HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Is there a problem with relations with the Metis? Didn't they win the lottery a few years ago with the SCC decision?
I meant that if the Macdonald government had allowed the Metis to own their land and continue with their government and have the settlers assimilate into the Metis culture there was the potential of much less problems today. Then they wouldn't of had to take the government to court.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 12:25 AM

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 12:47 AM

It is quite interesting that - barring some catastrophic event - a few countries like Canada will have the control over its population levels as an easily controllable immigration target of government.

Other places like Japan and South Korea pretty much are at the whim of their fertility rates. In these cases, the demographic shifts look much more daunting.

The next 50 years will be interesting.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
It is quite interesting that - barring some catastrophic event - a few countries like Canada will have the control over its population levels as an easily controllable immigration target of government.

Other places like Japan and South Korea pretty much are at the whim of their fertility rates. In these cases, the demographic shifts look much more daunting.

The next 50 years will be interesting.
Japan's population is falling and expected to continue falling for the rest of this century, I believe.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Japan's population is falling and expected to continue falling for the rest of this century, I believe.
That's exactly what I meant. It will be unprecedented in the history of the world to have a population aging at the rate it is and also declining.

How they cope with that change will be interesting.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
That's exactly what I meant. It will be unprecedented in the history of the world to have a population aging at the rate it is and also declining.

How they cope with that change will be interesting.
I don't get the sense that there is any particular degree of concern coming out of Japan... i.e. they'd rather live with the population downturn than start letting foreigners settle there.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I don't get the sense that there is any particular degree of concern coming out of Japan... i.e. they'd rather live with the population downturn than start letting foreigners settle there.
The number of foreigners living in Japan remains modest but has been growing for a number of years now, no?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 1:32 PM

Quote:
The number of foreigners living in Japan remains modest but has been growing for a number of years now, no?
I did a lot of reasearch a few years ago as I was interested to move to Japan, at least for a few years. Unless things have changed since then, the only job opportunities for foreigners in Japan other than working at embassies/consulates was to teach English. That was something like 99% of the job opportunities for foreigners. Even foreigners with a decent knowledge of Japanese could not land other jobs. The lack of job opportunities is certainly an issue for whoever is interested to move to Japan. That being said, maybe things are starting to change.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Not so much concern for ordinary people, but quite a concern for government. Elderly citizens require a lot more social services and pay less taxes than their working age counterparts.

But yes, the cultural vibe is that out of the 2 choices, population decline is the preferred option.

Quote:
My understanding is that it has been growing, but in a very limited fashion. They've always been viewed as a 'temporary' solution to filling holes in the low-end labour market, so they have barriers to becoming citizens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
I did a lot of reasearch a few years ago as I was interested to move to Japan, at least for a few years. Unless things have changed since then, the only job opportunities for foreigners in Japan other than working at embassies/consulates was to teach English. That was something like 99% of the job opportunities for foreigners. Even foreigners with a decent knowledge of Japanese could not land other jobs. The lack of job opportunities is certainly an issue for whoever is interested to move to Japan. That being said, maybe things are starting to change.
I believe that one will have the best chance at obtaining employment in Japan via a foreign company operating in Japan, not a domestic one.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada