HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.

View Poll Results: Which party do you plan to vote for in the 2019 federal election?
Conservative Party 73 25.70%
Liberal Party 119 41.90%
NDP 43 15.14%
Green Party 27 9.51%
Peoples Party of Canada 22 7.75%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 2:21 PM
Jos Connaissant

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post

IMO none of Bernier's flaws would be grave enough to cause a loss of support anywhere that already supports Scheer (usually strongholds); .
Especially since we would have a bit of a "Bernier Lite" right now due to the moderating effect of being in the belly of an established machine.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 2:23 PM
Jos Connaissant

Quote:

Too bad, CPC's choice. It's not even the greatest such mistake in that same time frame - NDP deciding to kick Mulcair to the curb was much worse.
Ironically a big reason for Bernier's defeat was the mobilization of Quebec dairy farmers in support of Scheer, due to the issue of supply management.

And my guess is that none of those rural areas of Quebec have a snowball's chance in hell of electing Conservatives on Oct. 21.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 2:32 PM

I have no idea right now - I'll have to see the party platforms first.

That being said, if Scheer loses, I can't see him being CPC party leader very long. He gives me a John Turner-ish vibe in the sense that I don't see them winning with him at the helm (not politics-wise, obviously).

That being said, most of the parties make me vaguely nauseous and I find myself more looking about who is the least worst option instead of the best one.

If the Liberals had Chrystia Freeland as leader or something along those lines, I'd be more inclined to look upon them favourably.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 2:36 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
That being said, if Scheer loses, I can't see him being CPC party leader very long
That's exactly what Alberta premier Jason Kenney is banking on

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 2:42 PM

If Bernier had won the conservative party leadership, and the more odious policies he is now espousing with the ppc had been kept in check, I could see myself voting conservative. Bernier actually believes in free market values, unlike Scheer - and without those values the conservative party is utterly pointless. Under Scheer, the conservatives have all of the bad things about right wing politics with none of the good. Whereas Trudeau's liberals, while having some of the annoying (but not super bad) traits of the left, also has the good stuff about the left as well as some important good stuff from the right.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
That's exactly what Alberta premier Jason Kenney is banking on
Not saying you're wrong, but what is the theory there? I thought Kenney was just being a good party member and delaying all the unpopular stuff until after the federal election.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 2:53 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Not saying you're wrong, but what is the theory there? I thought Kenney was just being a good party member and delaying all the unpopular stuff until after the federal election.
Jason Kenney is a career politician and his #1 goal is to take down Justin Trudeau. I guarantee that if Sheer loses the leadership of the federal Conservatives Kenney will be in there like a dirty shirt.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 3:00 PM

Interesting how many people so far have mentioned they're among those who voted for Trudeau in 2015 but this time won't.

My second choice would be the Greens, I'm hoping they'll do pretty well by historical standards this time. Maybe I can get my gf to vote for them.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 3:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Jason Kenney is a career politician and his #1 goal is to take down Justin Trudeau. I guarantee that if Sheer loses the leadership of the federal Conservatives Kenney will be in there like a dirty shirt.
If Kenney ever become federal CPC leader, this will only harden the east/west divide in the country..........

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Interesting how many people so far have mentioned they're among those who voted for Trudeau in 2015 but this time won't.

My second choice would be the Greens, I'm hoping they'll do pretty well by historical standards this time. Maybe I can get my gf to vote for them.
I suspect Trudeau's popularity is waning because he backtracked on several of his electoral promises, the fact that the image he cultivated the opening days of his mandate grew stale quickly (trip to India, anyone?) or some combination of both.

I suspect it's more the former for left-leaning members and more the latter for right-leaning ones, but that's just a hunch.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 3:08 PM

Quote:
I shudder at the thought of Kenney as PM of Canada.

But how would that work? I agree he is a career politician, and he certainly is effective and knows what he is doing to get into power. But would he just abandon Alberta? I wouldn't necessarily put it past him, his work here is done, but it does seem unlikely, IMO.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 3:09 PM
Jos Connaissant

My vote won't change anything at all.

After a decade or so of illicit affairs with the Bloc Québécois (Richard Nadeau) and NDP (Françoise Boivin) my riding seems to have returned to the family home with a good old Liberal MP. My guess is that things will stay that way for a while.

Not a bad thing as our MP Steven McKinnon is an honest, hard-working MP. In addition to being a pretty nice guy.

My guess is that all of the Gatineau and area Liberal MPs are on pretty safe ground.

This area only ventures away from the Liberals when they're going through a long lonely soul-searching walk through the desert.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 3:11 PM
Jos Connaissant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
If Kenney ever become federal CPC leader, this will only harden the east/west divide in the country..........
He'd probably soften his stances on a number of things, to make himself more palatable to Ontarians at the very least. (Maybe only them...)

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 3:12 PM

Liberal, but not overly enthuasiatic about it. My general philosophy is to always vote for status quo unless the alternative is a clear improvement, and I fail to see any clear improvement with Scheer or Singh or May.

I live in Ottawa Centre - Catherine McKenna's riding - so the die is cast anyway. Normally Ottawa Centre is a red-orange swing seat but the NDP are just too weak to be a contender here. Heck, Greens might get second place here. Kind of a shame because I actually like the NDP candidate here.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 3:22 PM

My MP made it very easy not to vote for him, even though he will still get in. Michael Cooper.

Re Kenny up and leaving, Yup he will be gone in Sheer loses. He has no loyalty to Alberta. He just wants to get back to Ottawa.

We saw in Alberta how he changed his true beliefs to get elected then jumped right in and went hard line.

As for who I am going to vote FOR, that is up to my local candidates.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 4:03 PM

Liberal, the best chance of keeping that tool Sheer out not to mention giving Doug Ford even more power.
Source Toronto Sun

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 4:06 PM
of Canada

Quote:
So if Trudeau is elected JK leaves AB?

Win win.
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 4:10 PM

For the first time in my life, I’m either not going to vote, or I’m going to spoil my ballot. I’ve never seen such poor leadership across all major parties, and a complete abdication from the issues that (I think) really matter, namely cost disease in health, education, child care, infrastructure and housing and how to shift the economy to compete in a world of looming automation and radically different skills.

For the first time in my adult life I actually live in a riding where my vote would matter; Eglinton-Lawrence is a bit of a bellwether where the governing party wins by only a few thousand votes. Even so, I couldn’t care less.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 4:22 PM
Jos Connaissant

My guess is that even if Scheer loses big that Jason Kenney wouldn't leave the Alberta premiership right away.

I mean, he just won it last spring. It hasn't even been a year.

That would not look very good plus he doesn't have much to gain sitting in the Opposition right away and staying there for four years across from Justin Trudeau.

I'd see him sticking around Edmonton for a couple of years and then slowly working his way back into the federal fold in the lead up to the 2023 elections.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 4:22 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
Their candidate seems reasonable
Intriguing!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada