HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 1:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
That isthmus seems so wide to me. It's fascinating how areas of such low elevation are vulnerable across such a huge area. Sea levels would have to rise enough to completely overtop PEI in order to cut the Avalon off over our isthmus.
Newfoundland is quite a bit more mountainous than most of the Maritimes. The sea levels could rise 50 metres and not significantly change the shape of Newfoundland.

Meanwhile large areas of eastern NB, northern NS and most of PEI would be under water.........

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 2:02 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Yeah. Obviously it would never be allowed to happen, but Montreal would be almost completely underwater before St. John's was significantly impacted. Seems weird to me.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 2:45 PM

Speaking of roads in NL, this poorly designed roundabout is getting a lot of attention on social media today.

https://twitter.com/NewfieScumbag/st...77905138753536

The understanding of roundabouts by people in this city shaky to say the least, but something like this is confusing to everyone.

Not sure who designed this and gave it the okay, but they should be out of a job right now.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 5:43 PM

Not that bad of a roundabout design. Except that (hopefully not fatal!) flaw of 2 lanes merging into a single lane road at the top.

The Inside right ring of the roundabout should be for turning out the left (or going around to the bottom); it should not go out the top.

And the right entrance should either be single lane, or two lane but only the right lane can go right; the left lane must go straight or left.

Ugh the left hand entrance is almost as bad, but at least it's 2 lanes feeding into a 2 lane road.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 5:52 PM

The Allumettières/Saint-Joseph roundabout in Gatineau is very similar to this one and even though outsiders might be confused it generally work well. But yes, the left lane should not allow for right turns, but since the circle is reduced to one lane at the bottom and top it should be ok.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 5:29 AM
Average User

I've been working on a traffic volume map for the last several months and I'm at the point where I'm ready to make it public. I'm not finished yet, I'm working my way across Canada and I just finished Ontario, moving on to Quebec. It should be pretty straight forward to use, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...9760000005&z=4

If you scroll to the bottom of the column on the left, you can select another set of layers that shows my recommended freeway and expressway network based on my own criteria. Again still a work in progress. Have fun!

Also I can't find traffic data for Newfoundland anywhere. I've emailed the transportation department and haven't received a response. If anyone knows how to access this data, please let me know.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 7:14 AM

Too cool!!!!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 10:08 AM
Transit Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_427 View Post
I've been working on a traffic volume map for the last several months and I'm at the point where I'm ready to make it public. I'm not finished yet, I'm working my way across Canada and I just finished Ontario, moving on to Quebec. It should be pretty straight forward to use, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...9760000005&z=4

If you scroll to the bottom of the column on the left, you can select another set of layers that shows my recommended freeway and expressway network based on my own criteria. Again still a work in progress. Have fun!

Also I can't find traffic data for Newfoundland anywhere. I've emailed the transportation department and haven't received a response. If anyone knows how to access this data, please let me know.
Great work, thanks! This is much more visual than the aadt statistics from MTO.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 11:32 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

No idea, sorry - but awesome map.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 12:17 PM
Transit Geek

https://twitter.com/skgovhwyhotline/...666862080?s=21

SK Highway 7 twinning (Vanscoy Bypass being the final phase) is near completion.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 7:51 PM

does anyone know has between done on Route 85/185?? this summer between Riviere Du Loup and NB? I realize the bulk of the road has been twinned, however, the completion of this road is taking forever.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 8:00 PM
Transit Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
does anyone know has between done on Route 85/185?? this summer between Riviere Du Loup and NB? I realize the bulk of the road has been twinned, however, the completion of this road is taking forever.
I have mainly posted news about A85/Rte 185 in the TCH thread and in the Quebec highway thread. So far, work on 4 out of 7 sections of the final phase are underway. Construction around Rivière Verte (Saint Antonin) may cause minor congestion. MTQ intends to open the new freeway sections one by one gradually, between 2021 and 2025. (In other words, by 2025, one can travel from Windsor, ON to Halifax, NS completely on freeways.)
Speaking of A85, I was also gonna mention that CAQ also wanna bridge the gap of A20 between Rivière Trois Pistoles and Rimouski. Funny enough, only the section around Trois Pistoles will see 4 lanes right from the get-go.

By the way, how many lanes is the TCH Cornwall Bypass (P.E.I.) supposed to have? It looks like there’ll only be two lanes, but I can’t find official documents about it. .

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I have mainly posted news about A85/Rte 185 in the TCH thread and in the Quebec highway thread. So far, work on 4 out of 7 sections of the final phase are underway. Construction around Rivière Verte (Saint Antonin) may cause minor congestion. MTQ intends to open the new freeway sections one by one gradually, between 2021 and 2025. (In other words, by 2025, one can travel from Windsor, ON to Halifax, NS completely on freeways.)
Speaking of A85, I was also gonna mention that CAQ also wanna bridge the gap of A20 between Rivière Trois Pistoles and Rimouski. Funny enough, only the section around Trois Pistoles will see 4 lanes right from the get-go.

By the way, how many lanes is the TCH Cornwall Bypass (P.E.I.) supposed to have? It looks like there’ll only be two lanes, but I can’t find official documents about it. .
thanks for the information.
As far as I know the bypass will be two lane with a passing lane or two. The last story I saw they were hoping to be open mid to late fall. I do not take the TCH very often as it is the long way from Ch'town to Summerside where I live. If I hear of any further information I will post it.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 7:34 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
https://twitter.com/skgovhwyhotline/...666862080?s=21

SK Highway 7 twinning (Vanscoy Bypass being the final phase) is near completion.
Yayy! I can use this when I go to Saskatoon.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 3:18 AM

My latest video is online. Enjoy the scenic views downhill to the St. Lawrence river, Charlevoix, Québec
I've also added a couple of pictures that I took at the end of video.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 3:57 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Great video Franks - Thanks.

I've not been any further down the 138 than the bridge to Ile d'Orleans. One of these days I'm gonna drive as far east as the Saguenay Fjord.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
My latest video is online. Enjoy the scenic views downhill to the St. Lawrence river, Charlevoix, Québec
I've also added a couple of pictures that I took at the end of video.
Very nice. Some of those views are absolutely spectacular. At the very end of the video it looks like railroad tracks very close to the road. Do trains go through that area or is it abandoned track?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 2:52 AM

By the way, how many lanes is the TCH Cornwall Bypass (P.E.I.) supposed to have? It looks like there’ll only be two lanes, but I can’t find official documents about it. .[/QUOTE]

The Official PEI Project Thread is reporting that the highway opens around Oct 19.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 2:59 AM
Transit Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
The Official PEI Project Thread is reporting that the highway opens around Oct 19.[/QUOTE]

Thanks

Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 3:43 PM

Video of the Trans-Canada Highway approaching and through Antigonish, Nova Scotia:

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada