HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 4:31 AM

Graffiti, Art or Vandalism?

From Friday's Spec. What's your opinion is graffiti public art, or vandalism? Does it add to the cities fabric, or is it just an eyesore? Raging against the establishment, or just a bunch of punks? What do you think?

July 24, 2008
Daniel Duguay
The Hamilton Spectator
Hamilton
(Jul 24, 2008)

Spray-painting trains, tagging bus stops and defacing every available surface: It's all a part of a world that exists right underneath our noses. Hamilton's "graffiti writers" venture out day and night to spread their names, but why? Why do these individuals risk their lives to hang from buildings, climb billboards and break into train yards to draw a word that most Hamiltonians cannot read?

Is graffiti art or vandalism? Last I checked, vandalism was an intentionally targeted act of destruction to personal or public property. How can one believe that graffiti is vandalism when it's turning our bustling city into an open-exhibit art gallery? Society allows money-sucking corporations to post their ads, yet we punish individuals who bring colour to the walls of Hamilton?

Surfacing artwork is rarely accepted in its own time, and it is not usually until a more open-minded generation arrives that we appreciate the uniqueness and creativity of each piece and those who created them. Graffiti will not be stopped. It will never be found hanging from the walls of a museum. We as artists are expressing ourselves. The city of Hamilton is our canvas.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 5:58 AM

It's a disgrace where some of these punks have chosen to express their creativity. Historic structures such as the Gage Park fountain and the High Level Bridge have been defaced. Shows a lack of respect for our history and I think to those responsible for building our city.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 11:58 AM
Hammer'd

Tagging: vandalism
Graffiti: art in most cases.

Unfortunately there is a lot more of the former than the latter.

I was disgusted to see that some puke had tagged the remembrance day memorial that was plastered onto a maintenance cupboard in gore park between Hughson/John. Words can't even comprehend.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Tagging: vandalism
Graffiti: art in most cases.

Unfortunately there is a lot more of the former than the latter.

I was disgusted to see that some puke had tagged the remembrance day memorial that was plastered onto a maintenance cupboard in gore park between Hughson/John. Words can't even comprehend.
Subhumans, obviously. The 'scribbly letters' sort of idiots anyway. There are a few murals on the surrounding buildings of the 73 Hughson N parking lot, permission was obviously given for those though.

Hamilton has a big graffiti problem though. The Linc's sound barriers are constantly tagged, even worse are the signs.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 4:24 PM
I am a typical

We should white wash everything and re-institute the death penalty for anyone using colour.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 9:28 PM
Closed account

I love murals, but yea all the tags are annoying.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 12:00 PM

So far I havn't seen a single example of "Graphiti Art" in this City. There's no thought or artistic intent behind any of the tags that I've seen. This Daniel Duguay guy, is just not connected with reality if you ask me.

I assume we've all seen the recuring tags around town..

CHillenbelio
Beliox
Chillinbeliox
Free Albert
This little turtle smokes crack, this little turtle smokes pot, this little turtle does acid... (written on the Gage Park Fountain turtles in permanent marker)

Art my ass....

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 1:11 PM
Closed account

check out the back walls of the Sonic Unyon building on Wilson.
And the back of Club 77 on King William.
there was another sweet one behind the FRW Cafe on King East, but the friggin city came by and painted over it with black paint (which is now full of tags).

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 4:56 PM

"Free Albert" and "Fight Colonization" and "Free Ali D." can be found along John and Hughson.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 5:02 PM
Hammer'd

What exactly do all of those mean? I've been wondering for awhile now.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 6:50 PM

From today's online edition of thespec.com

Quote:
Police nab prolific graffiti artist

September 04, 2008
Fariba Sahraei
The Hamilton Spectator

It took a year, but Hamilton police have nabbed a graffiti artist who has been leaving his mark all over the city.

The self-styled artist has been leaving his tag across Hamilton.

Dubbed KEENUR, he has hit at least 63 locations from Stoney Creek, through the city and into Dundas.

Police caught the tagger after an appeal to neighbourhood associations for help in tracking him.

They identified where he struck and provided evidence of him vandalizing city property.

Investigators nabbed him at his home Sunday and found him with an armory of spray-paint cans, markers and other graffiti equipment.

The 18-year-old man is charged with eight counts of mischief under $5000 and one count of robbery related to a knife-point holdup

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 7:15 PM

That is great news!!!!

Now they need to publish his name and those that incurred cost to have his 'handiwork' removed should take him to small claims court to recover the cost.

They better not let this guy walk with some lame punishment.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 7:24 PM

Name will not be published as he is a young offender.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 7:44 PM
Hammer'd

Good stuff. I doubt the charges will do anything though, he'll be back at it within a year.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 7:56 PM

I'd rather look at a clean/blank wall than anything covered in graffiti. Legalized, sure i'm ok with it, but I hate any tags, any unauthorized artwork that shouldn't be there.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 7:57 PM
Closed account

I thought age 18 was considered an adult?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
Name will not be published as he is a young offender.
18 is not young offender, or did he just turn 18 and the crimes were committed when he was 16, 17?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 8:07 PM

Take a look at the picture in the article, http://thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/429587.

This guy is responsible for more than just 63 Keenur's......

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 8:09 PM

The young offenders act is no more, I don't know what the rules are now.

His punishment will likely be a fine and community service or something, so he'll be back at it again soon. Of course, as much as I dislike tagging, I really wouldn't want people thrown in jail for stuff like this anyway. I think he should have to pay restitution to those whose property he's damaged, or go around repainting (properly) the surfaces he's defaced.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 8:10 PM
It's Hammer Time

Get him to pay for the paint and make him cover up the tags, each and everyone one of them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion