HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     
Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #61  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 3:41 PM
Handro Handro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Chicago
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
I was in a bad mood last night when I typed that.
But you totally got me because I've typed it a a lot in the past couple of months (just visited in June) and I've spelled it wrong every. Time. Just can't figure it out lmao
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #62  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 3:45 PM
Handro Handro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Chicago
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
True. We are talking about skylines only, however, somebody earlier mentioned the hills of Cincinnati and Pittsburgh factoring in to the overall appeal of the skyline. <--I'm not saying that shouldn't be a factor, but if it is, then the mountain backdrops of the Phoenix skyline shouldn't be excluded, while the hills or waterfront of other cities is included.
That's true, but even with the gorgeous mountain setting the phoenix skyline leaves a lot to be desired. Almost makes it even more disappointing--that nearly unmatched natural setting and they just plopped a few blah, squat buildings. Outside of the actual skyline, I do like the southwest aesthetic though. Obadno posted some good pics that highlight it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #63  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 3:46 PM
lio45 lio45 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colebrook, NH (as well as QC & FL)
Posts: 25,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Yeah, Pittsburgh really sucks... it's such a declining place. It's no wonder that it has such an awful reputation here on this forum.
What this forum thinks and what average Americans like are two entirely different things.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #64  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 3:49 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is offline
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 21,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
But you totally got me because I've typed it a a lot in the past couple of months (just visited in June) and I've spelled it wrong every. Time. Just can't figure it out lmao
i've always broken it down into 3 words to help me remember how to spell it correctly:

cin

cin

nati
__________________
He has to go.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #65  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 3:50 PM
LAsam LAsam is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Playa del Rey, CA
Posts: 1,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
But you totally got me because I've typed it a a lot in the past couple of months (just visited in June) and I've spelled it wrong every. Time. Just can't figure it out lmao
Just think of it as three parts... Cin cin nati...

I have to say, the fact that LA hasn't been mentioned on this thread shows just how far we've come!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #66  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 3:50 PM
LAsam LAsam is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Playa del Rey, CA
Posts: 1,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i've always broken it down into 3 words to help me remember how to spell it correctly:

cin

cin

nati
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #67  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 4:17 PM
JAYNYC JAYNYC is offline
Live From The 212
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Can't think of any that make me cry one way or another, but I'm perturbed by the amount of people here who can't spell my hometown's name correctly. There's two "n"'s and one "t" in Cincinnati.
I can understand the misspelling of Cincinnati.

What I can't understand is the frequent misspelling of "Phoenix" as "Pheonix".
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #68  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 4:20 PM
homebucket homebucket is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The Bay
Posts: 776
I don't see why you can't include natural settings (mountains, hills, rivers, bays, with accompanying bridges) as part of an evaluation of a skyline. Are you supposed to squint as if to ignore what was there for many years before humans settled and built on that land?

That being said, you have cities who have taken advantage of this, like Pittsburgh, Seattle, SF, Vancouver, HK. Whereas other cities haven't... like Phoenix. For the 5th most populous city in the US and 11th largest metro in the US it has a pretty woeful skyline, even after taking into account the beautiful surrounding scenery and sunsets.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #69  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 4:40 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
I don't see why you can't include natural settings (mountains, hills, rivers, bays, with accompanying bridges) as part of an evaluation of a skyline. Are you supposed to squint as if to ignore what was there for many years before humans settled and built on that land?

That being said, you have cities who have taken advantage of this, like Pittsburgh, Seattle, SF, Vancouver, HK. Whereas other cities haven't... like Phoenix. For the 5th most populous city in the US and 11th largest metro in the US it has a pretty woeful skyline, even after taking into account the beautiful surrounding scenery and sunsets.
Yeah I keep calling Phoenix and writing emails asking why it isn’t different than it is. Never get a straight answer out of that guy.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #70  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 5:17 PM
Denvergotback Denvergotback is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Provo
Posts: 193
I'm sorry Obadno, I used to live in Phoenix and I love the city, but lets face it, the skyline blows. it looks like the office complex in Denver, DTC, and even that might have more office space than downtown PHX...

Again I love the city of Phoenix, but posting beautiful pictures of the city in every other thread (or every thread that anyone mentions PHX) isn't going to change anyones opinions. Angles can make any city look great, angles can also make any city look bad... PHX just isn't a great urban center and I get it, your defensive and you love the city and I get that, but fighting everyones opinions just isn't going to help/change anything.

Obviously most people on here live in or have been to cities with much more dramatic skylines or urban centers, otherwise there wouldn't be a majority of people who disagree with you so much.

So not bashing phoenix, but just being realistic without sounding like a homer...


Sorry, I know I sound like a dick, but I find it frustrating that half the threads are just you being extremely defensive for pages upon pages without making any progress...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #71  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 5:26 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvergotback View Post
I'm sorry Obadno, I used to live in Phoenix and I love the city, but lets face it, the skyline blows. it looks like the office complex in Denver, DTC, and even that might have more office space than downtown PHX...

