HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 4:11 AM

I'm not trying to smash Birmingham its a very very nice city but for starters it cant get a team because the cities that top the list for NBA teams are more than likely not getting which was what David Stern said. The way OKC got its team was because New Orleans had hurricane Katrina and they moved to ford center which was temporary and tested the OKC market which proved fans could fill the stands for all the games. then OKC Pop. is 599,199 and B'HAM Pop. is 212,038 and now in these days when the NBA looks at small cities it only looks at the ones that support basketball and have a Pop. around 500,000 or above or the cities metros are at least 1,500,000 that don't have existing Major League teams. However Salt Lake city is smaller than B'HAM but it got its team in 1979 when the NBA was small and was looking at a lot of places to expand. Plus financial problems caused by the state of Louisiana and no local corporate support. Another thing is that B'HAM is pretty much the next door neighbor of Atlanta which the NBA wont like because they will consider it too close and will make it part of Hawks market. But why is an NBA team all that good it really didn't do anything for Memphis, New Orleans, OKC except help out tourism a little bit. Sure they make the cities look better but its nothing if you don't win a championship. Why has Birmingham never thought of a D-League team or a WNBA team both are pretty cheap and the WNBA only has one team in the south while the D-League has none

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 5:33 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Hey Kids, hold up while I formulate a response.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 6:02 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Warren View Post
I'm not trying to smash Birmingham its a very very nice city but for starters it cant get a team because the cities that top the list for NBA teams are more than likely not getting which was what David Stern said. The way OKC got its team was because New Orleans had hurricane Katrina and they moved to ford center which was temporary and tested the OKC market which proved fans could fill the stands for all the games. then OKC Pop. is 599,199 and B'HAM Pop. is 212,038 and now in these days when the NBA looks at small cities it only looks at the ones that support basketball and have a Pop. around 500,000 or above or the cities metros are at least 1,500,000 that don't have existing Major League teams. However Salt Lake city is smaller than B'HAM but it got its team in 1979 when the NBA was small and was looking at a lot of places to expand. Plus financial problems caused by the state of Louisiana and no local corporate support. Another thing is that B'HAM is pretty much the next door neighbor of Atlanta which the NBA wont like because they will consider it too close and will make it part of Hawks market. But why is an NBA team all that good it really didn't do anything for Memphis, New Orleans, OKC except help out tourism a little bit. Sure they make the cities look better but its nothing if you don't win a championship. Why has Birmingham never thought of a D-League team or a WNBA team both are pretty cheap and the WNBA only has one team in the south while the D-League has none
Hey, troll, your point?

The last time the NBA was mentioned in this thread was August of 2012.

If you're basing your opinions, or suggestions, on 2012 I think you should really take a look in the mirror... maybe you'll realize that what is behind you isn't what you have to look forward to. You should probably focus on yourself.

Nothing you had to say has any bearing on what is happening, or will happen, in Birmingham. You probably think you're being constructive, but you're really just telling people in the Birmingham that they should settle. I certainly do not mean that embracing a WNBA team is settling, but you implied that an NBA team is overly ambitious.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 10:58 AM
The Salty Ham

Iove how some of them always start off with something like: "I love/like Birmingham and think it's neat/cool/okay BUT ..." and then go full troll after that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
At first I sighed. I'm just tired of everything about this city having to be about civil rights. But if it is done right and supposedly contrasts today with yesterday or if it is just done right it'll still be good for the city.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 11:31 PM
Burming Hammer

the title itself gives me concern, because it immediately conjures up images of our violent past.

still, AMC has a proven track record these past few years... hopefully the story of present-day birmingham is positive.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 11:34 PM
Burming Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Warren View Post
lol this came out of nowhere...

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 1:37 PM

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 7:39 PM
Sarcasm for everyone!

I'm so glad we're getting some positive national attention!
Birmingham has one of the best downtowns!

Link to Article

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 7:05 PM

BRAVO, it's been my experience that open minded people without agendas totally fall in love with Birmingham once they visit. It happened to me, and I have a lot friends and clients that feel the same way.

I also know several exec types that lost their locally based jobs, but still stay and now commute to new jobs in far flung places. You guys live in a great place, trust me. It's more of a blessing than a curse that it fly's under the radar, in my opinion. You really don't want massive, unbridled growth - it would destroy the beauty of the metro. Not that you ever indicated you want that...

Last edited by atlantaguy; Mar 23, 2014 at 7:19 PM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 3:06 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Anyone looking for good news in the Census estimates for July 2013?

Among all 7 counties in the Birmingham-Hoover Metro Area, every county's population either increased or it's population decrease slowed compared to previous years' estimates.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 4:16 AM
Burming Hammer

City of Birmingham's population decline seems to have slowed to a trickle the past few years... Maybe we'll finally see it start heading back in the right direction.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 10:09 PM
The Salty Ham

I'm hopeful that Birmingham has stopped it's decline and is moving in a positive direction. I'm also hoping Tuscaloosa and Gadsden (and maybe Anniston) get added to the CSA.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 3:38 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I'm hopeful that Birmingham has stopped it's decline and is moving in a positive direction. I'm also hoping Tuscaloosa and Gadsden (and maybe Anniston) get added to the CSA.
I think the possibility exists for Anniston to be added a short time after the I-20 widening is finally complete. The increased capacity might make it more appealing for someone to commute.

I don't know if Tuscaloosa will ever be added as long as it's job growth rate outpaces Birmingham. It would probably take some pretty impressive job growth around Birmingham to make much of a difference.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 12:40 AM

With all the new apartments and condo development going on downtown and southside, some local expert real estate developers are wondering if some of the new developments will ever get off the ground, an article in the Birmingham Business Journal stated they think the developments that are farther out from UAB, Regions and Rail Road Park, it may be harder for them to lease out. I would love to see all of them come to reality and do well. But you have to wonder if those experts have a point.
But I like to think that they all will do well regardless of where they are.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 1:13 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamablazer View Post
With all the new apartments and condo development going on downtown and southside, some local expert real estate developers are wondering if some of the new developments will ever get off the ground, an article in the Birmingham Business Journal stated they think the developments that are farther out from UAB, Regions and Rail Road Park, it may be harder for them to lease out. I would love to see all of them come to reality and do well. But you have to wonder if those experts have a point.
But I like to think that they all will do well regardless of where they are.
I read that article as well. I think it's definitely important to keep in mind when considering all of this activity. However, I don't know if I agree completely. For one thing, real estate has always been developed conservatively in Birmingham (the entire state, for that matter). I think that might be changing a little bit in regards to downtown Birmingham, but I think it is still holding true generally.

As far as I can tell, none of the announced projects are located unreasonably far from destination locations. The Lakeview projects are all located within easy walking distance of entertainment and food. Then Parkside, as we know is an easily enjoyable neighborhood to live in and is close to virtually everything a resident needs (except grocery which should change soon).

Cityville is pretty much too far from all of the amenities, which is why its sidewalks always seem so dead. People drive home and take the elevator, they don't even have to really walk outside. However, with the Rotary Trail coming along, that will change quickly.

It's an issue you shouldn't take lightly, but as it is I don't think we've gotten to a point that it's a problem.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
I read that article as well. I think it's definitely important to keep in mind when considering all of this activity. However, I don't know if I agree completely. For one thing, real estate has always been developed conservatively in Birmingham (the entire state, for that matter). I think that might be changing a little bit in regards to downtown Birmingham, but I think it is still holding true generally.

As far as I can tell, none of the announced projects are located unreasonably far from destination locations. The Lakeview projects are all located within easy walking distance of entertainment and food. Then Parkside, as we know is an easily enjoyable neighborhood to live in and is close to virtually everything a resident needs (except grocery which should change soon).

Cityville is pretty much too far from all of the amenities, which is why its sidewalks always seem so dead. People drive home and take the elevator, they don't even have to really walk outside. However, with the Rotary Trail coming along, that will change quickly.

It's an issue you shouldn't take lightly, but as it is I don't think we've gotten to a point that it's a problem.
After all, we do have a lot of people commuting to UAB and Downtown from far greater distances. 5th, 6th,7th Avenues South and 8th/University BLVD are all a straight shot to UAB and Downtown.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 7:14 PM
Ikonic Exposure

Hi, I'm from your twin city in England, if you are interested here's my photo page of Birmingham UK

:~}

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ikoni...14581051892464

Occupy Birmingham.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 6:46 PM
Burming Hammer

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 8:13 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
I can't believe I didn't notice that when it was posted! Great news for BHM.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 8:25 AM
Cat Enthusiast

I was in downtown Birmingham on May 5th, 2014, here are some snaps I took!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast