HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
Do you mean more?
Whoopsie daisy. Not enough coffee that day.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 2:16 AM

Royal Assent was given today to the implementing legislation that will allow the GofC to ratify the Trans Pacific Partnership free trade agreement. Assuming that ratification takes place quickly, it will make Canada one of the six States Parties needed to bring the TPP into force.

Last edited by kwoldtimer; Oct 26, 2018 at 2:46 AM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Likely, yes. But I do wonder how long the Libs can persist in their current form. They will undoubtedly devour themselves before long and either be forced to shift back to the Centre-Left or rebrand themselves as a social justice party.
You should spend less time on social media if this is what you actually believe.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 6:30 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Things are looking up.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 12:21 AM

So Trudeau is scared of facing Singh in parliament?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
You should spend less time on social media if this is what you actually believe.
Trudeau and Wynne are clearly SJWs or, at the very least, playing a very dangerous social justice game. Case in point, their obsession with group identity, diversity, equity, etc.

That has impacted how some Canadians view the party and risks alienating voters as they cozy up to the radical fringe. And in doing this, I believe, he risks driving the party into the ground.

Hey, if Trudeau changes his tune and starts to act like an adult, then I'll come back into the fold. But right now he's not speaking to me or to millions of other centre-left types, so we're adrift looking for safe harbour elsewhere...

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 12:45 AM
Jos Connaissant

Quote:
Trudeau and Wynne are clearly SJWs or, at the very least, playing a very dangerous social justice game. Case in point, their obsession with group identity, diversity, equity, etc.

That has impacted how some Canadians view the party and risks alienating voters as they cozy up to the radical fringe. And in doing this, I believe, he risks driving the party into the ground.

Hey, if Trudeau changes his tune and starts to act like an adult, then I'll come back into the fold. But right now he's not speaking to me or to millions of other centre-left types, so we're adrift looking for safe harbour elsewhere...
I think this is very important.

The left needs to pay attention to this.

Otherwise it leads us to stuff like Trump.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 12:51 AM
Editor

It's one thing to be an advocate for rights and dignity of typically disadvantaged people (or what the hysterical wingnuts call "SJWs"), but to do it while also selling weapons to Saudi Arabia, and expressing satisfaction at the election of a militant fascist in Brazil so we can violate their indigenous people and rape their land for profit?

Say what you want about Kathleen Wynne, but she was nowhere near as hypocritically vile and profit driven as Justin Trudeau has proven himself to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Of course not! He just doesn't feel it's appropriate for Burnaby South to have an MP any time soon. And sure, calling a by-election for one vacant seat but not another is something we've never seen done before, but Trudeau is groundbreaking! I mean, come on! It's 2018!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 12:55 AM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

But this phenomenon works both ways. If you go from Trudeau and Wynne to Trump, where do we go after Trump? Who is even more of an SJW than Trudeau and Wynne? Politics oscillates from one side to the other and we're starting to oscillate pretty far from the centre at times. America is about to take a pretty hard swing to the left, and Canada will follow them eventually. If anything, the right should be pleased that Trudeau hasn't been as far left as he could have been; his current platform gives them the ability to say "See, we'll deliver these same policies, but without the social justice you despise!"

They wouldn't be able to make that case if he'd actually delivered things like electoral reform, pharmacare, free education, workers rights, a principled stand on human rights instead of profit driven exceptions to them, etc. Justin Trudeau is who Andrew Scheer would be if Andrew Scheer gave a fuck about women.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 12:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I fail to see how anybody in the federal government is "cozying up to a radical fringe". For serious. Those kind of comments actually confuse the hell out of me because I have no idea where they're coming from.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 12:57 AM
Jos Connaissant

AFAIK the JT Liberals have definitely not applauded the Bolsonaro victory. He even got less than the usual congratulations.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 12:58 AM

Kathleen Wynne also had very little to do with the SJW mindset. She was very much "old left"--about expanding the state to provide more social services, like the way leftist politicians of the 1950s and 1960s did. I mean look at her signature policies--hiking the minimum wage, increasing workers rights, more generous post-secondary assistance for low and middle income people, expanding rent control, expanding the scope of public health care, infrastructure development, etc.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 1:11 AM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
Kathleen Wynne also had very little to do with the SJW mindset. She was very much "old left"--about expanding the state to provide more social services, like the way leftist politicians of the 1950s and 1960s did. I mean look at her signature policies--hiking the minimum wage, increasing workers rights, more generous post-secondary assistance for low and middle income people, expanding rent control, expanding the scope of public health care, infrastructure development, etc.
I asked this in another thread: what makes Trudeau and Wynne SJWs, and what is it about Ford and Scheer that represents a reversal of the SJWs policies they implemented?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 1:12 AM
Editor

Quote:
AFAIK the JT Liberals have definitely not applauded the Bolsonaro victory. He even got less than the usual congratulations.
That's true, but our country's media (especially CBC) has been pushing the idea that Bolsonaro is "good for Canadian business", and we all know the CBC is just the media arm of the Liberal party, right?

That's what the non-SJWs keep telling me. They're not... wrong, are they?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 1:20 AM
Haru Urara

Quote:
It's tough for the Libs. A by-election in BC is going to be the focus of a couple of policy points the Liberals probably don't want to see play out right now (pipelines and electoral reform). I believe there was talk about the Libs in Ottawa not wanting run a candidate against Singh but the local Liberal constituency insisted on running one.

That and they're probably nervous about giving Singh a platform to get more exposure by being in the house.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
It's tough for the Libs. A by-election in BC is going to be the focus of a couple of policy points the Liberals probably don't want to see play out right now (pipelines and electoral reform). I believe there was talk about the Libs in Ottawa not wanting run a candidate against Singh but the local Liberal constituency insisted on running one.

That and they're probably nervous about giving Singh a platform to get more exposure by being in the house.
More like enjoying their ability to deny him the opportunity. It is good to be King!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 1:31 AM
Jos Connaissant

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
That's true, but our country's media (especially CBC) has been pushing the idea that Bolsonaro is "good for Canadian business", and we all know the CBC is just the media arm of the Liberal party, right?

That's what the non-SJWs keep telling me. They're not... wrong, are they?
This is not the messaging I have been getting from the feds.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 2:37 AM

Quote:
More likely the Liberals are afraid of whoever replaces Singh pulling a Doug Ford. A delayed by election denies the NDP sufficient time to find a new leader in advance of the election. Gerald Butts may be evil, but he is brilliant.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
More likely the Liberals are afraid of whoever replaces Singh pulling a Doug Ford. A delayed by election denies the NDP sufficient time to find a new leader in advance of the election. Gerald Butts may be evil, but he is brilliant.
Even if the NDP wanted to replace Singh, they can't afford a leadership race. I wouldn't see losing the byelection as obliging Singh to resign the leadership. He's a go for 2019, for better or worse.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Even if the NDP wanted to replace Singh, they can't afford a leadership race. I wouldn't see losing the byelection as obliging Singh to resign the leadership. He's a go for 2019, for better or worse.
Singh might wear even more expensive suits than does Trudeau. Other than that, he is the biggest gift to the Liberal re-election campaign.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada