HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 3:51 AM
Mile High Guy

We did it! West Finals here we come!

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 9:21 PM
Robotic Construction

Lets look over the Lakers and Nuggets recent head-to-head games... Last season, the Lakers steamrolled the Nuggets in a regular season and playoff series sweeps. Denver was 0-8 against LA last year counting the playoffs.

This season, Denver was only 1-4 against the Lakers, but lets see what improvement might have been there...

2 of Denver's 3 losses went down to the wire, in games Denver at least gave themselves a chance to win. last season, they never even did that. Both those losses where Denver gave themselves a shot to win, were games Denver was missing at least one starting player. This raises the possibility that if healthy, they might have at least split the regular season series with the Lakers.

The one game Denver did win, the Nuggets held the Lakers to their 2nd lowest FG% in a game in Lakers team history. Only the 1958 Minnesota Lakers were held to a lower FG% in a single game.

After that game, the Lakers brushed it off, saying "it wasn't them, it was us, we just had a bad game." This tells me they don't respect the Nuggets, or acknowledge them as a formidable opponent. Why is this important? Because if you don't respect your enemy, your own arrogance will cause you to loose.

I have noticed the TNT guys have been saying they don't like how the Lakers are too arrogant and think they are so much better than everyone else, that they don't have to play as hard to win. This is exactly what I have observed as well. The Nuggets have as much talent and arguably better leadership and chemistry than LA. Denver owes the Lakers a series defeat. I think the Nuggets will pull off the upset.

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 5:01 AM

Nugs are doing pretty well it seems. If it comes down to a LA/Den final then I will definently pull for nugs. Dosent matter though Clevland will dominate either west team. I picked Clev early in the year to win it all, in the old dubunked NBA thread.

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 1:48 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Given Houston's play, even without Yao Ming, I'd say they have a pretty good shot of knocking off the Lakers anyhow!

Nugs vs. Rockets, anyone?

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 2:14 PM
Robotic Construction

I'm not willing to discount the possibility. The Nuggets aren't blowing Houston off either. I heard Melo, Billups and Karl all say they are preparing for Houston and the Lakers. Obviously the Lakers have the home court advantage, and seem to play best at home. I would give the Lakers at least a 60% chance to win game 7. I personally don't see them loosing it. They get arrogant when their backs aren't up against the wall, but they are up against the wall now, so they are going to "turn it on."

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 5:21 PM
BANNED

The rockets are running on full speed right now, and playing their hearts out to win. Unfortunately that can't continue forever, and a home game 7 for Kobe means the Lakers will probably run Houston out of the building.

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm for Denver in the west as of right now. I hate Crymelo more than anyone in the NBA, but Kenyon Martin is really growing on me, especially after watching him foul out in game 4 and just go sit down with no arguments, no anger, and no thuggery. That and George Karl gets respect for actually being able to coach that bunch of idiots.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 4:01 AM
no its not...

Kicking Butt Nuggets!

Way to regain your confidence and composure after Saturday's loss Nugs.....Tonight we ate the Lakers Lunch, Dinner today and breakfast tomorrow...Wow!

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 8:08 PM
Denver is the M/W Father!

Location: IN THE LAND OF MILK AND HONEY WHERE HOPS AND CANNABIS REIGN SUPREME!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Of The Park View Post
Way to regain your confidence and composure after Saturday's loss Nugs.....Tonight we ate the Lakers Lunch, Dinner today and breakfast tomorrow...Wow!
The only part of that game that was dissapointing was Dante jones dumb ass getting away with the "trip on kobe" that was very dirty, I don't really care for Kobe, he is okay I guess but not anyone I get excited about in the NBA. However that move by Dante on Kobe, like him or not? Was pretty dirty.

There is no such thing as remaining constant.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 9:00 PM

I've been watching this prediction market for the nuggets and it's been interesting to see how the Lakers have dropped, but the Nuggets haven't really improved in rank:

http://home.inklingmarkets.com/markets/17710

I don't think it's fair, I think the nugs have a better chance than Orlando does.

I don't know if I'd call them favorites to win the series yet since they don't have home court advantage. But it's encouraging to see that they're doing great even without mello... if the Lakers lost Kobe, they'd be dead in the water.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 10:02 PM
Robotic Construction

If the Lakers lost Kobe, it might actually force them to have to play as a team. The Lakers are one of those teams built for the regular season, built to dominate night in and night out on a consistent basis over the course of the 82 game marathon. They don't seem to be built for the physical, give it everything you have for the game at hand type of playoff play that's required to win a championship. Plus they are arrogant and do not respect their competition. Teams that don't respect their competition, tend to get bit in the rear at some point in time.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 4:32 AM

Sorry if this is off-topic:

What in the world of Carmen San Diego happen to the Cavs?
I would have never thought Orlando would be up 3-1

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 5:18 AM
Robotic Construction

The Cavs are a team that was built for the regular season. They really don't have much talent beyond LeBron James. They don't have much depth, but what they do have is great depth at bigmen, which has allowed the Cavs to take advantage of most teams in the regular season while they were resting their best bigmen,

The Orlando Magic have a bigman that no team in the NBA has an answer for. All season long, the only bigman I actually saw play Dwight Howard well was Nene. Nene played Howard well 2 out of the last 4 games they have played. The other two games, Nene got into foul trouble early, trying to guard Howard. Howard also got into foul trouble early twice, trying to guard Nene.

