HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7821  
Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 1:58 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 19,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
That isthmus seems so wide to me. It's fascinating how areas of such low elevation are vulnerable across such a huge area. Sea levels would have to rise enough to completely overtop PEI in order to cut the Avalon off over our isthmus.
Newfoundland is quite a bit more mountainous than most of the Maritimes. The sea levels could rise 50 metres and not significantly change the shape of Newfoundland.

Meanwhile large areas of eastern NB, northern NS and most of PEI would be under water.........
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7822  
Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 2:02 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: See post below...
Posts: 28,073
Yeah. Obviously it would never be allowed to happen, but Montreal would be almost completely underwater before St. John's was significantly impacted. Seems weird to me.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7823  
Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 2:45 PM
Marty_Mcfly's Avatar
Marty_Mcfly Marty_Mcfly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 4,628
Speaking of roads in NL, this poorly designed roundabout is getting a lot of attention on social media today.


https://twitter.com/NewfieScumbag/st...77905138753536

The understanding of roundabouts by people in this city shaky to say the least, but something like this is confusing to everyone.

Not sure who designed this and gave it the okay, but they should be out of a job right now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7824  
Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 5:43 PM
Taeolas Taeolas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fredericton
Posts: 2,969
Not that bad of a roundabout design. Except that (hopefully not fatal!) flaw of 2 lanes merging into a single lane road at the top.

The Inside right ring of the roundabout should be for turning out the left (or going around to the bottom); it should not go out the top.

And the right entrance should either be single lane, or two lane but only the right lane can go right; the left lane must go straight or left.

Ugh the left hand entrance is almost as bad, but at least it's 2 lanes feeding into a 2 lane road.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7825  
Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 5:52 PM
le calmar's Avatar
le calmar le calmar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 3,732
The Allumettières/Saint-Joseph roundabout in Gatineau is very similar to this one and even though outsiders might be confused it generally work well. But yes, the left lane should not allow for right turns, but since the circle is reduced to one lane at the bottom and top it should be ok.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7826  
Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 5:29 AM
kev_427 kev_427 is offline
Average User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 71
I've been working on a traffic volume map for the last several months and I'm at the point where I'm ready to make it public. I'm not finished yet, I'm working my way across Canada and I just finished Ontario, moving on to Quebec. It should be pretty straight forward to use, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...9760000005&z=4

If you scroll to the bottom of the column on the left, you can select another set of layers that shows my recommended freeway and expressway network based on my own criteria. Again still a work in progress. Have fun!

Also I can't find traffic data for Newfoundland anywhere. I've emailed the transportation department and haven't received a response. If anyone knows how to access this data, please let me know.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7827  
Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 7:14 AM
ssiguy ssiguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: White Rock BC
Posts: 6,886
Too cool!!!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7828  
Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 10:08 AM
Dengler Avenue's Avatar
Dengler Avenue Dengler Avenue is online now
Transit Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: see profile picture
Posts: 3,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_427 View Post
I've been working on a traffic volume map for the last several months and I'm at the point where I'm ready to make it public. I'm not finished yet, I'm working my way across Canada and I just finished Ontario, moving on to Quebec. It should be pretty straight forward to use, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...9760000005&z=4

If you scroll to the bottom of the column on the left, you can select another set of layers that shows my recommended freeway and expressway network based on my own criteria. Again still a work in progress. Have fun!

Also I can't find traffic data for Newfoundland anywhere. I've emailed the transportation department and haven't received a response. If anyone knows how to access this data, please let me know.
Great work, thanks! This is much more visual than the aadt statistics from MTO.
__________________
Forget about cars; let's teleport!
========================
On se fout des chars! On se téléporte!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7829  
Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 11:32 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: See post below...
Posts: 28,073
No idea, sorry - but awesome map.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7830  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 12:17 PM
Dengler Avenue's Avatar
Dengler Avenue Dengler Avenue is online now
Transit Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: see profile picture
Posts: 3,261
https://twitter.com/skgovhwyhotline/...666862080?s=21

SK Highway 7 twinning (Vanscoy Bypass being the final phase) is near completion.
__________________
Forget about cars; let's teleport!
========================
On se fout des chars! On se téléporte!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7831  
Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 7:51 PM
PEI highway guy PEI highway guy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Summerside, PE
Posts: 343
does anyone know has between done on Route 85/185?? this summer between Riviere Du Loup and NB? I realize the bulk of the road has been twinned, however, the completion of this road is taking forever.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7832  
Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 8:00 PM
Dengler Avenue's Avatar
Dengler Avenue Dengler Avenue is online now
Transit Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: see profile picture
Posts: 3,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
does anyone know has between done on Route 85/185?? this summer between Riviere Du Loup and NB? I realize the bulk of the road has been twinned, however, the completion of this road is taking forever.
I have mainly posted news about A85/Rte 185 in the TCH thread and in the Quebec highway thread. So far, work on 4 out of 7 sections of the final phase are underway. Construction around Rivière Verte (Saint Antonin) may cause minor congestion. MTQ intends to open the new freeway sections one by one gradually, between 2021 and 2025. (In other words, by 2025, one can travel from Windsor, ON to Halifax, NS completely on freeways.)
Speaking of A85, I was also gonna mention that CAQ also wanna bridge the gap of A20 between Rivière Trois Pistoles and Rimouski. Funny enough, only the section around Trois Pistoles will see 4 lanes right from the get-go.

By the way, how many lanes is the TCH Cornwall Bypass (P.E.I.) supposed to have? It looks like there’ll only be two lanes, but I can’t find official documents about it. .
__________________
Forget about cars; let's teleport!
========================
On se fout des chars! On se téléporte!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7833  
Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 9:46 PM
PEI highway guy PEI highway guy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Summerside, PE
Posts: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I have mainly posted news about A85/Rte 185 in the TCH thread and in the Quebec highway thread. So far, work on 4 out of 7 sections of the final phase are underway. Construction around Rivière Verte (Saint Antonin) may cause minor congestion. MTQ intends to open the new freeway sections one by one gradually, between 2021 and 2025. (In other words, by 2025, one can travel from Windsor, ON to Halifax, NS completely on freeways.)
Speaking of A85, I was also gonna mention that CAQ also wanna bridge the gap of A20 between Rivière Trois Pistoles and Rimouski. Funny enough, only the section around Trois Pistoles will see 4 lanes right from the get-go.

By the way, how many lanes is the TCH Cornwall Bypass (P.E.I.) supposed to have? It looks like there’ll only be two lanes, but I can’t find official documents about it. .
thanks for the information.
As far as I know the bypass will be two lane with a passing lane or two. The last story I saw they were hoping to be open mid to late fall. I do not take the TCH very often as it is the long way from Ch'town to Summerside where I live. If I hear of any further information I will post it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7834  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 7:34 AM
craner's Avatar
craner craner is offline
Go Tall or Go Home
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
https://twitter.com/skgovhwyhotline/...666862080?s=21

SK Highway 7 twinning (Vanscoy Bypass being the final phase) is near completion.
Yayy! I can use this when I go to Saskatoon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7835  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 3:18 AM
FrAnKs's Avatar
FrAnKs FrAnKs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ville de Québec / Quebec city
Posts: 5,021
My latest video is online. Enjoy the scenic views downhill to the St. Lawrence river, Charlevoix, Québec
I've also added a couple of pictures that I took at the end of video.

Video Link
__________________
PROVINCE OF QUEBEC ==> 8 500 000
MONTREAL ==> 4 250 000
QUEBEC CITY ==> 825 000
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7836  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 3:57 AM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 19,280


Great video Franks - Thanks.

I've not been any further down the 138 than the bridge to Ile d'Orleans. One of these days I'm gonna drive as far east as the Saguenay Fjord.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7837  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 4:38 AM
Corndogger Corndogger is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
My latest video is online. Enjoy the scenic views downhill to the St. Lawrence river, Charlevoix, Québec
I've also added a couple of pictures that I took at the end of video.
Very nice. Some of those views are absolutely spectacular. At the very end of the video it looks like railroad tracks very close to the road. Do trains go through that area or is it abandoned track?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7838  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 2:52 AM
PEI highway guy PEI highway guy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Summerside, PE
Posts: 343
By the way, how many lanes is the TCH Cornwall Bypass (P.E.I.) supposed to have? It looks like there’ll only be two lanes, but I can’t find official documents about it. .[/QUOTE]

The Official PEI Project Thread is reporting that the highway opens around Oct 19.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7839  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 2:59 AM
Dengler Avenue's Avatar
Dengler Avenue Dengler Avenue is online now
Transit Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: see profile picture
Posts: 3,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
By the way, how many lanes is the TCH Cornwall Bypass (P.E.I.) supposed to have? It looks like there’ll only be two lanes, but I can’t find official documents about it. .
The Official PEI Project Thread is reporting that the highway opens around Oct 19.[/QUOTE]

Thanks
__________________
Forget about cars; let's teleport!
========================
On se fout des chars! On se téléporte!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7840  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 3:43 PM
sonysnob sonysnob is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,219
Video of the Trans-Canada Highway approaching and through Antigonish, Nova Scotia:

Video Link
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:39 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.