HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 12:11 PM

^ Their main argument is that 42% of current renters make below $20,000 per year and cannot afford their housing costs.

This stat is repeated over and over in the “research” which is driving this discussion. Making below $20,000 per year is less than minimum wage.

These people want a nicer revitalized neighborhood, but don’t want to pay anything extra for it? They’re demanding a property tax freeze because they rent in the area?

This is the epitome of entitlement.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
A few single family homes have sold or been on the market for at least $600,000 in the area though.
Indeed my friend. My partners and I were a part of one of those sales.

As for the Woodlawn Organization, I would not pay too much attention to them. They are a shell of their former selves now that their founder in facing down the barrel of a long prison stint.

There is always a hot take to be had on the Obama Library... it drives news, rankles some and inspires others... but truly, there is nothing to see here folks.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsted & Villagio View Post
but truly, there is nothing to see here folks.
When someone goes out of there way to say this it's always a sure sign that there is, indeed, nothing to see here.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 3:07 AM
The City

A quote from one of the CBA supporters:

Quote:
“This neighborhood is key to the national civil rights story,” Green said. “When this neighborhood is being developed, we want this to remain a black community.”
https://blockclubchicago.org/2019/09...its-agreement/

Real estate people pay attention. If laws are passed that trample on your rights, you may use blatantly racist quotes like this one to help you out in any civil rights litigation you may be forced to bring forth

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 3:51 AM
Urbane observer

Random Chicagoan says dumb thing! We'll have a complete report tonight at 10 . . . only on Libertyville Cable Access!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockerzzz View Post
^ Their main argument is that 42% of current renters make below $20,000 per year and cannot afford their housing costs.

This stat is repeated over and over in the “research” which is driving this discussion. Making below $20,000 per year is less than minimum wage.

These people want a nicer revitalized neighborhood, but don’t want to pay anything extra for it? They’re demanding a property tax freeze because they rent in the area?

This is the epitome of entitlement.
Here's some trends and data:

2010, Households Making Under $25K
Tract 4201 (next to the park): 60.6%
Tract 4202 (directly west of 4201): 49.3%

2010, Households Making $50K+
Tract 4201 (next to the park): 11%
Tract 4202 (directly west of 4201): 27%

2017, Households Making Under $25K
Tract 4201 (next to the park): 58%
Tract 4202 (directly west of 4201): 42.1%

2017, Households Making $50K+
Tract 4201 (next to the park): 23.9% (up from 11%)
Tract 4202 (directly west of 4201): 38.1% (up from 27%)

2010, Households Making $100K+
Tract 4201 (next to the park): 5%
Tract 4202 (directly west of 4201): 11.2%

2017, Households Making $100K+
Tract 4201 (next to the park): 8%
Tract 4202 (directly west of 4201): 11.2% (unchanged)

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 12:56 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Random Chicagoan says dumb thing! We'll have a complete report tonight at 10 . . . only on Libertyville Cable Access!
Being willfully naive as always, I see (similar to how you stupidly defend Aldermanic prerogative as something democratic and not corrupt at all...).

Anyhow, do you think she is the only one of those “activists” who believes that? Answer: no.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
How about suing Carlos Rosa when his chief of staff says "there are too many white people moving into the neighborhood" in front of 300+ people at a community meeting? How about suing Rosa when his right hand man posts an antisemetic dog whistle laden Facebook status gloating that "rich white girls from the suburbs" lost their job at DNAinfo?

Do we get to sue then? I swear to God I will go after Rosa in a fair housing lawsuit (just like how Trump lost his Muslim ban because throwing NK in there with a bunch of Muslim countries after you called it a Muslim ban for months doesn't mean it's not a Muslim ban) if he ever downzones any of my property. I would relish litigating something like that to the finish and having Rosa publically labeled as the bigot that he is. So help me God I'll do it if he ever is stupid enough to give me standing in a case like that against him.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 7:46 PM
TL;DR

Weird for Rosa's dude to be gloating at the demise of DNAInfo when DNAInfo/Block Club definitely has a progressive slant, or at least an anti-development slant...

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
How about suing Carlos Rosa when his chief of staff says "there are too many white people moving into the neighborhood" in front of 300+ people at a community meeting? How about suing Rosa when his right hand man posts an antisemetic dog whistle laden Facebook status gloating that "rich white girls from the suburbs" lost their job at DNAinfo?

Do we get to sue then? I swear to God I will go after Rosa in a fair housing lawsuit (just like how Trump lost his Muslim ban because throwing NK in there with a bunch of Muslim countries after you called it a Muslim ban for months doesn't mean it's not a Muslim ban) if he ever downzones any of my property. I would relish litigating something like that to the finish and having Rosa publically labeled as the bigot that he is. So help me God I'll do it if he ever is stupid enough to give me standing in a case like that against him.
maybe the worst post on this site ever

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan ryan View Post
maybe the worst post on this site ever
I'm not sure about worst, but I'm confused as to how is that comment anti-semitic whatsoever? That's a bold claim to make.... Sounds like kind of like when people call Rep. Omar anti-semitic because she's critical of Israel...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development