But what makes Orlando so effective, is Howard draws the defense into him, opening up really good jump shooters. When the Nuggets play their best basketball is when they are pounding the paint, penetrating and then passing to an open player. This holds true for Orlando as well.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 4:26 PM
Air Force Photographer

Must win!!!

Nuggets have the edge tonight to go up 3-2 in LA. JR Smith found his game and knows that he can pass the ball as well as shoot. Nuggets winning with a sick Melo by 19 points shows the Nuggets have what it takes from all 5 on the floor. LA will come hard tonight but bottom line is Kobe cant win on his own and as long as the Nuggets take care of the rest of the team.... posible series win in Denver again come Friday???? Lets hope for the best!!!

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 4:54 PM
no its not...

Very possible...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFPhoto Wolf View Post
Nuggets have the edge tonight to go up 3-2 in LA. JR Smith found his game and knows that he can pass the ball as well as shoot. Nuggets winning with a sick Melo by 19 points shows the Nuggets have what it takes from all 5 on the floor. LA will come hard tonight but bottom line is Kobe cant win on his own and as long as the Nuggets take care of the rest of the team.... posible series win in Denver again come Friday???? Lets hope for the best!!!

The Nuggets need to keep the ass kicking defense and going to the hoop on offense. The Lakers may press to fix their being dominated physically...

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 5:29 PM
Denver is the M/W Father!

Location: IN THE LAND OF MILK AND HONEY WHERE HOPS AND CANNABIS REIGN SUPREME!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald-Dregan View Post
Sorry if this is off-topic:

What in the world of Carmen San Diego happen to the Cavs?
I would have never thought Orlando would be up 3-1
1 man show! That is the problem with Cleaveland, there are 5 guys on the court for each team. When only 1 of them is your best option? No matter how good of a player, you will have your ass handed to you at some point. If the Cav's had 1 or 2 more guys contributing 35% more I think the Cav's would SMOKE Orlando...

There is no such thing as remaining constant.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 6:38 PM

I've been rooting for Orlando because I think they'd be easier for the Nuggets to (hypothetically at this point) beat.

But even if the Nuggets had nothing to do with it I always root for underdogs.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 6:46 PM
Robotic Construction

The media hypes this huge Kobe vs. LeBron NBA Finals, well before it's ever determined they will face each other--which I think was wrong in the first place. But with all do respect, why wouldn't a Melo vs. Lebron, bash of the Class of 2003 be an even bigger NBA Finals Match up? I would much rather see that, than more of the rapist/elbow throwing Kobe. I like how Jones is giving Kobe some of his own, dirty medicine and Kobe isn't liking it too much! ;-)

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 7:56 PM

I think it would be hilarious if Orlando and Denver both made it. If the NBA wants Kobe vs. Lebron then why dont they just arrange some one on one game? Otherwise, why bother having all these other teams if the NBA isn't interested in anyone other than LA and Cleveland making it to the finals.

" There is only one duty, only one safe course, and that is to try to be right and not fear to do or say what you believe." - Winston Churchill

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyderBock View Post
I like how Jones is giving Kobe some of his own, dirty medicine and Kobe isn't liking it too much! ;-)
I think I'd rather take the high ground than fight dirty, even if the other team is doing it first; I want Denver to become more popular across the country and I don't think they do that by coming across as bad guys. I hope Dahntay Jones gets a thorough talking-to by the coach - we do NOT need to lose a close game in the playoffs because of a flagrant foul, or have good players suspended. (Although I'm admitting I get considerably less mad when we do it to them than when it's the other way around.)

But I have to agree, Carmelo Anthony could just as easily be a "superstar" as Kobe or LeBron. The reason why they don't have him in the NBA promotional commercials is that they made them a while back and weren't expecting the Nuggets to make it this far through the playoffs; it's the same reason they didn't make Rockies commercials for the MLB playoffs two years ago.

I think the reason Kobe and LeBron are known as superstars is that they were the star player of teams that were winning playoffs. Now that the Nuggets are among the top 4 teams, and have, at the very least, held their own against the Lakers, Carmello Anthony is going to join those ranks as a serious nationally-renowned player rather than a local one. Getting this far through the playoffs is pretty good PR for Denver's team, especially since most commentators are saying that Denver played better even during the games they lost.

I think this season is going to have a long-term impact for the Nuggets. Even if they lost to the Lakers in this series, they've won respect and will be able to recruit better players. And while the Rockies were sort of shamed in 2007 as not having deserved to get so far, nobody is saying that about the Nuggets this year.

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 5:23 AM
no its not...

What a shame...

Karl needs to get the players off the court and re-group when its unravelling

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West