HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 12:37 PM

Last edited by q12; Sep 20, 2019 at 1:00 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 1:42 PM

Last edited by Martin Mtl; Sep 20, 2019 at 2:24 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 3:52 PM

Still looking like an under-achiever in the skyline stakes. Given so many believe it's number 2.

Hope I haven't fuelled any separatist notions... Canada needs its Montreal.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 4:36 PM
Jos Connaissant

If we're talking about skylines only I might rank Montreal as 4th in the country.

Other urban metrics are an entirely different story of course.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If we're talking about skylines only I might rank Montreal as 4th in the country.

Other urban metrics are an entirely different story of course.
Not me, it's still number two for it's diversity. Vancouver has an all condo look and Calgary all new and corporate. Nothing bad about that but Montreal has a more balanced esthetic.

Last edited by TorontoDrew; Sep 20, 2019 at 7:58 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 7:46 PM
Registered Drug User

Me too. Montreal's skyline has certain angles that beat anywhere in Canada with its urbanistic goodness, height be damned.

1. Toronto
2. Montreal
3. Vancouver
4-10. Who cares?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 8:39 PM
MTL♥

one of the shittiest views of Montreal. it does not depict the sheer size of the downtown core,,,,, you need to look really closely..... talking about the first aerial photo. ... hate it... TOO bad there are clouds on the second photo.

Last edited by G.S MTL; Sep 20, 2019 at 9:02 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 8:41 PM
MTL♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post
Still looking like an under-achiever in the skyline stakes. Given so many believe it's number 2.

Hope I haven't fuelled any separatist notions... Canada needs its Montreal.
BTW That is not a skyline photo Einstein... its an aerial view.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.S MTL View Post
BTW That is not a skyline photo Einstein... its an aerial view.
What's the title of this thread?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 5:57 AM
MTL♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradFromTO View Post
What's the title of this thread?
I know but it isn’t a skyline photo....

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.S MTL View Post
I know but it isn’t a skyline photo....
It's a cool pic..Thanks for posting it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
1. Toronto
2. Montreal
3. Vancouver
4-10. Who cares?
What a boring thread this would be if you were in charge of editing out images of all but Canada's 3 biggest cities.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Me too. Montreal's skyline has certain angles that beat anywhere in Canada with its urbanistic goodness, height be damned.

1. Toronto
2. Montreal
3. Vancouver
4-10. Who cares?
Ummm.. try again. A few gigantic ones in Alberta you missed (and their skyscrapers are taller than Vancouver).

For the record I enjoy seeing all of the skylines; especially those of cities and towns under 800k people. Canada legitimately has nice skylines overall that are dynamic and intriguing enough to allow most cities to "punch above their weight-class".

There is a housing crisis, and we need to speak up about it.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 9:23 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
For the record I enjoy seeing all of the skylines; especially those of cities and towns under 800k people. Canada legitimately has nice skylines overall that are dynamic and intriguing enough to allow most cities to "punch above their weight-class".
For me it's mostly about aesthetics rather than scale, although more layering is possible with taller buildings than shorter ones. I don't consider Calgary or Toronto more aesthetically pleasing than Quebec City or Vancouver just because they have more or bigger buildings.

I think my favourite skylines are places like central London where there are lots of historic buildings and relatively few modern highrises that are of a high quality. I also like a lot of historic American skyscapers. Toronto has some nice ones in this category like Commerce Court North and the Royal York, but they have become less visible as new building have been built.

One thing to keep in mind is that Canada will probably never have large-scale buildings that are impressive on a global scale. So it will always make a lot of sense to consider the subjective unique flavour of the skylines here instead of just how tall the buildings are and how many there are. The chateau-style hotels for example are fairly unique to Canada. Many Canadian cities also have better than average natural settings.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 10:05 PM
ARTchitecture

He was responding to Rousseau's troll bate, which is of course never to be taken seriously.

I also prefer Paris and London to any Canadian skyline because of their historic/modern juxtapositions, but since Canada has very little in the way of visible historic structures, Calgary is firmly within my top 3 favourites in the country. This is due to the quality of the modern skyscrapers here, the uniqueness of our three tallest, the sheer number and density of skyscrapers, layout of the skyline, and the regulated building height setbacks from the Bow River creating a unique form. Taken alone (without the mountains) I don't think the Vancouver skyline would even make it into my top 5. Though they certainly do have some quality towers, only a few stick out of an otherwise table-top skyline.

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 2:35 PM

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 3:11 PM

I like your busy port there, Hali!

There is a housing crisis, and we need to speak up about it.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 3:20 PM
five one foreigner

Downtown Montreal, and not central Montreal as a whole but "downtown" specifically, is a bit underwhelming.

Luckily, it is surrounded by, in no particular order, a towering hillside Olmsted park, a prestigious and picturesque old university, a stunning 19th-century port district, and a few impeccable urban walkup neighbourhoods.

This is the reason for the mixed sentiment.

Downtown Montreal is frustrating for a few reasons. First, it was always a bit of a wandering star, so by the time you started to see landmark skyscrapers, it was already meandering to the northwest, first up Beaver Hall and then west to Dominion Square.

None of the individual points of focus -- Victoria Square, Philips Square/Rene-Levesque, or Dominion Square -- build to a crescendo, really. They all have their airy qualities. At Victoria and Dominion, urban energy leaks to the west and south respectively. At PVM, it leaks down R-L to the east. There is a lack of enclosure.

Boston is similar, but a greater number of imposing prewar buildings, a smaller number of non-imposing fillers, and a tangled street network contain downtown energy even as the centre of gravity pulls to the Back Bay.

San Francisco is similar in its lack of an apex, but again, it's a larger, richer city with larger, richer buildings.

Montreal is doing everything it needs to do in terms of densifying these areas, and I think the construction to the East and North of Griffintown, as well as westwards along R-L, will do wonders for the Dominion and Victoria Square focus points. The construction on Philips Square will help PVM, as do the condos on University and Union.

Unfortunately, Montreal needs the skyscraper. Cities don't, but Montreal does.

This is not Madrid or Paris. The pre-war fabric is not imposing enough, in and of itself, to create the metropolitan impression. Neither is the height limit meaningful enough; at 15 stories, it might have had a chance. At 50 or thereabouts, you receive all of the qualities of the skyscraper save its most magnificent.

The culture of Montreal, at present, is not focused on large-scale metropolitan aesthetics. In this sense it is like Copenhagen, another wonderfully livable city whose visual impact is less than nearby peers such as Stockholm. The city's greatest triumphs of engineering might have traditionally been infrastructural and not strictly architectural.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 3:25 PM
five one foreigner

Cautious recommendation: A slim, 900-foot tower at Robert-Bourassa and R-L, northeast corner. A fatter, 1,300 foot one at St. Antoine and Mansfield.

Less cautious one: the same, but build over the useless, destructive Place du Canada as well.

Of course, this helps nothing but the skyline; maybe it helps downtown as well in an overall sense. The culture is presently of a sort where the skyline is an afterthought if not a regretted element, so that's that, but hey -- this is the skyline thread.

Montreal's bones are so good that those two additions could, assuming landmark quality, vault it into direct contention with the far more populous (in human and building terms) Toronto.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 5:19 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

We might be nearing Halifax saturation in this thread but I thought these were interesting too.

This one shows the crumpled crane knocked over during Hurricane Dorian. It also shows how dense this area is getting. The block to the left is similar (actually more built up) while to the right there is a nice neighbourhood of mixed townhouses and small apartments. These blend together now whereas back around 2000 they were separated by a bunch of parking lots.

Source

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 7:01 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada