HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 4:25 AM
FYHA

I had planned on going to the park but something came up at the last minute. You have some great shots there though, and I love that last one! I'd been wondering how some of the water elements would be lit at night and that's definitely no let down. Can't wait for it to open!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecolley View Post
As a bonus, check out the new bike path which runs from east of downtown to the Brays Bayou.
That's a nice piece of pavement. The East Side is really starting to shape up.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavis4559 View Post
Feds get on board for 2 Metro light rail projects

The Federal Transit Administration is committed to helping the Metropolitan Transit Authority qualify for funding of two light rail lines by the end of the year, Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison said Tuesday.
And yet they won't back the light rail from Tyson's to Dulles Airport in DC.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattleigh View Post
Discovery Green's preview is this Saturday from 4-11!

http://www.discoverygreen.com/en/cms/?716
Cool stuff. I don't get to see news about my old high school in the press often enough, and Doc Morgan deserves the recognition. Sounds like it was a swingin' time.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 6:12 AM
Ex Houstonian

I am so glad to see this project getting finished (DG), it will improve downtown so much, especially in that area, where everything is just parking. It will spur a bunch of new towers, hopefully more then the 3 that are planned or are going up. I'll have to go down there, whenever I get back home to see it! I cant wait!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 6:45 AM
FYHA

The beginning of Discovery Tower, Titan Floorplans and a New Future for Sharpstown Center are covered in this week's Sarnoff column...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...f/5583898.html

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 9:06 AM

What is that pixelated looking piece of art/wall in the background of the picture in which people are eating at the restaurant?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 1:42 PM

Restroom.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 5:54 PM
FYHA

Thanks to the engineering in a number of the buildings in and around the Medical Center, projects like the expansion of the Alkek hospital are possible and it has recently gotten underway. It began as a 13 story building but will be 22 stories when complete.

HKS Rendering, A description of the project is located here: http://www.mccarthy.com/download/pre...MDAnderson.asp

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavis4559 View Post
What is that pixelated looking piece of art/wall in the background of the picture in which people are eating at the restaurant?
It's the entrance to the underground parking garage, not a restroom as I expected. Here's a better pic.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattleigh View Post
The beginning of Discovery Tower, Titan Floorplans and a New Future for Sharpstown Center are covered in this week's Sarnoff column...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...f/5583898.html

The description of the Titan says 80 rooms on 26 stories. I've probably made the remark before, but that suggests either big individual units or a small floor plate.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2008, 3:40 AM

I'm really digging the Discovery Green parking garage entrance.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2008, 3:52 AM
Ya Dig!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady View Post
And yet they won't back the light rail from Tyson's to Dulles Airport in DC.
While I would love for the rail line in DC to work. How much does this rail line cost compared to the these 2 lines? That maybe your answer.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2008, 12:02 PM

from today's CHRONICLE................."twin 20-story towers in Seabrook"

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5586325.html

Old Posted Mar 3, 2008, 2:50 PM
Baryonic Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady View Post
The description of the Titan says 80 rooms on 26 stories. I've probably made the remark before, but that suggests either big individual units or a small floor plate.
I think it is mostly big units. I received some sort of sales/info package in the mail. In one of the folders they show the floor plans. It seems most are quite large in terms of square footage.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2008, 3:30 PM

I must confess that when I first read 'Titan' I was expecting a taller building than 26 strories. What would we need to call a tall building, 'Gynormous' ?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2008, 5:16 PM
Endless Moments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecolley View Post
Anybody go to the preview of Discovery Green? I was very impressed with the park. It's such an improvement to the downtown area.

Here are my pics:

Ah very nice. yeah i can wait for it to open as well. Very kewl...

Old Posted Mar 3, 2008, 10:13 PM
FYHA

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...18&newsLang=en

Lewis Realty Advisors Announces HOUSTON HOT SPOTS for 2008

HOUSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Lewis Realty Advisors, one of the oldest and most respected real estate firms in Texas, has named the 2008 HOUSTON HOT SPOTS among the city’s most vibrant commercial real estate markets.

Houston-based Lewis Realty Advisors has expertly appraised, brokered, consulted and developed commercial real estate projects since 1961. The HOUSTON HOT SPOTS forecast identifies the submarkets with the fundamental strength, market momentum and catalyst developments to outpace the rest of the city in 2008.

“The Houston commercial real estate markets are outstanding and getting even better as we look ahead in the new year. Continued job growth and surging oil prices have bolstered the local office market and industrial properties. Retail centers have been supported by the large numbers of new rooftops that have been constructed,” said Matthew Deal, co-managing partner of Lewis Realty Advisors.

The Lewis Realty Advisors 2008 HOUSTON HOT SPOTS are:

GOLD MEDAL – Uptown. Certainly Houston’s – and possibly the nation’s - biggest success story is Uptown, a mixed-use submarket that has fully blossomed in the last 10 years. Uptown boasts an even mixture of residential, office and retail. Residential development always precedes commercial development and new residential projects are going up everywhere in Uptown. These new high-rise residences are fueling commercial development. Hanover recently locked up a Wulfe Company site on San Felipe west of Post Oak for a 50 or 60-story residential tower. Ritz Carlton is building a hotel/condo on a Wulfe site south of San Felipe. These ‘customers’ will feed Wulfe’s Boulevard Place development, anchored by 80,000 square-foot Whole Foods and redevelopment of existing restaurants, including Café Annie. These developments have fueled new office building announcements on Post Oak. The bottom line: Uptown is diverse and the uses feed off each other. With improved mobility on San Felipe Road and in Uptown Park and Metro rail coming, the future is bright for Uptown.

SILVER MEDAL – Downtown. New office towers are planned by Hines, Trammell Crow and other major developers as the office vacancy has dropped to its lowest point in years. But the biggest change is Finger Companies’ new high-rise residential tower, One Park Place. This will advance the population growth to help lift the CBD over the top. Since 1997, government has invested significant capital in new CBD projects – a baseball stadium, a basketball arena, Metro rail, expanded convention center, significant street improvements and a convention hotel. But the 24-hour environment so sorely needed has not come to pass. There are exceptions, such as the Bayou Place development near the Arts District, which has a vibrant night life. But many restaurants and bars on Main Street have closed. The underlying problem has been the lack of a significant number of residents in the CBD. Finger’s new residential tower is changing this. We could be seeing the start of an Uptown-like rebirth in downtown. The new Discovery Green park could be Houston’s version of Central Park, the Houston Pavilions entertainment/restaurant project by William Denton, and discussion of a second convention hotel, all point to a more diverse, mixed-use downtown.

BRONZE MEDAL - Texas Medical Center. A city in and of itself, the Med Center GDP is greater than many entire states. Med Center ‘citizens’ are highly educated with high-paying jobs. And the Med Center is expanding, resulting in more residential development, which is attracting new retail. Real estate prices in this submarket have shot up dramatically. Periphery sites to the east along Almeda Road and to the south of the Med Center that have been lying fallow for years are being purchased for high-rise and mid-rise residential development. Office space and other commercial square footage are at a premium. Medical institutions are seeking off-site, but nearby locales, for offices for accounting functions and other back-office workers and warehouses. Med Center demographics cannot be overlooked – some 75,000 people are employed there, including 10,000 doctors or other PhDs.

Lewis Realty Advisors, founded by David M. Lewis, has appraised, brokered and developed commercial real estate for almost 50 years. The Houston-based company provides consulting and advisory services for private property owners and governmental agencies. For more information: www.LewisRealty.com.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 12:32 AM

Ritz-Carlton at BLVD Place is basically official now (almost).

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBoi View Post
While I would love for the rail line in DC to work. How much does this rail line cost compared to the these 2 lines? That maybe your answer.
Sorry to say, it isn't. People at MWAA suspect that Bush's DOT is hostile to transit projects (they rejected funding of Metro once) and is trying to push the rail corridor into the hands of private developers. MWAA originally pushed to take over the project because it looked like the State of Virginia was never going to get off the dime and build the piece from Tyson's out to Dulles. The Access Highway corridor in which the rail link will be located has always belonged to MWAA; therefore MWAA is best suited to develop the rail link.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations