HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     
Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #101  
Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 2:11 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 16,553
edit
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #102  
Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 10:10 PM
ScreamingViking's Avatar
ScreamingViking ScreamingViking is offline
Ham-Bur-gher
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Burlington
Posts: 2,801
More images of Hamilton's John Sopinka Courthouse
Opened as the main post office in 1936, expanded/renovated and re-opened in 1999 for court use.


Source


Source


Source


Source



Wentworth County Courthouse (1958)
This was used by McMaster University's Centre for Continuing Education after Sopinka opened across the street. But it was reclaimed by the province and after a reno it's now back to provincial court use.


Source


Source


Source



Unified Family Court (1913)
This was originally the main branch of the Hamilton Public Library, repurposed after the new library attached to Jackson Square opened in 1980. This is on the same block as city hall, northeast corner.


Source


Source



Central Library (1980)
This is the building that replaced the 1913 Carnegie Library, now 39 years old. The pic is post-reno, which was done in conjunction with the farmer's market just below and east of it, between 2009-2011 or so.


Source



Hydro building (1950)
I've seen a few posts with hydro buildings in other cities, thought this was worth a look. It's now one of the offices of Alectra Utilities, formerly the Hamilton Hydro-Electric Commission and then Horizon Utilities before amalgamations happened. It lies on the northeast edge of downtown, adjacent to what's been a parking lot wasteland for decades...


Source


Source


Source



Also notable, though not a public building per se: Fire Station No. 1 (1913) is just south of the hydro building.


Source


Source


Source

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Sep 13, 2019 at 2:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #103  
Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 10:14 PM
ScreamingViking's Avatar
ScreamingViking ScreamingViking is offline
Ham-Bur-gher
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Burlington
Posts: 2,801
Burlington city hall (1965)
A 1980s expansion added most of the two to three floors that now surround the original 8-storey tower.


Source


Source

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Sep 12, 2019 at 10:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #104  
Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 11:24 PM
ScreamingViking's Avatar
ScreamingViking ScreamingViking is offline
Ham-Bur-gher
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Burlington
Posts: 2,801
Some other notable historical municipal buildings that are still standing in Hamilton. These were town halls prior to amalgamation of the city with its five regional suburbs in 2001.


Dundas (1849)
Still used as a municipal service centre.


Source


Source


Source


East Flamborough Township Hall, in Waterdown (1857)
It later became a library until 2015, then renovated for private office space.


Source


Source


Ancaster (1871)
Now rented out for meetings, weddings, and other events.


Source


Source

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Sep 12, 2019 at 11:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #105  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 12:26 PM
stevanford1's Avatar
stevanford1 stevanford1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Burlington city hall (1965)
A 1980s expansion added most of the two to three floors that now surround the original 8-storey tower.


Source


Source
I used to hate Burlington City Hall, but I have recently come to like it.
__________________
Never Half-ass Two Things, Whole-ass One Thing. - Ron Swanson
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #106  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 1:36 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 24,165
^ It's very nice... that would have been a pretty bold architectural statement for a smaller city to make back in 1965.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #107  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 1:59 PM
megadude megadude is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: N. York/Bram/Mark/Sauga/Burl/Oak/DT
Posts: 982
I like passing through the small DTs of Dundas and Ancaster. Waterdown's is very small. But all three are in close proximity to the Escarpment and some cool windy roads so always makes for an interesting drive.

I love Burlington's DT. Oakville's is more "charming", but Burlington's is closer to a real DT so I prefer walking around there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #108  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 2:53 PM
niwell's Avatar
niwell niwell is offline
sick transit, gloria
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Brockton Village, Toronto
Posts: 8,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
I like passing through the small DTs of Dundas and Ancaster. Waterdown's is very small. But all three are in close proximity to the Escarpment and some cool windy roads so always makes for an interesting drive.

I love Burlington's DT. Oakville's is more "charming", but Burlington's is closer to a real DT so I prefer walking around there.

Yeah, I've long maintained that Burlington's downtown is probably the best of the suburban municipalities in the GTHA. It's a bit undersized for a standalone city of that size, but not nearly so much as most of the others, and it actually has a substantial amount of both employment and residential space. You need the combination to have an actual functioning downtown, not just a quaint retail / restaurant strip.
__________________
Check out my pics of Johannesburg
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #109  
Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 6:35 AM
ScreamingViking's Avatar
ScreamingViking ScreamingViking is offline
Ham-Bur-gher
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Burlington
Posts: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Yeah, I've long maintained that Burlington's downtown is probably the best of the suburban municipalities in the GTHA. It's a bit undersized for a standalone city of that size, but not nearly so much as most of the others, and it actually has a substantial amount of both employment and residential space. You need the combination to have an actual functioning downtown, not just a quaint retail / restaurant strip.
I disagree that employment is "substantial" in Burlington's core. There are a few small office and mixed use buildings in downtown B-Town, and many old homes converted to commercial/office use, but there could be so much more. In Halton most of the employment is along the QEW corridor, in Burlington and Oakville (check out the employment surveys; they map things at a municipal level but unfortunately don't break down sub-municipal areas).

People may look at the towers and see a "downtown" but as an employment node there's much to do yet. Most of the talk lately has been about fighting tall condo towers and supporting local retail, but getting more offices in the core seems to be a non-issue I wish city council would focus attention toward.

I've lived on the edge of downtown for more than 13 years and aside from new residential developments and some change in restaurant/retail the office component hasn't seemed to keep up. This city can do better that way.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #110  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 2:12 PM
davidivivid's Avatar
davidivivid davidivivid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ville de Québec City
Posts: 2,503
Tried to find a thread about Canada's schools and couldn't find one so I thought I'd drop this here. New school in Métis-sur-Mer, Gaspésie by Stéphane Groleau photographe.













https://www.facebook.com/Stephane.Gr...epa=SEARCH_BOX
__________________
"I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I lost two weeks" Joe E. Lewis
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #111  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 2:53 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 17,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I disagree that employment is "substantial" in Burlington's core. There are a few small office and mixed use buildings in downtown B-Town, and many old homes converted to commercial/office use, but there could be so much more. In Halton most of the employment is along the QEW corridor, in Burlington and Oakville (check out the employment surveys; they map things at a municipal level but unfortunately don't break down sub-municipal areas).

People may look at the towers and see a "downtown" but as an employment node there's much to do yet. Most of the talk lately has been about fighting tall condo towers and supporting local retail, but getting more offices in the core seems to be a non-issue I wish city council would focus attention toward.

I've lived on the edge of downtown for more than 13 years and aside from new residential developments and some change in restaurant/retail the office component hasn't seemed to keep up. This city can do better that way.
I prefer Burlington's downtown however, Oshawa's feels more like the prototypical downtown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #112  
Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 8:00 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 21,854
I thought this photo of Halifax's city hall (1887) was interesting. It shows the "moat" between the building and the square in front (Grand Parade):


Source


The building is built on a hill. It's 3 storeys on the Argyle side and 4 on the Barrington side. There were also stables built under the Grand Parade; the entrance is still there on the Barrington side.
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #113  
Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 8:31 PM
White Pine White Pine is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 356
Pembroke, ON Courthouse

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #114  
Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 8:49 PM
White Pine White Pine is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 356
Ottawa:

Not sure what this one's called



Bank of Canada















Reply With Quote
     
     
  #115  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 1:22 PM
stevanford1's Avatar
stevanford1 stevanford1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,599
Ah yes, this thread wouldn’t be complete without Ottawa! The first ones called the Confederation Building.
__________________
Never Half-ass Two Things, Whole-ass One Thing. - Ron Swanson
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #116  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 1:57 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Jos Connaissant
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vieux Canada
Posts: 40,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Pine View Post

This is the main downtown Ottawa headquarters of the Department of National Defence. It is along the Rideau Canal and across the street from the south entrances of the Rideau Centre.
__________________
Got you thinking
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #117  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 1:59 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Jos Connaissant
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vieux Canada
Posts: 40,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Pine View Post

Behind the island in the middle is the fairly new Jim Flaherty Building which is home to the federal Department of Finance.

On the left you can make out a bit of the more classic Lord Elgin Hotel.
__________________
Got you thinking
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #118  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 2:03 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Jos Connaissant
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vieux Canada
Posts: 40,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Pine View Post


This is the Connaught Building, which happens to be the downtown Ottawa home of the Canada Revenue Agency. It lies at the southern end of Sussex Drive between the Byward Market and the Château Laurier.

Two other buildings further down on Sussex have similar architecture.

This is the Royal Canadian Mint:
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4315...7i16384!8i8192


And this is the National Research Council:
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4382...7i16384!8i8192
__________________
Got you thinking
Reply With Quote
     
     
End

Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:50 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.