of immigrants into British and French society.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 6:20 AM

I'd like to see a minimum interest rate of 2.0% carved into law.

This crooked bank of canada lowering of the interest rates needs to stop. All parties seem to love debt , inflating housing prices, and punishing savers and retirees on limited savings
income.

GDP is a horrible measure for the economic well-being of the average responsible lower class person living below their means.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Unbelievably a reporter on CBC pointed that out and actually said the Liberals started it.
The best part is a week ago if you asked which 2 of the 3 are most alike they would of said sheer and ford.

Now it seems like Ford has more in common with Trudeau than Sheer.

Both do outrageous things, meanwhile Sheer's dullheaded lego hair makes him a highly appropriate candidate for Canadian leadership

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 1:55 PM

Quote:
You're conveniently ignoring the refugee angle. That's the veiled racism wherein the Cons and others claim these people are costing us billions of dollars and destroying the country.

The same false narratives being used at the southern border of the United States. The fact that these people seeking asylum here happen to have darker skin is just a coincidence I'm sure.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post

There's also the assumption built into our policy that there's a shortage of skilled workers in Canada. Really? Are there no unemployed PhDs? No unemployed scientists, researchers? Really? That's not been my experience. So what's happening then? We're being told that we need skilled workers and yet locals with STEM qualifications are being overlooked for positions. And any positions they do luck into offer little job security.
Most highly qualified PhD level jobs wouldn't recognize the credentials from other countries anyway. Becoming a doctor or a lawyer in Canada with a foreign degree is a long and hard path. Too long and too hard IMO but that's another story.

The trope of the doctor from India driving a cab in North America is not too far from the truth.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 2:01 PM

edit

Last edited by kwoldtimer; Sep 22, 2019 at 2:57 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
To be fair, Canada would continue to receive refugees under a Conservative government, albeit perhaps in reduced numbers. Scheer's policy statement a few months back has received little public attention - what his government would do (if I understood him correctly) is stop accepting LGBT refugees and women escaping domestic violence, among others, in favour of categories of refugees who conform to traditional definitions.
Wow, that's quite the hill to die on. Wouldn't LGBT persecutions often be political? And I thought violence was violence, unless "it's ok, he's your husband!"

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Wow, that's quite the hill to die on. Wouldn't LGBT persecutions often be political? And I thought violence was violence, unless "it's ok, he's your husband!"
I'm going to retract my statement, above, I found a copy of Scheer's policy statement and gays and lesbians are specifically mentioned by him in a way that seems to indicate they can be refugees. It was his emphasis on the "four atrocity crimes" that had me thinking he was narrowing the scope, but that is not necessarily the case.

Sorry, folks.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 2:23 PM

Last edited by elly63; Sep 22, 2019 at 2:38 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Most highly qualified PhD level jobs wouldn't recognize the credentials from other countries anyway. Becoming a doctor or a lawyer in Canada with a foreign degree is a long and hard path. Too long and too hard IMO but that's another story.

The trope of the doctor from India driving a cab in North America is not too far from the truth.
I can't speak for the medical profession, but it should be clear to anyone who has been responsible for hiring that there is a clear difference between a Canadian-educated person and a person educated at a developing world university with a degree of the same name.

About 50% of the value of a professional to a client is in the ability of the professional to communicate their ideas clearly and to operate in the same business culture. In my experience, this is where most foreign degree holders are at a clear disadvantage - not necessarily because English [or French] is not their first language, but because they aren't fluent in navigating North American business culture.

The technical knowledge and hard skills in operating equipment/software/etc. which they usually do possess are not distinguishing factors between good and great candidates.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 3:54 PM

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 3:59 PM

The British Telegraph newspaper has this expose on the party where Trudeau was first seen wearing black face:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...sts-blackface/

Dear god, this is a devastating take down.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 4:02 PM

Quote:
If you're siding with Tucker Carlson you've already lost.
Did you actually bother to listen? I agree Fox is biased and provocative (like CNN) but what did he say that wasn't true? I think it's better to deflect to Scheer than try and defend the fake feminist, that's not a good road to follow. The leftists have circled the wagons and survived but on the world stage he's now a total joke, if he wasn't before. And what does sticking up for Trudeau say, it says to me, I am totally indoctrinated defending the most hypocritical man on the planet.

Actually Christie Blatchford has the best take on it and why leftists are truly evil.

Last edited by elly63; Sep 22, 2019 at 5:14 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada