HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     
Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #21  
Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 4:16 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is online now
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 21,283
general economy chatter moved to the general discussion thread: https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/sho...d.php?t=208431
__________________
He has to go.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #22  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 8:47 PM
rivernorthlurker rivernorthlurker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 82
Cirrus Listings

Whelp, that was fast.



Yes I read Zerohedge, don't judge me.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #23  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 9:17 PM
rivernorthlurker rivernorthlurker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 82
Cirrus Condos

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #24  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 3:51 PM
cozy cozy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 265
^ "A natural staircase leads directly to Chicago's lakefront & riverwalk"

What? Lol. Weird to call a staircase natural, and that staircase is on the other side of lakeshore east.. Why not put renderings of the ... nevermind. You guys know what I mean. Funny stuff
__________________
Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #25  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 6:29 PM
HomrQT's Avatar
HomrQT HomrQT is offline
All-American City Boy
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Forest Park / Uptown, Chicago
Posts: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozy View Post
^ "A natural staircase leads directly to Chicago's lakefront & riverwalk"

What? Lol. Weird to call a staircase natural, and that staircase is on the other side of lakeshore east.. Why not put renderings of the ... nevermind. You guys know what I mean. Funny stuff
Right? Wouldn't a "natural staircase" be like stacked rocks or something?
__________________
1. 111 W 57 - Manhattan, New York - SHoP Architects - Photo
2. 9 Dekalb Ave - Brooklyn, New York - SHoP Architects - Photo
3. One Chicago Square - Chicago - HPA and Goettsch Partners - Photo
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #26  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 7:34 PM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,033
Curious if Magellan/LendLease are advertising this on 8chan and Sputnik as well?

I like the interiors generally. Looks good.

Just wish Magellan didn't hold this seemingly intractable belief that a residential high-rise needs balconies to move units in Chicago. It's just not a thing.

Also, that sub-9' ceilings don't hinder the movement of units........I puzzle over that one re Magellan as well....
__________________
It's simple, really - try not to design or build trash.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Aug 21, 2019 at 10:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #27  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 9:31 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 17,638
Quick question:

Why is construction about to start so quickly on a condo tower? Don't they usually need a certain amount of presales before financing?
__________________
Eat less
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #28  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 12:47 AM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,033
^ I was just going to comment on that very thing.

It is unusual. It could be that LendLease is simply not doing the formulaic Chicago condo tower financing here. Internally financed? Seeking appreciably lower LTV? Foreign debt source? Vista did their own thing as well - they launched with presumably no or very little in the way of pre-sales (relative to typical Chicago deals).

LendLease is also a global development behemoth.
Development pipeline of AUD$71 bil as of end-2018.
Not your typical outfit that's putting up a Chicago condo tower, to say the least.
__________________
It's simple, really - try not to design or build trash.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #29  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 1:27 AM
BonoboZill4's Avatar
BonoboZill4 BonoboZill4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: PingPong
Posts: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^ I was just going to comment on that very thing.

It is unusual. It could be that LendLease is simply not doing the formulaic Chicago condo tower financing here. Internally financed? Seeking appreciably lower LTV? Foreign debt source? Vista did their own thing as well - they launched with presumably no or very little in the way of pre-sales (relative to typical Chicago deals).

LendLease is also a global development behemoth.
Development pipeline of AUD$71 bil as of end-2018.
Not your typical outfit that's putting up a Chicago condo tower, to say the least.
Perhaps they leveraged the rest of LSE's success and got their financing off that sort of argument with a bank? I could see the argument of it being a money machine with the location and history... if that's something that is even possible to argue that is lol. Otherwise it's probably like you said, internally financed.
__________________
I'm here for a long time, not a good time
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #30  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 2:49 AM
Freefall Freefall is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 158
What will finish first, these buildings or the Navy Pier flyover?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #31  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 11:49 AM
maru2501's Avatar
maru2501 maru2501 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: chicago
Posts: 1,500
wow.. it will have the views
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #32  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 4:18 AM
aaron38's Avatar
aaron38 aaron38 is offline
312
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Palatine
Posts: 3,782
On financing, let's be honest. The only thing that will drop land values at that spot in Chicago is turmoil to the point that banks get bailed out or it doesn't matter.
So let it ride.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #33  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 6:01 PM
Tom In Chicago's Avatar
Tom In Chicago Tom In Chicago is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sick City
Posts: 6,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Quick question:

Why is construction about to start so quickly on a condo tower? Don't they usually need a certain amount of presales before financing?
They only have permits to work on the foundation up to the 3rd floor - or what I assume is upper Harbor Drive - the common components of both buildings. . .

They could continue to build the Cascade building while pre-leasing continues at Cirrus. . . I'd be surprised if they built both towers at the same time, but it's not impossible. . .

How or when they're financing it is a question I can't answer. . .

. . .
__________________
Tom in Chicago
. . .
Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #34  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 6:07 PM
BonoboZill4's Avatar
BonoboZill4 BonoboZill4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: PingPong
Posts: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
They only have permits to work on the foundation up to the 3rd floor - or what I assume is upper Harbor Drive - the common components of both buildings. . .

They could continue to build the Cascade building while pre-leasing continues at Cirrus. . . I'd be surprised if they built both towers at the same time, but it's not impossible. . .

How or when they're financing it is a question I can't answer. . .

. . .
Unless my memory is totally failing me, they've been stating they'd build both simultaneously for a while now. I see no reason to not expect both to be built. It's not like we don't see the initial permit of foundation to third floor happen all the time on other buildings that don't have a second tower anyway. No reason that it should indicate them not building both at the same time to me
__________________
I'm here for a long time, not a good time
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #35  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 6:16 PM
LouisVanDerWright LouisVanDerWright is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,292
Given their string of highly successful rental projects (Gino's, wpw, coast, etc) it's probable that Magaellan has enough cash to do whatever the fuck they want here. They probably have nine figures in cash at any given time just marinating in a bank account. They can put up 100% of the costs of this tower, the bank is probably financing both buildings off their rental resume and cash pile as a line of credit.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #36  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 6:27 PM
Tom In Chicago's Avatar
Tom In Chicago Tom In Chicago is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sick City
Posts: 6,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
Unless my memory is totally failing me, they've been stating they'd build both simultaneously for a while now. I see no reason to not expect both to be built. It's not like we don't see the initial permit of foundation to third floor happen all the time on other buildings that don't have a second tower anyway. No reason that it should indicate them not building both at the same time to me
I'm not suggesting that they're /not/ going to build the buildings. . . I'm suggesting that they have yet to file permits to do so. . . I'm sure they'll find the money, but I could see a very realistic scenario where they build Cascade before Cirrus. . .

. . .
__________________
Tom in Chicago
. . .
Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #37  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 10:04 PM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Given their string of highly successful rental projects (Gino's, wpw, coast, etc) it's probable that Magaellan has enough cash to do whatever the fuck they want here. They probably have nine figures in cash at any given time just marinating in a bank account. They can put up 100% of the costs of this tower, the bank is probably financing both buildings off their rental resume and cash pile as a line of credit.
LendLease is in all probability the real equity money here.
__________________
It's simple, really - try not to design or build trash.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #38  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 3:15 AM
LouisVanDerWright LouisVanDerWright is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
LendLease is in all probability the real equity money here.
Ok so with lend lease involved they have probably ten figures liquid. Point being the banks don't give a shit because they are probably funding like 40% of the project...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #39  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 3:44 AM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,033
^ It's still a legitimate question on financing.
Banks generally give a shit.

There aren't too many Corus's (remember them?) left out there.

A bank that's making lots of news when it comes to condo/apartment/large scale construction financing in general, and with respect to their exposure and practices is OZK. They probably warrant enhanced scrutiny.
__________________
It's simple, really - try not to design or build trash.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #40  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 8:33 PM
LouisVanDerWright LouisVanDerWright is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,292
U/C

Case on site and in the ground...
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:03 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.