Again I love the city of Phoenix, but posting beautiful pictures of the city in every other thread (or every thread that anyone mentions PHX) isn't going to change anyones opinions. Angles can make any city look great, angles can also make any city look bad... PHX just isn't a great urban center and I get it, your defensive and you love the city and I get that, but fighting everyones opinions just isn't going to help/change anything.

Obviously most people on here live in or have been to cities with much more dramatic skylines or urban centers, otherwise there wouldn't be a majority of people who disagree with you so much.

So not bashing phoenix, but just being realistic without sounding like a homer...


Sorry, I know I sound like a dick, but I find it frustrating that half the threads are just you being extremely defensive for pages upon pages without making any progress...
You think you are going to demoralize me, get outta here you joker
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #72  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 5:30 PM
Denvergotback Denvergotback is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Provo
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
You think you are going to demoralize me, get outta here you joker
Not trying to demoralize, just trying to get a point across that none of this is ever going to change anyones opinions, and nor should it, people should always develop opinions based off of their own personal experiences and not by other peoples words, especially when extremely biased.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #73  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 5:38 PM
RCDC's Avatar
RCDC RCDC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DC, an eruptive vent of wealth
Posts: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
I voted for Washington DC. Literally no skyscrapers within the DC borders. WTF kind of city has no skyscrapers. Get a life DC. Dumb ass city with no skyscrapers. Hello this is skyscraperpage for a reason not shortcrappypage com. So I voted for DC to their their hot mess in order and build at least one tall building over 1000 feet.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #74  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 5:41 PM
edale edale is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 460
I basically consider Obadno a troll at this point. Either that, or he's completely incapable of having honest, intelligent conversation. The defensiveness reeks of insecurity.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #75  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 6:45 PM
jtown,man jtown,man is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Norfolk, Va
Posts: 2,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
I can understand the misspelling of Cincinnati.

What I can't understand is the frequent misspelling of "Phoenix" as "Pheonix".
Really? I pronounce the cities name as FE O NIX So PHE O NIX sounds right to me. Obviously, it's not. But I don't understand how you couldn't understand that?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #76  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 6:48 PM
jtown,man jtown,man is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Norfolk, Va
Posts: 2,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvergotback View Post
I'm sorry Obadno, I used to live in Phoenix and I love the city, but lets face it, the skyline blows. it looks like the office complex in Denver, DTC, and even that might have more office space than downtown PHX...

Again I love the city of Phoenix, but posting beautiful pictures of the city in every other thread (or every thread that anyone mentions PHX) isn't going to change anyones opinions. Angles can make any city look great, angles can also make any city look bad... PHX just isn't a great urban center and I get it, your defensive and you love the city and I get that, but fighting everyones opinions just isn't going to help/change anything.

Obviously most people on here live in or have been to cities with much more dramatic skylines or urban centers, otherwise there wouldn't be a majority of people who disagree with you so much.

So not bashing phoenix, but just being realistic without sounding like a homer...


Sorry, I know I sound like a dick, but I find it frustrating that half the threads are just you being extremely defensive for pages upon pages without making any progress...
I actually quite enjoyed some of those pictures. A lot. Yeah, the skyline is lame. But the natural setting does add something. It was relevant for this thread IMO
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #77  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 6:52 PM
edale edale is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
I actually quite enjoyed some of those pictures. A lot. Yeah, the skyline is lame. But the natural setting does add something. It was relevant for this thread IMO
Not when the thread is about skylines, and half the pictures didn't show a skyline at all. I think natural features can enhance a skyline, and they very well could in Phoenix's case, but just posting pictures of sunsets and cacti and mountains without any buildings/skyscrapers present does nothing to make a case for an attractive skyline.

Los Angeles, for example, has the San Gabriel mountains as the backdrop of the skyline when looking from the south. They undeniably (in my opinion) add to the appeal of the skyline, especially when there is snow and the lower hills are bright green with vegetation. That doesn't mean that showing pics of Mt. Baldy and random canyons would do anything to advance that opinion...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #78  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 6:53 PM
JAYNYC JAYNYC is offline
Live From The 212
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Really? I pronounce the cities name as FE O NIX So PHE O NIX sounds right to me. Obviously, it's not. But I don't understand how you couldn't understand that?
I fully understand and agree with what you're saying.

My point is that - on paper, or on screen - "Cincinatti" doesn't necessarily LOOK as visually wrong/weird (to me) as "Pheonix" does.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #79  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 6:54 PM
JAYNYC JAYNYC is offline
Live From The 212
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
not when the thread is about skylines, and half the pictures didn't show a skyline at all. I think natural features can enhance a skyline, and they very well could in phoenix's case, but just posting pictures of sunsets and cacti and mountains without any buildings/skyscrapers present does nothing to make a case for an attractive skyline.
+1
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #80  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 7:00 PM
jtown,man jtown,man is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Norfolk, Va
Posts: 2,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
I fully understand and agree with what you're saying.

My point is that - on paper, or on screen - "Cincinatti" doesn't necessarily LOOK as visually wrong/weird (to me) as "Pheonix" does.
Gotcha
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:13 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.